Re: [TalkAntietam] "Leaden day"

    Message 1 of 13 , Jul 2 4:30 AM
      Scott,

      If you Google "leadan day antietam" you will get a hit for Pennsylvania
      at Antietam. You must spell Leadan with two 'a's.

      Stephen

      Message 2 of 13 , Jul 2 7:45 AM
        Dear Stephen,

        Could you quote where the word is used, please?

      • Scott Hann
        Message 3 of 13 , Jul 3 12:53 AM
          Thanks for going to the trouble, Tom. I'm beginning to think that I have my battles mixed up. Or, maybe I'm thinking of something Rufus Dawes said instead. Have a safe and Happy 4th of July, Scott

          Message 4 of 13 , Jul 19 6:31 PM
            Has anyone heard of a historian that would have been hanging around
            Sharpsburg circa 1910 by the name of Ropes? His first name may have
            been Chuck. Thanks.
            Message 5 of 13 , Jul 20 8:08 AM
              Hmm. John Codman Ropes, of MA, wrote his History of the Civil War in the 1890's and had a large section on Antietam. I'm not aware of him writing anything else about it after that. Maybe a son?

              Message 6 of 13 , Jul 20 9:31 AM
                Stephen,

                Given the date of 1910, it is probably not the historian John Codman Ropes (1836-1899)who did much writing about the ACW. I have not found anything showing that he visited Sharpsburg at all. Carman (Pierro) cites him on page 193 re Franklin.

                Larry F.

                Message 7 of 13 , Jul 20 5:10 PM
                  Thanks, Larry. I might have the date wrong. I'll check back when I
                  confirm.

                  Stephen

                  Message 8 of 13 , Jul 20 6:30 PM

                    Thanks. Perhaps when I find the correct date it might be what this Mr.
                    Ropes was alive.

                    Stephen

                    Message 9 of 13 , Jul 26 8:31 AM
                      I am trying to find out about Maggie Boteler, a resident of
                      Shepherdstown who hosted a number of wounded Confederates after
                      Antietam.

                      I'd like to know where her house is (was?). Also, in The Antietam
                      Campaign book, Robert Krick has an article called "Sharpsburg's Bloody
                      Lane" that references an auction catalog from November 30, 1996,
                      Signature House, Monkton, MD, that includes letters form Margie. Does
                      anyone have a copy of this catalog or know where I can get a look at
                      the letters contained therein?

                      Thanks,
                      Message 10 of 13 , Jul 26 11:15 AM
                        Dear Stephen,

                        I have "The Antietam Campaign" book edited by Gary Gallagher with
                        Krick's essay about the Sunken Road. What is the footnote
                        reference page for Maggie Boteler?

                        Also, have you thought of contacting the Shepherdstown Historical
                        Society for information on where she lived at the time?

                        Message 11 of 13 , Jul 26 11:42 AM
                          Gerry,,

                          It is note #31 on page #253. Thanks.

                          Stephen