Re: [TalkAntietam] re Murfin and description of Sunken Road fight

    Message 1 of 18 , Jun 22, 2009
      Dear Dean,

      No, I do not have "Unfurl Those Colors". What does Vince
      Armstrong mention about French's attack and any possible
      secondary line in the Piper fields of Confederates?

      Murfin originally published his book in 1965.

      Message 2 of 18 , Jun 22, 2009

        Carman (Pierro p. 294) states:

        "The Confederate line went back from the sunken road in some confusion, and when Caldwell followed into the corn
        the confusion was increased and disorder reigned supreme. Brigade and regimental commanders undertook to rally their
        broken commands but found it impossible to do so, and the greater part of Hill's and Anderson's Divisions fell back to the
        Piper buildings and under cover of the ridge running from the barn to the Hagerstown
        Road; some were rallied behind
        the stone fences of the road, and all this at the time Longstreet was counting on their holding the sunken road and cooperating
        in the attack upon Kimball's flank by a united movement on Richardson's front and flank. Cooke and Cobb had
        moved promptly and been repulsed, but when the time came for the assistance of Hill's and Anderson's Divisions they had
        been driven from the sunken road and were in disorder. After great effort parts of each division were rallied and charged
        northeast through the orchard and corn to attack Richardson's left, Miller's Battery (with a small infantry support) being
        left in the orchard to hold the right and center in check. It is impossible to say with any degree of certainty how the brigades
        were formed in line. There is a general agreement that regiments and brigades were intermingled one with another and
        considerably disorganized and demoralized by the loss of an unusually large number of officers and many of the men. In a
        general sense D. H. Hill's Division was on the left, but when the charge had reached its limit some of his men were on the
        extreme right of R. H. Anderson's."

        Armstrong on p. 238, map 24, 12:15 PM, shows four Rebel regiments from left to right: 12 AL, 5 FL, 9 AL, and 4 NC. He discusses mainly Union activities not much about Confederate.

        CC map for Noon to 12:15 PM is less definitive than Armstrong's; the two regiments on either side of Miller's battery facing the Union advance are not labeled. Margin notes on the CC map for 1 PM echo Carman: "At 1 P.M., Anderson's and D.H. Hill's divisions had lost all organization, regiments and brigades being broken up and intermingled and in positions along the stone fences of the Hagerstown road and behind the ridge running from the road to and beyond Piper's barn; G.T. Anderson's brigade only preserved its organization."

        Larry F.

        Message 3 of 18 , Jun 22, 2009
          Larry;

          What Murfin is saying in his book appears to be about when the
          initial Federal attacks occurred...not later.

          Message 4 of 18 , Jun 22, 2009

            I haven't found anything about a second Confederate line to the rear of the sunken road so it is curious that Murfin makes a small point about this on p. 250: "It was the cornfield all over again. The first line halted, re-formed and moved again. And again they were stopped. Across the road, in the Piper fields, Rebel infantry fired over the heads of their comrades direct into the faces of the enemy." CC does show the Piper cornfield right up to the sunken road but the first sentence here I believe refers to the fighting in the Cornfield earlier in the day. From the material quoted below, there definitely war firing by Rebels in the Piper cornfield before the retreat from the lane but unless more evidence turns up, perhaps it was only as Confederate units were coming up or maybe some few men wanted a better vantage point to shoot Yankees.

            Carman describes the Piper cornfield on p. 278: "Behind Anderson's entire line and extending to the left, to the center of Rodes's
            Brigade, was a field of dense corn. In many places in rear this ground was much higher than the sunken road and looked directly down into it. The road was a natural rifle-pit." Also on p. 295: "The cornfield ran east and west for 560 yards along the south of the sunken road, and from north to south had an average
            depth of 210 yards, being deepest in front of the apple orchard, which lay beyond its western end."

            On p. 287 perhaps another opportunity for over head firing: "Colonel
            Coppens of the 8th Florida was killed and, immediately after, Captain Richard A. Waller, who succeeded him in command, fell dead with the colors of the regiment draped over his shoulders. Every regiment suffered great loss. Passing through the cornfield the left of the brigade came up in rear of the right wing of the 14th North Carolina, the right extending beyond the 4th North Carolina."

