Re: [TalkAntietam] "Leaden day"

    Message 1 of 13 , Jul 2, 2009
      Dear Stephen,

      Could you quote where the word is used, please?

    • Scott Hann
      Message 2 of 13 , Jul 3, 2009
        Thanks for going to the trouble, Tom. I'm beginning to think that I have my battles mixed up. Or, maybe I'm thinking of something Rufus Dawes said instead. Have a safe and Happy 4th of July, Scott

        Message 3 of 13 , Jul 19, 2009
          Has anyone heard of a historian that would have been hanging around
          Sharpsburg circa 1910 by the name of Ropes? His first name may have
          been Chuck. Thanks.
          Message 4 of 13 , Jul 20, 2009
            Hmm. John Codman Ropes, of MA, wrote his History of the Civil War in the 1890's and had a large section on Antietam. I'm not aware of him writing anything else about it after that. Maybe a son?

            Message 5 of 13 , Jul 20, 2009
              Stephen,

              Given the date of 1910, it is probably not the historian John Codman Ropes (1836-1899)who did much writing about the ACW. I have not found anything showing that he visited Sharpsburg at all. Carman (Pierro) cites him on page 193 re Franklin.

              Larry F.

              Message 6 of 13 , Jul 20, 2009
                Thanks, Larry. I might have the date wrong. I'll check back when I
                confirm.

                Stephen

                Message 7 of 13 , Jul 20, 2009

                  Thanks. Perhaps when I find the correct date it might be what this Mr.
                  Ropes was alive.

                  Stephen

                  Message 8 of 13 , Jul 26, 2009
                    I am trying to find out about Maggie Boteler, a resident of
                    Shepherdstown who hosted a number of wounded Confederates after
                    Antietam.

                    I'd like to know where her house is (was?). Also, in The Antietam
                    Campaign book, Robert Krick has an article called "Sharpsburg's Bloody
                    Lane" that references an auction catalog from November 30, 1996,
                    Signature House, Monkton, MD, that includes letters form Margie. Does
                    anyone have a copy of this catalog or know where I can get a look at
                    the letters contained therein?

                    Thanks,
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jul 26, 2009
                      Dear Stephen,

                      I have "The Antietam Campaign" book edited by Gary Gallagher with
                      Krick's essay about the Sunken Road. What is the footnote
                      reference page for Maggie Boteler?

                      Also, have you thought of contacting the Shepherdstown Historical
                      Society for information on where she lived at the time?

                      Message 10 of 13 , Jul 26, 2009
                        Gerry,,

                        It is note #31 on page #253. Thanks.

                        Stephen