Re: [TalkAntietam] Re: CC Map Question

  • Dave Mc
    Message 1 of 24 , May 8 6:19 PM
      Larry, I looked at the map at the Park bookstore, and I wasn't all that
      impressed. A little hard to read and muddy. It may just print that
      way, but I passed on it. I really like the laminated version of the
      regular black and white map, I use a whiteboard marker on it and it is
      pretty sturdy. It would be nice if it had topo lines, which I might
      transfer some day onto a paper map and then laminate.

      Dave

      eighth_conn_inf wrote:

      > I thought Dave wanted the CC series, each one full size. I had one map
      > printed by a company in Florida and it cost $30-$35 IIRC. The park
      > bookstore has a full size laminated map (8:30 A.M.) for about $25.
      >
      > Larry
      >
      > --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com
      > <mailto:TalkAntietam%40yahoogroups.com>, T.R.Livesey <tlivesey@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > Have you downloaded the mrsid browser plug-in? I can't quite
      > remember...I don't
      > > use windows anymore. At one point I used the plug in to view sid CC
      > files I
      > > downloaded from the LOC. They also had a viewer application that I
      > downloaded.
      > > One or both of these allowed zooming into an area of interest and
      > then saving
      > > that portion as a tiff or a jpg. Once you have the tiff or jpg you
      > can take it
      > > anywhere to print.
      > >
      > > T.R. Livesey
      > > tlivesey@...
      > >
      > > On Fri 05/ 8/09 4:55 PM , Dave gewehr@... sent:
      > > > Larry, I haven't had any luck with the maps. Still looking for a
      > > > solution.
      > > > Dave

      > > > maps?>
      > > > are not restricted.>

      > > > TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com
      > <mailto:TalkAntietam%40yahoogroups.com> > ,
      > > > taking the CC maps in MrSid> > format to somewhere like Kinkos and
      > getting
      > > > a large format, color hard> > copy printed out? I assume they are
      > legal
      > > > to print, please correct me> > if I'm wrong.

      > > > Your email settings:
      > > > Individual Email | Traditional
      > > >
      > > > To change settings online go to:
      > > >
      > > > To change settings via email:
      > > > TalkAntietam-digest@yahoogroups.com
      > <mailto:TalkAntietam-digest%40yahoogroups.com>
      > TalkAntietam-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com
      > <mailto:TalkAntietam-fullfeatured%40yahoogroups.com>
      > <mailto:TalkAntietam-unsubscribe%40yahoogroups.com>
      > > > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>

    • James W. Durney
      Message 2 of 24 , May 8 6:39 PM
        Take a look at the HPS Campaing Antietam map. That is a .pdf and can be printed if you buy the game.
      • T.R.Livesey
        Message 3 of 24 , May 9 12:51 AM
          I found my copy of the viewer that I downloaded several years ago. I couldn't find it on their website. The CC maps are great, but they are too big to be used as a whole. I have an actual original edition, and its really too big even when you open it up on a big table. You end up having to lean over it and my back and neck get sore. Much better to zoom into an area of interest and make a print out of that that is a more manageable size. They blow up really well. I have a color printer that does 11x17 and I have made very nice copies with it.

          Any map that does not have topo lines or some other means of indicating elevation is useless, unless you just want to frame it and hang it on a wall. For that reason alone the CC maps can't be beat.

          T.R. Livesey
          tlivesey@...

          On Fri 05/ 8/09 8:10 PM , Dave Mc gewehr@... sent:

          Message 4 of 24 , May 9 5:27 AM
            T.R. and Dave,

            The large printed maps do seem to muddy some details and the colors aren't as good; they are just not as clear as the screen version. Apparently it is not so easy to get crisp printing on such a large map. I bought one of the park's laminated ones and two from the Florida printer. The Florida prints seem to have faded a little.

            T.R.--you have the 1904 version? Are the details as clear as they appear on the computer screen? I'm guessing that finding original copies of either the 04 or 08 maps is difficult; I've not seen any advertised anywhere.Do you laminate your smaller prints to take to the field?

            Contour lines as on the CC maps are a must for me, too. Now if someone would program the maps so one could "fly in" to get an overhead like you can on Google Earth and also get a street view that would be great.

            Larry

            Message 5 of 24 , May 9 6:23 AM
              Larry,

              I have actually been working on making a fly-in over the CC maps. I'll
              put some tests up on my site soon.

              Stephen

              Message 6 of 24 , May 9 6:28 AM
                Stephen,

                Excellent--look forward to it. Google Earth and Zillow are good but can get fuzzy very close in.