            Also on p. 291: " Gibson's withdrawal was followed by that of Wilcox's Brigade. This brigade, as we have seen, had been sent to the ridge south of the Piper house. After observing the advance of Pleasonton's cavalry from the Middle Bridge to the ridge midway to the Antietam, and that it stopped there, the brigade recrossed the Hagerstown Road, then again crossed it east (north of the Piper lane), moved northeast through the orchard to the northeast corner of the cornfield, and became heavily engaged on Pryor's right —but the entire brigade did not succeed in reaching the sunken road. It lost heavily in its advance and when reaching position was confronted by "a heavy compact line of infantry about 120 yards in front," and a battery of artillery on its right flank "shelled it with terrible accuracy."50 It remained until Pryor and Featherston gave way, when it retreated in some disorder, every man for himself, and rallied in the low ground south of the corn near the Piper lane and a few yards east of the lower part of the orchard. A few men remained in the sunken road and were captured."

            When Wright's Brigade came up from the Piper Farm earlier in the day and advanced thru the cornfield to the sunken road, Carman states: "As soon as the fence was torn down sufficiently to admit passage in place, the brigade moved through the orchard
            obliquely toward the northeast corner of the cornfield, all the time under artillery fire, and when it reached the high ground
            in the cornfield came under musketry fire and men fell by the score. While going through the orchard Wright's horse was
            torn in pieces by a shell and the general thrown to the ground. Disengaging himself from the fallen horse he led his brigade
            through the cornfield, and as he approached the sunken road his left came up in rear of the right wing of the 30th North
            Carolina, receiving such a severe and unexpected fire as it emerged from the corn that it was driven back, but soon rallied
            and took ground to the right. Wright was shot down and Colonel Robert H. Jones of the 22d Georgia (who succeeded to the command) was wounded and disabled by a musket ball that went through his breast. The brigade, reduced to about 250 men, reached the sunken road on G. B. Anderson's right and lay down in it, and Colonel William Gibson of the 48th Georgia assumed command."

            Murfin also briefly talks about Anderson's advance but does so immediately after his "over the heads" quote.

            Any other sources? From what I've found so far, there was no organized Rebel line just south of the sunken road early in the fight. But as the ground at the north end of the cornfield was higher than the sunken road, maybe some troops took positions there to take advantage of that elevation? Armstrong on p. 224 states: "Among the factors contributing to the abandonment of the charge by the 69th New York was the fact that the 29th Massachusetts on its left did not move forward with it. Osborne recalled that while the 69th and the 63rd New York on the flanks of the 29th were suffering greatly from the fire coming from the sunken road, the 29th itself 'was protected by a little ridge in its front and a slight depression of the ground upon which it stood.' This singular topographical feature not only shielded the New Englanders from the fire coming from the sunken raod, but it gave them a clear shot awith their longer range Springfield and Enfield rifed muskets over the line in the road at the enemy in the cornfield beyond, the shots of the 29th 'cutting off the stalks of green corn as would a scyth, and having their effect upon the enemy who were hiding there.'"

            Looks like Carman stated something similar on p. 286: "We have stated that the 29th Massachusetts covered a depression in the ridge between the 69th and 63d New York. It had been under heavy infantry and artillery fire in its advance, which it returned, but on reaching its position about one hundred yards from the road ceased firing, for it could not see the enemy in the road nor could the enemy see it, as it was in the depression between the higher ground on its right and left, and the ridge along the sunken road completely sheltered it.
            But it had a good range upon the cornfield in rear of the road, which was on higher ground opening wide before it, its shots cutting down the stalks of green corn as would a scythe and having their effect upon the enemy who were hiding there or who came up as supports to those in the road. From these it received a severe fire."

            And on p. 281: "On the right of the 14th Connecticut, on high ground, well protected by the fences of the Mumma lane and the outcropping rocks, was the detachment of the 1st Delaware, and 280 yards to the right and rear was Tompkins's battery, which poured a constant fire of shell and case shot upon the Confederates in the sunken road and in the cornfield beyond it."

            Larry F.

            Message 5 of 18 , Jun 22, 2009
              Dear Larry;

              I think what Murfin is trying to say is the fight in the Sunken
              Road developed into much the same type of slugfest as had
              happened in The Cornfield before.

              I will read your response more fully and comment at another time.

              Also, please try to snip your email responses. Thanks!

