Re: CC Map Question

    Message 1 of 24 , May 9 5:27 AM
      T.R. and Dave,

      The large printed maps do seem to muddy some details and the colors aren't as good; they are just not as clear as the screen version. Apparently it is not so easy to get crisp printing on such a large map. I bought one of the park's laminated ones and two from the Florida printer. The Florida prints seem to have faded a little.

      T.R.--you have the 1904 version? Are the details as clear as they appear on the computer screen? I'm guessing that finding original copies of either the 04 or 08 maps is difficult; I've not seen any advertised anywhere.Do you laminate your smaller prints to take to the field?

      Contour lines as on the CC maps are a must for me, too. Now if someone would program the maps so one could "fly in" to get an overhead like you can on Google Earth and also get a street view that would be great.

      Larry

      Message 2 of 24 , May 9 6:23 AM
        Larry,

        I have actually been working on making a fly-in over the CC maps. I'll
        put some tests up on my site soon.

        Stephen

        Message 3 of 24 , May 9 6:28 AM
          Stephen,

          Excellent--look forward to it. Google Earth and Zillow are good but can get fuzzy very close in.

          > Larry,
          >
          > I have actually been working on making a fly-in over the CC maps. I'll
          > put some tests up on my site soon.
          >
          > Stephen
          >

          > On Saturday, May 9, 2009, at 08:27 AM, eighth_conn_inf wrote:
          >
          > > T.R. and Dave,
          > >
          > > The large printed maps do seem to muddy some details and the colors
          > > aren't as good; they are just not as clear as the screen version.
          > > Apparently it is not so easy to get crisp printing on such a large
          > > map. I bought one of the park's laminated ones and two from the
          > > Florida printer. The Florida prints seem to have faded a little.
          > >
          > > T.R.--you have the 1904 version? Are the details as clear as they
          > > appear on the computer screen? I'm guessing that finding original
          > > copies of either the 04 or 08 maps is difficult; I've not seen any
          > > advertised anywhere.Do you laminate your smaller prints to take to the
          > > field?
          > >
          > > Contour lines as on the CC maps are a must for me, too. Now if someone
          > > would program the maps so one could "fly in" to get an overhead like
          > > you can on Google Earth and also get a street view that would be > great.
          > >
          > > Larry

        • T.R.Livesey
          Message 4 of 24 , May 23 11:59 AM
            Larry,

            Yes, I have the 1904 edition. The printed images are very clean and crisp. If all
            you've ever seen is the reprints of the official records atlas, the originals in
            their proper size are truely works of art. I don't bother to laminate my maps
            since they are just print-outs anyway.

            Back in the 90's I experimented with fly-by images, long before there was Google
            anything. The quality was not that great and the file sizes were totally
            impractable for the dial-up services of the time, do I didn't pursue them. I dug
            them up and posted them if anyone is interested:

            flyby from south to north looking east at the otto farm:

            http://www.westwoodgalleries.com/antietam/flyby/otto.mpg

            flyby from south to north over the otto farm looking west

            http://www.westwoodgalleries.com/antietam/flyby/otto2.mpg

            flyby along the Piper Swale, first east toward the Antietam and then back west
            toward the west woods

            http://www.westwoodgalleries.com/antietam/flyby/piperswale2.mpg

            flyby over Turner Gap.looking northwest up the National Pike over Turner's Gap,
            and then circling around counter-clockwise

            http://www.westwoodgalleries.com/antietam/flyby/turnergap2.mpg

            The Piper Swale and Turner's Gap flybys are in stereo, and if you can view them
            in stereo the Turner Gap one is particularly spectacular.

            T.R. Livesey
            tlivesey@...

            On Sat 05/ 9/09 7:27 AM , "eighth_conn_inf" eighth_conn_inf@... sent:

            Message 5 of 24 , May 24 10:51 AM
              TR,

              I looked at some of your flybys and they are interesting; thanks for sharing them. I will be instructive to see what Stephen comes up with for Virtual Antietam.

              I've never heard that anyone owns the 1908 CC version let alone listing the differences between the two. Maybe Tom Clemens who is writing about Carman may have that version copied or at least talk about the differences. I recall someone--Jake Pierro--mentioned that the LOC has both 1904 and 1908 versions but only has the 1904 on its website.

              Someday someone may have a good printing done of the the 1908 version and maybe even some done of some of the original prints of the OR maps but my guess is neither is likely to happen unless CWPT or some wealthy CW fan ponies up the required funds since neither will be best sellers.

            • T.R.Livesey
              Message 6 of 24 , May 24 12:08 PM
                Larry,

                I have never had access to a 1908 version to compare. My guess is that the
                differences between the 2 are minor. A hint of possible changes can be extracted
                from 1906 correspondence from Carman reprinted in the commemorative volume of the
                Pennsylvania Reserves (pp 95-8). There is a dispute between the Antietam
                Battlefield Commission of Pennsylvania and Carman about the proposed placement of
                the monuments for the 8th, 7th, 4th, and 3rd PR: they want the order to be 8th
                7th 4th and 3rd, whereas Carman's map shows 8th 3rd 4th 7th. After making his
                case, Carman laments : ”It is unfortunate that this matter was not discussed
                earlier. My atlas has been published two years, and a copy sent to each
                regimental organization with the request that any apparent errors might be
                reported, but not a criticism has been made of any position of the First Corps,
                and but one or two trifling ones in other corps.” I don't know if the 1908
                edition was altered to reflect the commission's version. The monuments were
                placed as per Carman's recommendation. Whatever the case, as late as 1906, Carman
                was unaware of 'non-trifling' discrepancies of the 1904 version.

