Re: [TalkAntietam] Re: CC Map Question

  • Larry Freiheit
    Message 1 of 24 , May 25, 2009
      No rush, thx Tom.

      --- On Mon, 5/25/09, Thomas Clemens <clemenst@...> wrote:

      From: Thomas Clemens <clemenst@...>
      Subject: Re: [TalkAntietam] Re: CC Map Question
      To: TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Monday, May 25, 2009, 10:07 AM

      OK, but it won't be anytime soon. I am rushing to finish some other
      stuff and go out of town for a week.

      >>> "eighth_conn_ inf" <eighth_conn_ inf@yahoo. com> 05/24/09 10:09 PM >>>
      Tom,

      I also am interested in the changes as well as a set of the 1908 maps.
      The best for them would be full size on sturdy, laminated paper,
      obviously clearly printed in non fading ink as discussed below.

      If you think this is possible, you could PM me with an estimated cost
      just in case I don't win the lottery.

      TR, it would be interesting to see the 3rd PR book's map.

      Larry

      Message 2 of 24 , May 25, 2009
        Dear Tom,

        What would such a project cost? Would it be something SHAF could
        offer at a discount to members?

> [...]
        >> differences between the two. Maybe Tom Clemens who is writing
        >> about
        > Carman
        >> may have that version copied or at least talk about the
        >> differences. I
        >> recall someone--Jake Pierro--mentioned that the LOC has both
        >> 1904 and
        > 1908
        >> versions but only has the 1904 on its website.
        >> Someday someone may have a good printing done of the the 1908
        >> version
        > and
        >> maybe even some done of some of the original prints of the OR
        >> maps but
        > my
        >> guess is neither is likely to happen unless CWPT or some
        >> wealthy CW
        > fan
        >> ponies up the required funds since neither will be best

      • Dave
        Message 3 of 24 , May 29, 2009

          I think one could compare a high-quality printing run with Morningside's
          printing of the Bachelder maps. They printed them years ago, and the
          set of 28 (37 x 27) run $250. They've been that price for many years,
          and I think that's a very fair price. I don't have them, but I've seen
          them, and they are the quality we would like to see in the CC maps (much
          better than the one in the museum). If someone was willing to have them
          printed, I would make sure that they had the money in hand from those
          interested before starting out. My feeling is that $20-$25 for each map
          would be a good price, but that's still a lot of money for most folks
          and I don't believe it could be done that cheaply in any event. Maybe
          we can turn this in as a Stimulus package request.

          Dave McGowan