            • mchardy@michaelchardy.com
              Message 6 of 18 , Jun 23, 2009
                Larry and Gerry – there was a second Confederate line for a brief amount of time behind the Sunken Road.  This line was composed of Pryor’s brigade, under the command Col. John C. Hately of the 5th Florida.  The brigade advanced past the Piper orchard and the Federals, not being able to hit much in the lane, turned their fire (infantry and artillery) upon them. At least one point the brigade stopped in the cornfield, probably leading some to write of a second line.  Some members of Pryor’s brigade stopped behind the sunken road, some jumped into the road and intermingled with the Confederate troops there, and some pushed ahead past the road, only to be beaten back. Featherston’s brigade came in next.  Soon thereafter, the Confederate line collapsed. The loses of one of Pryor’s regiments, the 8th Florida, is estimated at fifty-seven percent.

                Your “Colonel Coppens” is Lt. Col. Georges Augustus Gaston de Coppens, who just that morning had turned over the command of his battalion of Louisiana Zouaves to command the Floridians.

                Regards,
                Michael C. Hardy
                www.michaelchardy.com

                Message 7 of 18 , Jun 23, 2009
                  Dear Michael,

                  Thank you for that post; it was very helpful.

                  Was not Coppens mortally wounded or killed at the Sunken Road?

                  Message 8 of 18 , Jul 17, 2009

                    Believe that Coppens was killed along the Hagerstown Pike.

                    Mike Peters

                    Message 9 of 18 , Jul 19, 2009
                      Thanks!

                    • bdowney@aotw.org
                      Message 10 of 18 , Jul 19, 2009
                        One more perspective on this:

                        "Col. Coppen [sic] was killed almost immediately after getting fire, in
                        the cornfield below the stone barn near bloody lane! Capt. Richard A.
                        Waller then assumed command [of 8th Florida Inf] as senior Capt. and was
                        also killed with the colors of the regiment draped over his shoulders,
                        almost immediately afterward, the flagstaff having been shot in two, &
                        the color bearer and color guard beig [sic] all either killed or
                        wounded"...
                        - postwar letter of former Capt (later Colonel) David Lang, 8th
                        Florida, to E. A. Carman, Antietam Battlefield Commission. Transcribed
                        by Mr. Studnicki at Civil War Florida
                        (http://www.civilwarflorida.com/site/sources/letters/show_letter.php?letterREF=2).

                        Message 11 of 18 , Jul 19, 2009
                          Brian,

                          So Coppens' unit or brigade was part of the overall Sunken Road
                          fight?

                          "Col. Coppen [sic] was killed almost immediately after getting
                          fire, in
                          the cornfield below the stone barn near bloody lane! Capt.
                          Richard A.
                          Waller then assumed command [of 8th Florida Inf] as senior Capt.
                          and was
                          also killed with the colors of the regiment draped over his
                          shoulders,
                          almost immediately afterward, the flagstaff having been shot in
                          two, &
                          the color bearer and color guard beig [sic] all either killed or
                          wounded"...
                          - postwar letter of former Capt (later Colonel) David Lang, 8th
                          Florida, to E. A. Carman, Antietam Battlefield Commission.
                          Transcribed
                          by Mr. Studnicki at Civil War Florida
                          (http://www.civilwarflorida.com/site/sources/letters/show_letter.php?letterREF=2).

                        • Brian Downey
                          Message 12 of 18 , Jul 19, 2009
                            Yes. Georges Augustus Gaston De Coppens was in command of the 8th Florida, in Pryor's Brigade of Anderson's Division. He had been appointed to that Regiment from his own - the 1st Louisiana (Zouaves) Infantry Battalion - by Genl Pryor immediately before the battle due to a lack of field officers present with the 8th FL.

                            The 8th FL advanced through Piper's orchard and cornfield toward the Sunken Road. Coppens looks to have been killed on that route.

                            His Louisiana Zouaves were under command of his brother Marie Alfred Coppens at Sharpsburg. They fought in Starke's Brigade along the Hagerstown Pike at the Miller Cornfield that morning.

                            Message 13 of 18 , Oct 3, 2009
                              Larry;

                              What do the maps in the Armstrong's book about the Second Corps
                              show for earlier in the Sunken Road action? Especially positions
                              of the regiments in G B Anderson's brigade?