Re: A soldier on Mac

  • Turner
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 30, 2002
      Re: A soldier on Mac on 3/30/02 12:17 PM, Pa128th@... at Pa128th@... wrote:

      I found this letter among my 128th Pa research.  It was written by  Pvt. James Magill of New Hope, Pa.  He used the word thee for you, but he spelled it "the" so I will use his spelling but to make it easy to read I will write it as such: the(e)...

      Hi, Paula,
         Did Magill -- apparently a Quaker -- write any other letters you  can quote.  I'm curious about the struggles of conscience he may well have experienced about going to war at all.  My own ggf's letters to his Quaker family deal some with the same personal conflict.
         Please contact me  privately  if you  have access to such letters.   My ggf was not an Antietam; therefore we might drift off-topic.

         On another matter, on-topic, you quote Magill as having written:

      "I tell the(e) the army was nearly exhausted after the first days fight and quite likely if
      we had followed them up we would have been whiped, although I sometimes that we should have . . . but if we had we would have lost more by starvation than by bullets."

         How else could a very green soldier have viewed the Battle of Antietam after fighting in the cornfield?  Wasn't the 128th one of those 9-month regiments recruited and trained (barely) in August of 1862?

      Tony Turner

    • John Furey
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 31, 2002
        Hi Tony
        The 128th was recruited in response to the Gov. on 7/21/62, and were mustered in on the 13th to 15th, 1862 for 9 mos.
        BTW did you see the JF in Dave's column - thats me. The only one to push for Chris Simms.
        John

        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 31, 2002
          Re: [TalkAntietam] Re: A soldier on Mac on 3/31/02 8:26 AM, John Furey at antietam@... wrote:

          Hi Tony
          The 128th was recruited in response to the Gov. on 7/21/62, and were mustered in on the 13th to 15th, 1862 for 9 mos.

          Thanx, John.   Same deal with the 132nd PA.  There were 11 or so such PA regiments recruited for 9 months in response to Old Abe's call for "300,000 more."  There was much dickering about  the term of service between Stanton's and  Gov. Curtin's offices before deciding on  the 9-month term.  Later on, nine months grew closer to ten -- at least for the 132nd -- for reasons I'm not sure about.

          The 9-month Pennsylvanians had it easy, so to speak --  just Antietam, Fredericksburg and Chancellorsville. :-)

          BTW did you see the JF in Dave's column - thats me. The only one to push for Chris Simms.

          Need I remind you that there's more to a QB than just a name? :-)  I remember going to Pittsburgh Pirates' games in the early '40s and trying to cheer on Joe DiMaggio's brother, Vince.  Another brother, Dom,  played for the Red Sox and was pretty good, but all that Vince DiMaggio ever seemed to do was strike out.

          Tony