Re: [TalkAntietam] Re: Capture of Longstreet's ammunition train, 9/15

  • Robert Moore
    Message 1 of 20 , Sep 7, 2009
      Excellent description... thank you Larry. I figured that there must have been more Union units involved considering the diverse range of regiments involved in the breakout. I need to look back at some of the details of the "exodus," but it seems to me that Cole's was at the head of the column.

      Robert

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 20 , Sep 7, 2009
        Larry,

        I forgot to ask... where did you find the quote?

        Robert

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 20 , Sep 7, 2009
          Robert,

          Francis W. Dawson, "Reminiscences of Confederate Service, 1861-1865," (Charleston, SC: The News and Courier Book Presses, 1882; reprint: Baton Rouge, LA: Louisiana State University Press, 1980), ed. By Bell I. Wiley, 64-66.

          Larry

          --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, Robert Moore <cenantua@...> wrote:

          > Larry,
          >
          > I forgot to ask... where did you find the quote?
          >
          > Robert
          >

          > ________________________________

        • Robert Moore
          Message 4 of 20 , Sep 7, 2009
            Thank you again, Larry,

            Robert

            ________________________________

            Message 5 of 20 , Sep 7, 2009
              Robert,

              You are correct. Apparently Cole's was in the lead; let me know if you need more:

              Fortunately for the escaping troopers, an experienced guide formerly used by Gen. Nathanial P. Banks and White, Thomas Noakes, knew the area well and helped guide the escape column.

              Major Augustus W. Corliss, the commander of the College Cavaliers, "In characteristic language…assured them that by the `next morning they would either be in Pennsylvania, or in hell, or on their way to Richmond.' He gave directions for a thorough grooming of the horses and inspection of saddle girths, and for such other slight preparations as it was practicable to make for the perilous ride." Capt. Means leading the Loudoun Rangers was outraged at the surrender plans but "he and his Rangers had special reasons to avoid capture. Since they were Virginians, they could be hanged as traitors." Their local knowledge would also be valuable in guiding the long column through the dark night.

              At about 8 P.M. when night had fully fallen, the commands formed up, forage was distributed, and the 1,500 troopers slowly rode down Shenandoah Street for the pontoon bridge led by Cole's Cavalry with Lt. Green in the lead who knew the area along with Noakes. A treat awaited the troopers courtesy of some sutlers who realized that their goods would shortly be taken by the Rebels: "As [the troopers] moved forward towards the bridge, men on each side of the column were seen handing up something which looked in the distance like a little piece of paper, and the students began to wonder if those `Christian Commissioners' were giving them tracts….they reached down their hands and grasped a paper of fine cut tobacco" being given away to `the heroes of the evening.'"

              Larry

              Message 6 of 20 , Sep 7, 2009
                Larry;

                Any idea who that Confederate artillery Lt. was?

                Message 7 of 20 , Sep 7, 2009
                  Larry;

                  You answered my question before I posted it. Dawson was, IIRC,
                  part of Longstreet's staff at the time. What people do not know
                  about him was that his second wife was Sarah Morgan, who left a
                  great diary of life in Baton Rouge during the War. Dawson also
                  wrote some poetry.

                  Message 8 of 20 , Sep 7, 2009

                    You are correct. He was on Longstreet's staff as as an assistant ordnance officer and was placed in charge of Longstreet's ordnance train heading for Williamsport when captured. Sarah Morgan wrote "A Confederate Girl's Diary." Dawson served initially in the Conf. States Navy then as a volunteer in Purcell's Battery. After the war, he was a reporter for the Richmond Examiner, then the Dispatch, next the National Express and Transportation Company, then the Charleston Mercury, then the Charleston News. His Reminiscenses include a poem of his, "Only A Private."

                    Message 9 of 20 , Sep 18, 2009
                      Larry,
                      Great posts lately, just one minor point. Alexander was an Ordnance officer at this time, not yet commanding any artillery.
                      Tom

                      >>> "eighth_conn_inf" <eighth_conn_inf@...> 09/18/09 9:33 AM >>>
                      As Dean states and as Brian has written on AotW, the loss of the ammo for the ANV artillery was important.

