Re: [TalkAntietam] Re: CC Map Question

    Message 1 of 24 , May 24 3:11 PM
      Somewhere in the papers from Carman I found a listing of the changes.
      Will see if I can find it for you. We have 8 x10 color negatives of the
      1908 maps. Maybe I should look into printing them poster-size?

      >>> T.R.Livesey <tlivesey@...> 05/24/09 3:08 PM >>>
      Larry,

      I have never had access to a 1908 version to compare. My guess is that
      the
      differences between the 2 are minor. A hint of possible changes can be
      extracted
      from 1906 correspondence from Carman reprinted in the commemorative
      volume of the
      Pennsylvania Reserves (pp 95-8). There is a dispute between the Antietam
      Battlefield Commission of Pennsylvania and Carman about the proposed
      placement of
      the monuments for the 8th, 7th, 4th, and 3rd PR: they want the order to
      be 8th
      7th 4th and 3rd, whereas Carman's map shows 8th 3rd 4th 7th. After
      making his
      case, Carman laments : ”It is unfortunate that this matter was not
      discussed
      earlier. My atlas has been published two years, and a copy sent to each
      regimental organization with the request that any apparent errors might
      be
      reported, but not a criticism has been made of any position of the First
      Corps,
      and but one or two trifling ones in other corps.” I don't know if the
      1908
      edition was altered to reflect the commission's version. The monuments
      were
      placed as per Carman's recommendation. Whatever the case, as late as
      1906, Carman
      was unaware of 'non-trifling' discrepancies of the 1904 version.

      BTW, the fold-out map that accompanies the PR volume is a real gem: a
      beautiful
      depiction of the battlefield at the turn of the century (before the
      various
      bypasses were built) in color and wonderful topographical detail (20 ft
      interval
      contour lines). One of the nicest maps out there.

      T.R. Livesey
      tlivesey@...

      On Sun 05/24/09 12:51 PM , "eighth_conn_inf" eighth_conn_inf@...
      sent:
      > TR,
      >
      > I looked at some of your flybys and they are interesting; thanks for
      > sharing them. I will be instructive to see what Stephen comes up with
      for
      > Virtual Antietam.
      > I've never heard that anyone owns the 1908 CC version let alone
      listing the
      > differences between the two. Maybe Tom Clemens who is writing about
      Carman
      > may have that version copied or at least talk about the differences. I
      > recall someone--Jake Pierro--mentioned that the LOC has both 1904 and
      1908
      > versions but only has the 1904 on its website.
      > Someday someone may have a good printing done of the the 1908 version
      and
      > maybe even some done of some of the original prints of the OR maps but
      my
      > guess is neither is likely to happen unless CWPT or some wealthy CW
      fan
      > ponies up the required funds since neither will be best sellers.
      > Larry

    • T.R.Livesey
      Message 2 of 24 , May 24 6:06 PM

        I'd be interested in the list of changes.

        T.R. Livesey
        tlivesey@...

        On Sun 05/24/09 5:11 PM , "Thomas Clemens" clemenst@... sent:

        Message 3 of 24 , May 24 7:09 PM

          I also am interested in the changes as well as a set of the 1908 maps. The best for them would be full size on sturdy, laminated paper, obviously clearly printed in non fading ink as discussed below.

          If you think this is possible, you could PM me with an estimated cost just in case I don't win the lottery.

          TR, it would be interesting to see the 3rd PR book's map.

          Larry

          --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, T.R.Livesey <tlivesey@...> wrote:

          > Tom,
          >
          > I'd be interested in the list of changes.
          >
          > T.R. Livesey
          > tlivesey@...
          >

          > On Sun 05/24/09 5:11 PM , "Thomas Clemens" clemenst@... sent:
          > > Somewhere in the papers from Carman I found a listing of the changes.
          > > Will see if I can find it for you. We have 8 x10 color negatives of
          > > the1908 maps. Maybe I should look into printing them poster-size?
          > >
          > > Thomas G. Clemens D.A.
          > > Professor of History
          > > Hagerstown Community College

