Re: [TalkAntietam] Re: re Murfin and description of Sunken Road fight

    Message 1 of 18 , Jun 22 9:07 AM
      Dear Larry;

      I think what Murfin is trying to say is the fight in the Sunken
      Road developed into much the same type of slugfest as had
      happened in The Cornfield before.

      I will read your response more fully and comment at another time.

      Also, please try to snip your email responses. Thanks!

    • mchardy@michaelchardy.com
      Message 2 of 18 , Jun 23 6:23 AM
        Larry and Gerry – there was a second Confederate line for a brief amount of time behind the Sunken Road.  This line was composed of Pryor’s brigade, under the command Col. John C. Hately of the 5th Florida.  The brigade advanced past the Piper orchard and the Federals, not being able to hit much in the lane, turned their fire (infantry and artillery) upon them. At least one point the brigade stopped in the cornfield, probably leading some to write of a second line.  Some members of Pryor’s brigade stopped behind the sunken road, some jumped into the road and intermingled with the Confederate troops there, and some pushed ahead past the road, only to be beaten back. Featherston’s brigade came in next.  Soon thereafter, the Confederate line collapsed. The loses of one of Pryor’s regiments, the 8th Florida, is estimated at fifty-seven percent.

        Your “Colonel Coppens” is Lt. Col. Georges Augustus Gaston de Coppens, who just that morning had turned over the command of his battalion of Louisiana Zouaves to command the Floridians.

        Regards,
        Michael C. Hardy
        www.michaelchardy.com

        Message 3 of 18 , Jun 23 6:55 AM
          Dear Michael,

          Thank you for that post; it was very helpful.

          Was not Coppens mortally wounded or killed at the Sunken Road?

          Message 4 of 18 , Jul 17, 2009

            Believe that Coppens was killed along the Hagerstown Pike.

            Mike Peters

            Message 5 of 18 , Jul 19, 2009
              Thanks!

            • bdowney@aotw.org
              Message 6 of 18 , Jul 19, 2009
                One more perspective on this:

                "Col. Coppen [sic] was killed almost immediately after getting fire, in
                the cornfield below the stone barn near bloody lane! Capt. Richard A.
                Waller then assumed command [of 8th Florida Inf] as senior Capt. and was
                also killed with the colors of the regiment draped over his shoulders,
                almost immediately afterward, the flagstaff having been shot in two, &
                the color bearer and color guard beig [sic] all either killed or
                wounded"...
                - postwar letter of former Capt (later Colonel) David Lang, 8th
                Florida, to E. A. Carman, Antietam Battlefield Commission. Transcribed
                by Mr. Studnicki at Civil War Florida
                (http://www.civilwarflorida.com/site/sources/letters/show_letter.php?letterREF=2).

                Message 7 of 18 , Jul 19, 2009
                  Brian,

                  So Coppens' unit or brigade was part of the overall Sunken Road
                  fight?

                  "Col. Coppen [sic] was killed almost immediately after getting
                  fire, in
                  the cornfield below the stone barn near bloody lane! Capt.
                  Richard A.
                  Waller then assumed command [of 8th Florida Inf] as senior Capt.
                  and was
                  also killed with the colors of the regiment draped over his
                  shoulders,
                  almost immediately afterward, the flagstaff having been shot in
                  two, &
                  the color bearer and color guard beig [sic] all either killed or
                  wounded"...
                  - postwar letter of former Capt (later Colonel) David Lang, 8th
                  Florida, to E. A. Carman, Antietam Battlefield Commission.
                  Transcribed
                  by Mr. Studnicki at Civil War Florida
                  (http://www.civilwarflorida.com/site/sources/letters/show_letter.php?letterREF=2).

                • Brian Downey
                  Message 8 of 18 , Jul 19, 2009
                    Yes. Georges Augustus Gaston De Coppens was in command of the 8th Florida, in Pryor's Brigade of Anderson's Division. He had been appointed to that Regiment from his own - the 1st Louisiana (Zouaves) Infantry Battalion - by Genl Pryor immediately before the battle due to a lack of field officers present with the 8th FL.

                    The 8th FL advanced through Piper's orchard and cornfield toward the Sunken Road. Coppens looks to have been killed on that route.

                    His Louisiana Zouaves were under command of his brother Marie Alfred Coppens at Sharpsburg. They fought in Starke's Brigade along the Hagerstown Pike at the Miller Cornfield that morning.

                    Message 9 of 18 , Oct 3, 2009
                      Larry;

                      What do the maps in the Armstrong's book about the Second Corps
                      show for earlier in the Sunken Road action? Especially positions
                      of the regiments in G B Anderson's brigade?