                      The practical effect of the loss of much ammunition for Lee's artillery meant that there was not ample ammunition for Rebel guns during the battle on the 17th. Edward Porter Alexander in charge of Longstreet's artillery wrote that "when I arrived at Shepherdstown, about noon on the 16th, with my ordnance train, and rode across the river and reported to Lee, I was ordered to collect all empty wagons and go to Harper's Ferry and take charge of the surrendered ammunition; bringing back to Sharpsburg all suiting our calibres, and sending to Winchester whatever we could not use in the field. The prospect of this addition to our supply was grateful, for the expenditures had been something, at Boonsboro, Crampton's Gap, and Harper's Ferry; and the loss of the 45 loads, burned by the [enemy] cavalry, had been a severe blow at such a distance from our base at Culpeper. I was soon on my way back, and encamped that night with many wagons not far from Harper's Ferry." (Alexander, Military Memoirs of A Confederate, 242.)

                      Larry F.

                      Message 10 of 20 , Sep 18, 2009
                        Thanks Tom for that reminder!

                        Here is the correction: "Lt. Col. Edward Porter Alexander, Chief of Ordnance for the Army of Northern Virginia...." My HF escape chapter is nearly completion.

                        Alexander said about this incident in his other book that he and his wagons had to return 13 miles to HF which certainly supports Jim Rosebrock's measurements--~13 vice Hill's 17.

                        BTW, for tomorrow's fording, are you leading the 2:30 or 3:30 crossing?

                        Message 11 of 20 , Sep 18, 2009
                          The 2:30 tour. Just talked to Tom McGrath tonight, he is looking forward to the tour too. Joe Harsh and I could never figure out the 17 mile story. I think we got 14 or so, but it certainly is not 17.

                          >>> "eighth_conn_inf" <eighth_conn_inf@...> 09/18/09 4:16 PM >>>
                          Thanks Tom for that reminder!

                          Here is the correction: "Lt. Col. Edward Porter Alexander, Chief of Ordnance for the Army of Northern Virginia...." My HF escape chapter is nearly completion.

                          Alexander said about this incident in his other book that he and his wagons had to return 13 miles to HF which certainly supports Jim Rosebrock's measurements--~13 vice Hill's 17.

                          BTW, for tomorrow's fording, are you leading the 2:30 or 3:30 crossing?

                          > Larry,
                          > Great posts lately, just one minor point. Alexander was an Ordnance officer at this time, not yet commanding any artillery.
                          > Tom

                          > As Dean states and as Brian has written on AotW, the loss of the ammo for the ANV artillery was important.
                          >
                          > The practical effect of the loss of much ammunition for Lee's artillery meant that there was not ample ammunition for Rebel guns during the battle on the 17th. Edward Porter Alexander in charge of Longstreet's artillery wrote that "when I arrived at Shepherdstown, about noon on the 16th, with my ordnance train, and rode across the river and reported to Lee, I was ordered to collect all empty wagons and go to Harper's Ferry and take charge of the surrendered ammunition; bringing back to Sharpsburg all suiting our calibres, and sending to Winchester whatever we could not use in the field. The prospect of this addition to our supply was grateful, for the expenditures had been something, at Boonsboro, Crampton's Gap, and Harper's Ferry; and the loss of the 45 loads, burned by the [enemy] cavalry, had been a severe blow at such a distance from our base at Culpeper. I was soon on my way back, and encamped that night with many wagons not far from Harper's Ferry." (Alexander, Military Memoirs of A Confederate, 242.)
                          >
                          > Larry F.
                          >
                          > --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, Dean Essig <d.essig@> wrote:
                          > >
                          > > On Sep 7, 2009, at 8:41 AM, troyacool@ wrote:
                          > >
                          > > > Is there any idea of the amount of ordinance lost or how it
                          > > > effected the campaign or SOP.
                          > >

