Re: [TalkAntietam] Re: A soldier on Mac

  • Turner
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 31, 2002
      Re: [TalkAntietam] Re: A soldier on Mac on 3/31/02 8:26 AM, John Furey at antietam@... wrote:

      Hi Tony
      The 128th was recruited in response to the Gov. on 7/21/62, and were mustered in on the 13th to 15th, 1862 for 9 mos.

      Thanx, John.   Same deal with the 132nd PA.  There were 11 or so such PA regiments recruited for 9 months in response to Old Abe's call for "300,000 more."  There was much dickering about  the term of service between Stanton's and  Gov. Curtin's offices before deciding on  the 9-month term.  Later on, nine months grew closer to ten -- at least for the 132nd -- for reasons I'm not sure about.

      The 9-month Pennsylvanians had it easy, so to speak --  just Antietam, Fredericksburg and Chancellorsville. :-)

      BTW did you see the JF in Dave's column - thats me. The only one to push for Chris Simms.

      Need I remind you that there's more to a QB than just a name? :-)  I remember going to Pittsburgh Pirates' games in the early '40s and trying to cheer on Joe DiMaggio's brother, Vince.  Another brother, Dom,  played for the Red Sox and was pretty good, but all that Vince DiMaggio ever seemed to do was strike out.

      Tony