Re: Supplemental OR question

    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 28, 2009
      Gerry

      More or less; those regiments were not in the road but apparently did play tangential roles before and after. PM me at killsour@... with your mailing address and I will mail photocopies of those pages.

      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 28, 2009
        Thanks!

        Will do so shortly per your request.

        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 28, 2009
          Does anyone know by which first name people addressed Napoleon Jackson
          Tecumseh Dana? Any chance it was Charles? Thanks.

          Stephen
        • RoteBaron
          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 28, 2009
            He did have a son named Charles Peaslee Dana.
            Source: "Monterrey Is Ours: The Mexican War Letters of Lt. Dana"

            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 30, 2009

              That is awesome. Thanks. Any chance that it says when Charles lived?

              Stephen

              Message 6 of 10 , Aug 30, 2009
                Stephen,

                You may have already seen this from Google Books, Harvard Register vol. 3 p. 54:

                "1871. CHARLES PEASLEE DANA, a son of Major-General N. J. T. Dana, formerly of the U. S. Army, died at Colorado Springs, Col, Oct. 14, 1880. After graduation he studied law in San Francisco, Cal., for a short time, and in the spring of 1872 entered a business life in the iron mills. In San Francisco he attached himself to the Pacific Rolling Mills, intending to follow the iron business for life. He was subject, however, to great exposure in going to the mills, and in the winter of 1873 suffered from an attack of pneumonia. This compelled him to change his plans, and from San Francisco he went to Chicago, 111., and engaged in the railroad business with his father in the office of the General Superintendent of the Chicago, Burlington, and Quincy Railroad. In the employ of the same company he was afterwards located successively at Joliet, 111., Quincy. 111., and Council Bluffs, la. He then went to Omaha, Neb., where he again suffered from pneumonia. Later he spent two years at Rock Island, 111., and in 1879 went to St. Louis, Mo., from there he removed to the plains for his health, and thence to Colorado Springs, where he died."

                Larry F.

                Message 7 of 10 , Aug 30, 2009
                  Stephen,

                  And this also from Google Books, ANNUAL REUNION OF THE ASSOCIATION GRADUATES OF THE UNITED STATES MILITARY ACADEMY, AT WEST POINT, NEW YORK, June 14th, 1904.

                  "General Dana was of New England ancestry. His father's family, already mentioned, were from Massachusetts and New Hampshire and his mother was Miss Mary A. Harris of Portsmouth, N. H. He was a nephew of Captain Whipple Harris of the Class of 1825, U. S. M. A. In 1844 General Dana was married in St. Louis to Sue Martin Sandford, of Kentucky. Their married life extended over sixty years and was one of great happiness. Their children were, Mary Langdon Dana, who died in 1904, aged fifty-nine; Charles Peaslee Dana, who died at the age of thirty in 1880; Dr. Alfred S. Dana, who died in 1901, aged forty-nine. Mary Dana, the only daughter, was married in 1870, to General John C. Tidball, U. S. A. Lieutenant William Tidball, A. C., is a grandson of General Dana and greatly resembles his grandfather in many ways. The other grandchildren of General Dana are Mrs. Robert B. Potter and Miss Mabel Tidball, who with William Tidball, are the children of his daughter Mary, and Alfred L. Dana and Winifred L. Dana, the children of his son Alfred.

                  General Napoleon Jackson Tecumseh Dana was born at Fort Sullivan, Eastport, Maine, April 15th, 1822.

                  Children of General Dana: Mary Langdon Dana, born at Fort Pike, on the Island of Petite Coquille, La., March 22, 1845; Charles Peaslee Dana, born at Fort Ripley, Minnesota Territory, August 15th, 1849; Alfred Sandford Dana, born at Louisville, Ky., November 18th, 1851."