A soldier on Mac/9 month regiments

  • Pa128th@aol.com
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 31 7:41 AM
      In a message dated 3/31/02 9:57:55 AM Eastern Standard Time, awturner@... writes:

      .<<  There were 11 or so such PA regiments recruited for 9 months in response to Old Abe's call for "300,000 more."  There was much dickering about  the term of service between Stanton's and  Gov. Curtin's offices before deciding on  the 9-month term.  Later on, nine months grew closer to ten -- at least for the 132nd -- for reasons I'm not sure about.

      The 9-month Pennsylvanians had it easy, so to speak --  just Antietam, Fredericksburg and Chancellorsville. :-)>>

      Actually there were 16,  9 month regiments from PA.  The 9 months was used as a fear factor - join for 9 months before the draft is implemented - who knows how long you will be in, that kind of thing.      But it was by no means getting away easy for the 9 month guys - especially those who were killed at Antietam.  Their baptism by fire became their first and last battle, to include the Colonel of the 128th, Samuel Croasdale.

      Also, many of those who fought with 9 month units signed up again , to include James Magill, whose letter I quoted from.   The Captain of Co. F, Christian Frankenfield enlisted 4 different times.  Don't assume that most of the men who signed up for 9 months were taking the "easy" way out.  Most who survived,  reenlisted.  I have found in my research that many signed up because of recruitment in the area, 9 months just happened to be what it was at the time.

      For those in the XII corps, they missed Fredericksburg - got there too late.  So the 124th, 125th and 128th only fought in 2 battles, Antietam and Chancellorsville.

      Paula

    • Turner
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 31 8:29 AM
        Re: [TalkAntietam] A soldier on Mac/9 month regiments on 3/31/02 10:41 AM, Pa128th@... at Pa128th@... wrote:

        >> The 9 months was used as a fear factor - join for 9 months before the draft is implemented - who knows how long you will be in, that kind of thing.      But it was by no means getting away easy for the 9 month guys - especially those who were killed at Antietam... Don't assume that most of the men who signed up for 9 months were taking the "easy" way out.  <<

        If I hit a nerve here, Paula, that was not my intent and I apologize.  I meant it facetiously when I wrote: "The 9-month Pennsylvanians had it easy, so to speak...:-) " I doubt that a single one of those 12-15,000 guys processed through Camp Curtin in August, 1862, actually thought he was having it easy or was headed toward a soft tour of duty.

        Tony

      • Pa128th@aol.com
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 31 8:54 AM
          In a message dated 3/31/02 11:30:18 AM Eastern Standard Time, awturner@... writes:

          If I hit a nerve here, Paula, that was not my intent and I apologize.  I meant it facetiously when I wrote: "The 9-month Pennsylvanians had it easy, so to speak...:-) " I doubt that a single one of those 12-15,000 guys processed through Camp Curtin in August, 1862, actually thought he was having it easy or was headed toward a soft tour of duty.

          Thanks for your concern Tony.   I have been hit with that before.  It is just that quite a few of these 9 month men were the first to sign up for the 90 day enlistments, such as Croasdale and Frankenfield, but yet they came back for 9 more months and as I mentioned, Frankenfield enlisted 2 more times after the 128th.  Croasdale, as I mentioned was killed in the early stages of the battle.  In fact, the spot where he was killed is referred to as Croasdale's Knoll.  Mentioned in soldiers' letters, as many refer to LRT at Gettysburg.  The assumption was that everyone knew where they meant.

          Paula

          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 31 3:52 PM
            Paula,

            Maybe I am incorrect and you are correct? But if it was not a PA
            unit, perhaps it might have been a unit from one of the other
            states. But I do seem to recall a nine month unit refusing to
            serve at Chancellorsville due to their enlistments expiring, and
            being made to fight anyways.....

            Your humble servant,
            Gerry Mayers
            Co. B, "Tom Green Rifles",

            Edward Lee

            • Pa128th@aol.com

                Message 7 of 10 , Mar 31 7:23 PM

                  Paula wrote:

                  Don't recall this Gerry - perhaps you are thinking of the 4th Pa on the eve of the battle of Bull Run?  Their 90 day enlistments were running out, and it was embarassment to John Hartranft, later Colonel(and later General and Governor of Pa) of the 51st Pa of Burnside Bridge fame.
                  Paula,

                      Gerry may be thinking about an incident that occurred with 6 companies of the 34th N.Y. and John Gibbon. These men had enlisted for 2 years and according to them their enlistment was at an end shortly before Chancellorsville. However the War Dept. had declared that the date of enlistment began, not when they had signed their enlistment papers but when their regiment was "officially" mustered in.  These men, some 50-75, were close to mutiny and their commander, Brig. Gen. Sully, feeling he couldn't handle the situation turned to Gibbon. Gibbon ordered the men marched on to a field under guard. Marksmen were waiting for them with orders to shoot if the men refused to return to their companies. Gen. Gibbon appealed to their patriotism and then told them he would not hesitate to give the order to fire. The men returned to their posts. Gibbon had Sully relieved but a court of inquiry reversed Gibbon's decision. However Sully was banished to the Dakotas. Shades of the 2nd Maine at Gettysburg, no?

                  Regards,
                  Teej

                • Pa128th@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 10 , Apr 1, 2002
                    In a message dated 3/31/02 10:25:21 PM Eastern Standard Time, teej@... writes:

                    Gen. Gibbon appealed to their patriotism and then told them he would not hesitate to give the order to fire. The men returned to their posts. Gibbon had Sully relieved but a court of inquiry reversed Gibbon's decision. However Sully was banished to the Dakotas. Shades of the 2nd Maine at Gettysburg, no?

                    Teej:

                    I do recall this now - in fact, Sully is buried in the Philly area, I can't recall where, but I remember coming across his grave and looking up some info on him.

                    Thanks,

                    Paula
                  • Teej Smith
                    Message 9 of 10 , Apr 1, 2002

                      Paula wrote:

                      Teej:

                      I do recall this now - in fact, Sully is buried in the Philly area, I can't recall where, but I remember coming across his grave and looking up some info on him.
                      Paula,
                          Sully is buried in Laurel Hill.in Philadelphia. If I may, before Brian tosses me, I think Gibbon was just worn out and felt Sully should have been able to handle this situation on his own.
                      Teej

                    • Pa128th@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 10 , Apr 1, 2002
                        In a message dated 4/1/02 5:39:10 PM Eastern Standard Time, teej@... writes:

                        Sully is buried in Laurel Hill.in Philadelphia. If I may, before Brian tosses me, I think Gibbon was just worn out and felt Sully should have been able to handle this situation on his own.

                        Well Teej, I give tours at Laurel Hill, but I couldn't remember if he was there or the other Cemetery near there - St James the Less, which has some CW folks.  For some reason, I thought he was in St. James.  I need to check out Sully.

                        Thanks,

                        Paula