                > Larry,
                >
                > I have actually been working on making a fly-in over the CC maps. I'll
                > put some tests up on my site soon.
                >
                > Stephen
                >

                > On Saturday, May 9, 2009, at 08:27 AM, eighth_conn_inf wrote:
                >
                > > T.R. and Dave,
                > >
                > > The large printed maps do seem to muddy some details and the colors
                > > aren't as good; they are just not as clear as the screen version.
                > > Apparently it is not so easy to get crisp printing on such a large
                > > map. I bought one of the park's laminated ones and two from the
                > > Florida printer. The Florida prints seem to have faded a little.
                > >
                > > T.R.--you have the 1904 version? Are the details as clear as they
                > > appear on the computer screen? I'm guessing that finding original
                > > copies of either the 04 or 08 maps is difficult; I've not seen any
                > > advertised anywhere.Do you laminate your smaller prints to take to the
                > > field?
                > >
                > > Contour lines as on the CC maps are a must for me, too. Now if someone
                > > would program the maps so one could "fly in" to get an overhead like
                > > you can on Google Earth and also get a street view that would be > great.
                > >
                > > Larry

              • T.R.Livesey
                Message 7 of 24 , May 23 11:59 AM
                  Larry,

                  Yes, I have the 1904 edition. The printed images are very clean and crisp. If all
                  you've ever seen is the reprints of the official records atlas, the originals in
                  their proper size are truely works of art. I don't bother to laminate my maps
                  since they are just print-outs anyway.

                  Back in the 90's I experimented with fly-by images, long before there was Google
                  anything. The quality was not that great and the file sizes were totally
                  impractable for the dial-up services of the time, do I didn't pursue them. I dug
                  them up and posted them if anyone is interested:

                  flyby from south to north looking east at the otto farm:

                  http://www.westwoodgalleries.com/antietam/flyby/otto.mpg

                  flyby from south to north over the otto farm looking west

                  http://www.westwoodgalleries.com/antietam/flyby/otto2.mpg

                  flyby along the Piper Swale, first east toward the Antietam and then back west
                  toward the west woods

                  http://www.westwoodgalleries.com/antietam/flyby/piperswale2.mpg

                  flyby over Turner Gap.looking northwest up the National Pike over Turner's Gap,
                  and then circling around counter-clockwise

                  http://www.westwoodgalleries.com/antietam/flyby/turnergap2.mpg

                  The Piper Swale and Turner's Gap flybys are in stereo, and if you can view them
                  in stereo the Turner Gap one is particularly spectacular.

                  T.R. Livesey
                  tlivesey@...

                  On Sat 05/ 9/09 7:27 AM , "eighth_conn_inf" eighth_conn_inf@... sent:

                  Message 8 of 24 , May 24 10:51 AM
                    TR,

                    I looked at some of your flybys and they are interesting; thanks for sharing them. I will be instructive to see what Stephen comes up with for Virtual Antietam.

                    I've never heard that anyone owns the 1908 CC version let alone listing the differences between the two. Maybe Tom Clemens who is writing about Carman may have that version copied or at least talk about the differences. I recall someone--Jake Pierro--mentioned that the LOC has both 1904 and 1908 versions but only has the 1904 on its website.

                    Someday someone may have a good printing done of the the 1908 version and maybe even some done of some of the original prints of the OR maps but my guess is neither is likely to happen unless CWPT or some wealthy CW fan ponies up the required funds since neither will be best sellers.

                  • T.R.Livesey
                    Message 9 of 24 , May 24 12:08 PM
                      Larry,

                      I have never had access to a 1908 version to compare. My guess is that the
                      differences between the 2 are minor. A hint of possible changes can be extracted
                      from 1906 correspondence from Carman reprinted in the commemorative volume of the
                      Pennsylvania Reserves (pp 95-8). There is a dispute between the Antietam
                      Battlefield Commission of Pennsylvania and Carman about the proposed placement of
                      the monuments for the 8th, 7th, 4th, and 3rd PR: they want the order to be 8th
                      7th 4th and 3rd, whereas Carman's map shows 8th 3rd 4th 7th. After making his
                      case, Carman laments : ”It is unfortunate that this matter was not discussed
                      earlier. My atlas has been published two years, and a copy sent to each
                      regimental organization with the request that any apparent errors might be
                      reported, but not a criticism has been made of any position of the First Corps,
                      and but one or two trifling ones in other corps.” I don't know if the 1908
                      edition was altered to reflect the commission's version. The monuments were
                      placed as per Carman's recommendation. Whatever the case, as late as 1906, Carman
                      was unaware of 'non-trifling' discrepancies of the 1904 version.

                      BTW, the fold-out map that accompanies the PR volume is a real gem: a beautiful
                      depiction of the battlefield at the turn of the century (before the various
                      bypasses were built) in color and wonderful topographical detail (20 ft interval
                      contour lines). One of the nicest maps out there.