                          > > Given the paucity of ammo in the army reserve trains (using the 30
                          > > Jun 63 ANVa ordnance receipts in Brown's Retreat from Gettysburg as a
                          > > guide), Longstreet's trains would have represented somewhere between
                          > > 33 and 50% of the army's artillery reserve ammunition.
                          > >
                          > > Far less than that percentage when it comes to small arms ammo, as it
                          > > was more distributed into divisional trains.
                          > >
                          > > Artillery ammunition was frightfully limited for the ANVa at
                          > > Sharpsburg (and that doesn't even address the organizational
                          > > confusion at the army train park at the Grove Farm).
                          > >
                          > > Dean

                        • Jim Rosebrock
                          Message 12 of 20 , Sep 18, 2009
                            Looking forward to the tour tomorrow. Will see you at the 2:30 trek
                            Regards
                            Jim

                            ________________________________

                            --- In TalkAntietam@ yahoogroups. com, "Thomas Clemens" <clemenst@.. .> wrote:

                            > Larry,
                            > Great posts lately, just one minor point. Alexander was an Ordnance officer at this time, not yet commanding any artillery.
                            > Tom

                            > As Dean states and as Brian has written on AotW, the loss of the ammo for the ANV artillery was important.
                            >
                            > The practical effect of the loss of much ammunition for Lee's artillery meant that there was not ample ammunition for Rebel guns during the battle on the 17th. Edward Porter Alexander in charge of Longstreet's artillery wrote that "when I arrived at Shepherdstown, about noon on the 16th, with my ordnance train, and rode across the river and reported to Lee, I was ordered to collect all empty wagons and go to Harper's Ferry and take charge of the surrendered ammunition; bringing back to Sharpsburg all suiting our calibres, and sending to Winchester whatever we could not use in the field. The prospect of this addition to our supply was grateful, for the expenditures had been something, at Boonsboro, Crampton's Gap, and Harper's Ferry; and the loss of the 45 loads, burned by the [enemy] cavalry, had been a severe blow at such a distance from our base at Culpeper. I was soon on my way back, and encamped that night with many wagons not far from Harper's
                            Ferry." (Alexander, Military Memoirs of A Confederate, 242.)

                            > Larry F.
                            >
                            > --- In TalkAntietam@ yahoogroups. com, Dean Essig <d.essig@> wrote:
                            > >
                            > > On Sep 7, 2009, at 8:41 AM, troyacool@ wrote:
                            > >
                            > > > Is there any idea of the amount of ordinance lost or how it
                            > > > effected the campaign or SOP.
                            > >

                            > > Given the paucity of ammo in the army reserve trains (using the 30
                            > > Jun 63 ANVa ordnance receipts in Brown's Retreat from Gettysburg as a
                            > > guide), Longstreet's trains would have represented somewhere between
                            > > 33 and 50% of the army's artillery reserve ammunition.
                            > >
                            > > Far less than that percentage when it comes to small arms ammo, as it
                            > > was more distributed into divisional trains.
                            > >
                            > > Artillery ammunition was frightfully limited for the ANVa at
                            > > Sharpsburg (and that doesn't even address the organizational
                            > > confusion at the army train park at the Grove Farm).
                            > >
                            > > Dean

                          • Dean Essig
                            Message 13 of 20 , Sep 18, 2009

                              We got 10.9 from the where the Hill route hits US 340 to the stop
                              sign where Trough Road hits River Road at the Ford.

                              Your 14 sounds about right once you add the rest of the way up to the
                              southern part of the field and the distance into the center of HF.

                              Hill's 17 mile number is either an intentional misrepresentation to
                              make his march look better (or at least less inefficient) than it
                              really was, or he wrote "12" and the "2" was miss-read as a "7".

                              Either way, 17 is way off.

                              Dean

                              Message 14 of 20 , Sep 20, 2009
                                Just reading this now. Thanks for coming, it was great to have you along.