          > > I have never had access to a 1908 version to compare. My guess is that
          > > the
          > > differences between the 2 are minor. A hint of possible changes can be
          > > extracted
          > > from 1906 correspondence from Carman reprinted in the commemorative
          > > volume of the
          > > Pennsylvania Reserves (pp 95-8). There is a dispute between the
          > > AntietamBattlefield Commission of Pennsylvania and Carman about the proposed
          > > placement of
          > > the monuments for the 8th, 7th, 4th, and 3rd PR: they want the order to
          > > be 8th
          > > 7th 4th and 3rd, whereas Carman's map shows 8th 3rd 4th 7th. After
          > > making his
          > > case, Carman laments : ”It is unfortunate that this matter was
          > > notdiscussed
          > > earlier. My atlas has been published two years, and a copy sent to each
          > > regimental organization with the request that any apparent errors might
          > > be
          > > reported, but not a criticism has been made of any position of the
          > > FirstCorps,
          > > and but one or two trifling ones in other corps.” I don't know if
          > > the1908
          > > edition was altered to reflect the commission's version. The monuments
          > > were
          > > placed as per Carman's recommendation. Whatever the case, as late as
          > > 1906, Carman
          > > was unaware of 'non-trifling' discrepancies of the 1904 version.
          > >
          > > BTW, the fold-out map that accompanies the PR volume is a real gem: a
          > > beautiful
          > > depiction of the battlefield at the turn of the century (before the
          > > various
          > > bypasses were built) in color and wonderful topographical detail (20 ft
          > > interval
          > > contour lines). One of the nicest maps out there.
          > >
          > > T.R. Livesey
          > > tlivesey@...

        • T.R.Livesey
          Message 4 of 24 , May 24 8:51 PM
            http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/BookDetailsPL?bi=125511040&searchurl=sts%3Dt%26tn%3Dpennsylvania%2Breserves%2Bat%2Bantietam%26x%3D0%26y%3D0

            T.R. Livesey
            tlivesey@...

            On Sun 05/24/09 9:09 PM , "eighth_conn_inf" eighth_conn_inf@... sent:

            Message 5 of 24 , May 25 7:07 AM
              OK, but it won't be anytime soon. I am rushing to finish some other
              stuff and go out of town for a week.

              >>> "eighth_conn_inf" <eighth_conn_inf@...> 05/24/09 10:09 PM >>>
              Tom,

> [...]

              > > FirstCorps,
              > > and but one or two trifling ones in other corps.†I don't know if
              > > the1908
              > > edition was altered to reflect the commission's version. The
              monuments
              > > were
              > > placed as per Carman's recommendation. Whatever the case, as late as
              > > 1906, Carman
              > > was unaware of 'non-trifling' discrepancies of the 1904 version.
              > >
              > > BTW, the fold-out map that accompanies the PR volume is a real gem:
              > > beautiful
              > > depiction of the battlefield at the turn of the century (before the
              > > various
              > > bypasses were built) in color and wonderful topographical detail (20
              ft
              > > interval
              > > contour lines). One of the nicest maps out there.

            • Larry Freiheit
              Message 6 of 24 , May 25 11:19 AM
                No rush, thx Tom.

                OK, but it won't be anytime soon. I am rushing to finish some other
                stuff and go out of town for a week.

                >>> "eighth_conn_ inf" <eighth_conn_ inf@yahoo. com> 05/24/09 10:09 PM >>>
                Tom,

                Message 7 of 24 , May 25 2:22 PM
                  Dear Tom,

                  What would such a project cost? Would it be something SHAF could
                  offer at a discount to members?

> [...]
                  >> differences between the two. Maybe Tom Clemens who is writing
                  >> about
                  > Carman
                  >> may have that version copied or at least talk about the
                  >> differences. I
                  >> recall someone--Jake Pierro--mentioned that the LOC has both
                  >> 1904 and
                  > 1908
                  >> versions but only has the 1904 on its website.
                  >> Someday someone may have a good printing done of the the 1908
                  >> version
                  > and
                  >> maybe even some done of some of the original prints of the OR
                  >> maps but
                  > my
                  >> guess is neither is likely to happen unless CWPT or some
                  >> wealthy CW
                  > fan
                  >> ponies up the required funds since neither will be best

                • Dave
                  Message 8 of 24 , May 29 2:56 PM

                    I think one could compare a high-quality printing run with Morningside's
                    printing of the Bachelder maps. They printed them years ago, and the
                    set of 28 (37 x 27) run $250. They've been that price for many years,
                    and I think that's a very fair price. I don't have them, but I've seen
                    them, and they are the quality we would like to see in the CC maps (much
                    better than the one in the museum). If someone was willing to have them
                    printed, I would make sure that they had the money in hand from those
                    interested before starting out. My feeling is that $20-$25 for each map
                    would be a good price, but that's still a lot of money for most folks
                    and I don't believe it could be done that cheaply in any event. Maybe
                    we can turn this in as a Stimulus package request.

                    Dave McGowan