Re: [TalkAntietam] "Leaden day"

    Message 1 of 13 , Jul 1, 2009
      Scott,
      No, it does not show up in his OR rreports, Herbert's bio or any letters to the Battlefield Board that I have seen so far. Sorry.
      Tom

      >>> "Scott Hann" <sdhann@...> 06/27/09 2:39 PM >>>
      Perhaps I have my battles mixed up, but I thought it was Maj.-Gen. Hooker who referred to the morning of the battle of Antietam as a "dark and leaden day" or something to that effect. Does this quote ring a bell with anyone? Thanks, Scott
      Message 2 of 13 , Jul 2, 2009
        Scott,

        If you Google "leadan day antietam" you will get a hit for Pennsylvania
        at Antietam. You must spell Leadan with two 'a's.

        Stephen

        Message 3 of 13 , Jul 2, 2009
          Dear Stephen,

          Could you quote where the word is used, please?

        • Scott Hann
          Message 4 of 13 , Jul 3, 2009
            Thanks for going to the trouble, Tom. I'm beginning to think that I have my battles mixed up. Or, maybe I'm thinking of something Rufus Dawes said instead. Have a safe and Happy 4th of July, Scott

            Message 5 of 13 , Jul 19, 2009
              Has anyone heard of a historian that would have been hanging around
              Sharpsburg circa 1910 by the name of Ropes? His first name may have
              been Chuck. Thanks.
              Message 6 of 13 , Jul 20, 2009
                Hmm. John Codman Ropes, of MA, wrote his History of the Civil War in the 1890's and had a large section on Antietam. I'm not aware of him writing anything else about it after that. Maybe a son?

                Message 7 of 13 , Jul 20, 2009
                  Stephen,

                  Given the date of 1910, it is probably not the historian John Codman Ropes (1836-1899)who did much writing about the ACW. I have not found anything showing that he visited Sharpsburg at all. Carman (Pierro) cites him on page 193 re Franklin.

                  Larry F.

                  Message 8 of 13 , Jul 20, 2009
                    Thanks, Larry. I might have the date wrong. I'll check back when I
                    confirm.

                    Stephen

                    Message 9 of 13 , Jul 20, 2009

                      Thanks. Perhaps when I find the correct date it might be what this Mr.
                      Ropes was alive.

                      Stephen

                      Message 10 of 13 , Jul 26, 2009
                        I am trying to find out about Maggie Boteler, a resident of
                        Shepherdstown who hosted a number of wounded Confederates after
                        Antietam.

                        I'd like to know where her house is (was?). Also, in The Antietam
                        Campaign book, Robert Krick has an article called "Sharpsburg's Bloody
                        Lane" that references an auction catalog from November 30, 1996,
                        Signature House, Monkton, MD, that includes letters form Margie. Does
                        anyone have a copy of this catalog or know where I can get a look at
                        the letters contained therein?

                        Thanks,
                        Message 11 of 13 , Jul 26, 2009
                          Dear Stephen,

                          I have "The Antietam Campaign" book edited by Gary Gallagher with
                          Krick's essay about the Sunken Road. What is the footnote
                          reference page for Maggie Boteler?

                          Also, have you thought of contacting the Shepherdstown Historical
                          Society for information on where she lived at the time?

                          Message 12 of 13 , Jul 26, 2009
                            Gerry,,

                            It is note #31 on page #253. Thanks.

                            Stephen