                      T.R. Livesey
                      tlivesey@...

                      On Sun 05/24/09 12:51 PM , "eighth_conn_inf" eighth_conn_inf@... sent:

                      Message 10 of 24 , May 24 3:11 PM
                        Somewhere in the papers from Carman I found a listing of the changes.
                        Will see if I can find it for you. We have 8 x10 color negatives of the
                        1908 maps. Maybe I should look into printing them poster-size?

                        >>> T.R.Livesey <tlivesey@...> 05/24/09 3:08 PM >>>

                      • T.R.Livesey
                        Message 11 of 24 , May 24 6:06 PM

                          I'd be interested in the list of changes.

                          T.R. Livesey
                          tlivesey@...

                          On Sun 05/24/09 5:11 PM , "Thomas Clemens" clemenst@... sent:

                          Message 12 of 24 , May 24 7:09 PM

                            I also am interested in the changes as well as a set of the 1908 maps. The best for them would be full size on sturdy, laminated paper, obviously clearly printed in non fading ink as discussed below.

                            If you think this is possible, you could PM me with an estimated cost just in case I don't win the lottery.

                            TR, it would be interesting to see the 3rd PR book's map.

                          • T.R.Livesey
                            Message 13 of 24 , May 24 8:51 PM
                              http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/BookDetailsPL?bi=125511040&searchurl=sts%3Dt%26tn%3Dpennsylvania%2Breserves%2Bat%2Bantietam%26x%3D0%26y%3D0

                              T.R. Livesey
                              tlivesey@...

                              On Sun 05/24/09 9:09 PM , "eighth_conn_inf" eighth_conn_inf@... sent:

                              Message 14 of 24 , May 25 7:07 AM
                                OK, but it won't be anytime soon. I am rushing to finish some other
                                stuff and go out of town for a week.

                                >>> "eighth_conn_inf" <eighth_conn_inf@...> 05/24/09 10:09 PM >>>
                                Tom,

> [...]

                                > > FirstCorps,
                                > > and but one or two trifling ones in other corps.†I don't know if
                                > > the1908
                                > > edition was altered to reflect the commission's version. The
                                monuments
                                > > were
                                > > placed as per Carman's recommendation. Whatever the case, as late as
                                > > 1906, Carman
                                > > was unaware of 'non-trifling' discrepancies of the 1904 version.
                                > >
                                > > BTW, the fold-out map that accompanies the PR volume is a real gem:
                                > > beautiful
                                > > depiction of the battlefield at the turn of the century (before the
                                > > various
                                > > bypasses were built) in color and wonderful topographical detail (20
                                ft
                                > > interval
                                > > contour lines). One of the nicest maps out there.

                              • Larry Freiheit
                                Message 15 of 24 , May 25 11:19 AM
                                  No rush, thx Tom.

                                  OK, but it won't be anytime soon. I am rushing to finish some other
                                  stuff and go out of town for a week.

                                  >>> "eighth_conn_ inf" <eighth_conn_ inf@yahoo. com> 05/24/09 10:09 PM >>>
                                  Tom,

                                  Message 16 of 24 , May 25 2:22 PM
                                    Dear Tom,

                                    What would such a project cost? Would it be something SHAF could
                                    offer at a discount to members?

> [...]
                                    >> differences between the two. Maybe Tom Clemens who is writing
                                    >> about
                                    > Carman
                                    >> may have that version copied or at least talk about the
                                    >> differences. I
                                    >> recall someone--Jake Pierro--mentioned that the LOC has both
                                    >> 1904 and
                                    > 1908
                                    >> versions but only has the 1904 on its website.
                                    >> Someday someone may have a good printing done of the the 1908
                                    >> version
                                    > and
                                    >> maybe even some done of some of the original prints of the OR
                                    >> maps but
                                    > my
                                    >> guess is neither is likely to happen unless CWPT or some
                                    >> wealthy CW
                                    > fan
                                    >> ponies up the required funds since neither will be best

                                  • Dave
                                    Message 17 of 24 , May 29 2:56 PM

                                      I think one could compare a high-quality printing run with Morningside's
                                      printing of the Bachelder maps. They printed them years ago, and the
                                      set of 28 (37 x 27) run $250. They've been that price for many years,
                                      and I think that's a very fair price. I don't have them, but I've seen
                                      them, and they are the quality we would like to see in the CC maps (much
                                      better than the one in the museum). If someone was willing to have them
                                      printed, I would make sure that they had the money in hand from those
                                      interested before starting out. My feeling is that $20-$25 for each map
                                      would be a good price, but that's still a lot of money for most folks
                                      and I don't believe it could be done that cheaply in any event. Maybe
                                      we can turn this in as a Stimulus package request.

                                      Dave McGowan