                BTW, the fold-out map that accompanies the PR volume is a real gem: a beautiful
                depiction of the battlefield at the turn of the century (before the various
                bypasses were built) in color and wonderful topographical detail (20 ft interval
                contour lines). One of the nicest maps out there.

                T.R. Livesey
                tlivesey@...

                On Sun 05/24/09 12:51 PM , "eighth_conn_inf" eighth_conn_inf@... sent:

                Message 7 of 24 , May 24 3:11 PM
                  Somewhere in the papers from Carman I found a listing of the changes.
                  Will see if I can find it for you. We have 8 x10 color negatives of the
                  1908 maps. Maybe I should look into printing them poster-size?

                  >>> T.R.Livesey <tlivesey@...> 05/24/09 3:08 PM >>>

                • T.R.Livesey
                  Message 8 of 24 , May 24 6:06 PM

                    I'd be interested in the list of changes.

                    T.R. Livesey
                    tlivesey@...

                    On Sun 05/24/09 5:11 PM , "Thomas Clemens" clemenst@... sent:

                    Message 9 of 24 , May 24 7:09 PM

                      I also am interested in the changes as well as a set of the 1908 maps. The best for them would be full size on sturdy, laminated paper, obviously clearly printed in non fading ink as discussed below.

                      If you think this is possible, you could PM me with an estimated cost just in case I don't win the lottery.

                      TR, it would be interesting to see the 3rd PR book's map.

                    • T.R.Livesey
                      Message 10 of 24 , May 24 8:51 PM
                        http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/BookDetailsPL?bi=125511040&searchurl=sts%3Dt%26tn%3Dpennsylvania%2Breserves%2Bat%2Bantietam%26x%3D0%26y%3D0

                        T.R. Livesey
                        tlivesey@...

                        On Sun 05/24/09 9:09 PM , "eighth_conn_inf" eighth_conn_inf@... sent:

                        Message 11 of 24 , May 25 7:07 AM
                          OK, but it won't be anytime soon. I am rushing to finish some other
                          stuff and go out of town for a week.

                          >>> "eighth_conn_inf" <eighth_conn_inf@...> 05/24/09 10:09 PM >>>
                          Tom,

> [...]

                          > > FirstCorps,
                          > > and but one or two trifling ones in other corps.†I don't know if
                          > > the1908
                          > > edition was altered to reflect the commission's version. The
                          monuments
                          > > were
                          > > placed as per Carman's recommendation. Whatever the case, as late as
                          > > 1906, Carman
                          > > was unaware of 'non-trifling' discrepancies of the 1904 version.
                          > >
                          > > BTW, the fold-out map that accompanies the PR volume is a real gem:
                          > > beautiful
                          > > depiction of the battlefield at the turn of the century (before the
                          > > various
                          > > bypasses were built) in color and wonderful topographical detail (20
                          ft
                          > > interval
                          > > contour lines). One of the nicest maps out there.

                        • Larry Freiheit
                          Message 12 of 24 , May 25 11:19 AM
                            No rush, thx Tom.

                            OK, but it won't be anytime soon. I am rushing to finish some other
                            stuff and go out of town for a week.

                            >>> "eighth_conn_ inf" <eighth_conn_ inf@yahoo. com> 05/24/09 10:09 PM >>>
                            Tom,

                            Message 13 of 24 , May 25 2:22 PM
                              Dear Tom,

                              What would such a project cost? Would it be something SHAF could
                              offer at a discount to members?

> [...]
                              >> differences between the two. Maybe Tom Clemens who is writing
                              >> about
                              > Carman
                              >> may have that version copied or at least talk about the
                              >> differences. I
                              >> recall someone--Jake Pierro--mentioned that the LOC has both
                              >> 1904 and
                              > 1908
                              >> versions but only has the 1904 on its website.
                              >> Someday someone may have a good printing done of the the 1908
                              >> version
                              > and
                              >> maybe even some done of some of the original prints of the OR
                              >> maps but
                              > my
                              >> guess is neither is likely to happen unless CWPT or some
                              >> wealthy CW
                              > fan
                              >> ponies up the required funds since neither will be best

                            • Dave
                              Message 14 of 24 , May 29 2:56 PM

                                I think one could compare a high-quality printing run with Morningside's
                                printing of the Bachelder maps. They printed them years ago, and the
                                set of 28 (37 x 27) run $250. They've been that price for many years,
                                and I think that's a very fair price. I don't have them, but I've seen
                                them, and they are the quality we would like to see in the CC maps (much
                                better than the one in the museum). If someone was willing to have them
                                printed, I would make sure that they had the money in hand from those
                                interested before starting out. My feeling is that $20-$25 for each map
                                would be a good price, but that's still a lot of money for most folks
                                and I don't believe it could be done that cheaply in any event. Maybe
                                we can turn this in as a Stimulus package request.

                                Dave McGowan