Re: [TalkAntietam] Buford and Farnsworth in Action?

  • Larry Freiheit
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 22, 2009
      Thank you Gerry, I give Eric an e-mail.

      --- On Wed, 4/22/09, G E Mayers <gerry1952@...> wrote:

      From: G E Mayers <gerry1952@...>
      Subject: Re: [TalkAntietam] Buford and Farnsworth in Action?
      To: TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Wednesday, April 22, 2009, 3:49 PM

      Larry;

      Eric Wittenberg's email address: eric@rushslancers. com . If that
      one does not work, try eric@ewittenberglaw .com . I know Eric and
      JD personally, as well as having met Mike Nugent... if the three
      of them can not supply you with the information sought, it does
      not exist!

      Hope it helps?

      From: Thomas Clemens <clemenst@hagerstown cc.edu>
      To: TalkAntietam@ yahoogroups. com
      Date: Wednesday, April 22, 2009, 1:27 PM

      Larry,
      I am away from home right now and will check some files when I
      get there. Eric Wittenburg has a great account of Buford @
      Antietam. he told it to me, and I do not have the citation stuff,
      so it is better to deal with him directly. If you do not know
      him, I can ask him for you.
      I am just now getting some of the stuff from NYPL today, more
      will follow in a few weeks, including the letter from Hart. Supt.
      Howard has quite generously agreed to pay for microfilming three
      boxes of correspondence, much of which is not in the files at
      Antietam. But it takes 6 - 8 weeks. :-(
      There is another letter from Hart, less complete, in the NA
      Antietam Studies papers. I can give you hard copy of send you a
      scan, your choice.

      Dr. Thomas G. Clemens

      >>> "eighth_conn_ inf" <eighth_conn_ inf@yahoo. com> 4/22/2009
      >>> 11:30 AM >>>

      All,

      Brig Gen. John Buford was selected by McClellan on 10 September
      to be his administrative chief of cavalry with Pleasonton
      commanding in the field. Buford had little to do perhaps other
      than hurrying units forward to Pleasonton and getting supplies to
      him as Buford remained in McClellan's headquarters. Buford, who,
      on 30 August, had been hit below the knee by a spent bullet, was
      likely anxious to again confront Robertson's Rebel troopers who
      had bested him in that cavalry battle at Second Bull Run. But
      there is no official record of Buford in the field during the
      Maryland Campaign despite one report that Buford was in charge of
      the cavalry at South Mountain on 14 September. That reference is
      Edward G. Longacre, "General John Buford: A Military Biography,"
      115-116, citing Myles Keogh, "Etat de Service of Major Genl Jno.
      Buford from his promotion to Brig Genl to his death" [p. 2], MS
      in Special Collections, USMA Library.

      The next question concerns Capt. Elon Farnsworth and his
      participation in a skirmish on 7 September. On that date, a
      squadron of the Fifth Virginia Cavalry was attacked at
      Poolesville by Maj. George H. Chapman, commander of the Third
      Indiana, leading two squadrons of the Eighth Illinois Cavalry and
      two squadrons of the Third Indiana Cavalry; he recaptured
      Poolesville taking two Rebels prisoner along with one horse with
      its saddle and equipment and sending the rest fleeing towards
      Barnesville. The regimental historian of the 8th Illinois
      Cavalry, Abner Hard, said that Capt. Farnsworth led the charge
      and doesn't mention Chapman. Records show, however that
      Farnsworth was the assistant quartermaster of the IV Corps during
      this time having previously served in the Eighth Illinois
      Cavalry. It is possible that since that corps was in the general
      area and given the fluid situation, that Capt. Farnsworth did
      command the attack or at least the two squadrons of the
      Eighth, and that Plea sonton did not mention this as Farnsworth
      was not under his command.

      Carman does not mention Capt. Farnsworth but goes with
      Pleasonton's 19 September OR report. Has anyone more info on
      these events other than the OR reports of Pleasonton, Stuart,
      Hampton, and Munford? Pickerill's regimental history of the Third
      Indiana is of no help as he quotes Pleasonton's report of the
      19th.