RE: [TalkAntietam] Re: Questions

  • Andy & Kim Mills
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 29, 2002
      Gerry

      I understand what you are saying: but the sunken road happened long before
      Burnside was blunted by Hill and Mac had plenty of reserves as well. I
      think it would have been different if he had attacked with everything he
      had, but he didn't.

      Andy

      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 30, 2002
        Andy:

        Most people would agree. However, Burnside's initial orders were
        to only make a "demonstration" against the Rohrback or Lower
        Bridge rather than a full scale attack.

        When the orders were changed, notice came via courier rather than
        Mac himself riding down to Burnside to explain the change in
        plans.

        Also, Burn was somewhat miffed that the Wing structure of the AoP
        which had worked so well during the initial phases of the
        campaign was abolished right before the battle.

        Your humble servant,
        Gerry Mayers
        Co. B, "Tom Green Rifles",

        Edward Lee

        Sponsor ---------------------~-->
        > Access Your PC from Anywhere
        > Check Email & Transfer files - Free Download
        > http://us.click.yahoo.com/NxtVhB/3XkDAA/_ZuFAA/GmiolB/TM
        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • james2044
        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 23, 2002
          Wanted to get your thoughts on some items.

          First, do how do you feel about Sumner's performance on the field?
          Do you feel his age was a problem?

          Second, how do you feel about the author and the book?

          Stephen W. Sears

          Joseph L. Harsh

          Last, what do you think went wrong with the AOP's battle plan(s) and
          who was at fault?