Re: [TalkAntietam] South Carolina Rosters

    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 15, 2009
      Tom;

      Did a Google search and came up with this site:

      http://batsonsm.tripod.com/b/arba2.html

      You have to scroll way down on the page but in the box with
      information about Boyce's unit, there are some books listed etc.

        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 15, 2009
          Dear Tom,

          Ok. Not sure if you had seen that, but I was thinking maybe some
          of the books mentioned might be of help?

          Does anyone have access to the Broadfoot SC Rosters? I am trying
          to write a mini-biography of Capt. Robert Boyce, Macbeth Battery.
          Any help wiould be appreciated. Thank you.

        • flagflop
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 16, 2009

            > Thanks Gerry. I saw that too and it just re-hashes what I already knew. WIsh I could find birth/death dates, occupation, etc.
            >
            > Thomas G. Clemens D.A.

            Tom, I have a suggestion, but it could take some time and connections.
            The South Carolina message board on "History-Sites dot com" may get a quick answer to the basic question as you posed it here. (These folks sell National Archives' compiled service record cards photocopied from microfilm, but the participants on the message board are surprisingly helpful.) URL is http://history-sites.com/cgi-bin/bbs53x/sccwmb/webbbs_config.pl

            Depending upon the bio info you may have accumulated, Ancestry dot com could be useful in fleshing him out. Useful to know date of birth (although approximations can be worked around) and home or residence (which may be inferred from unit he enlisted in). (A query on Genealogy dot com, now affiliated with Ancestry, may also be productive and even find a kinsman.)

            I have successfully used the above, in combination with the NPS "soldiers and sailors" website for a "quick and dirty" check on name and unit, and been pleasantly surprised with what comes up.
            Dave Gaddy