Re: [TalkAntietam] Buford and Farnsworth in Action?

    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 22, 2009
      Larry,
      I am away from home right now and will check some files when I get there. Eric Wittenburg has a great account of Buford @ Antietam. he told it to me, and I do not have the citation stuff, so it is better to deal with him directly. If you do not know him, I can ask him for you.
      I am just now getting some of the stuff from NYPL today, more will follow in a few weeks, including the letter from Hart. Supt. Howard has quite generously agreed to pay for microfilming three boxes of correspondence, much of which is not in the files at Antietam. But it takes 6 - 8 weeks. :-(
      There is another letter from Hart, less complete, in the NA Antietam Studies papers. I can give you hard copy of send you a scan, your choice.

      Dr. Thomas G. Clemens

      >>> "eighth_conn_inf" <eighth_conn_inf@...> 4/22/2009 11:30 AM >>>

      All,

      Brig Gen. John Buford was selected by McClellan on 10 September to be his administrative chief of cavalry with Pleasonton commanding in the field. Buford had little to do perhaps other than hurrying units forward to Pleasonton and getting supplies to him as Buford remained in McClellan's headquarters. Buford, who, on 30 August, had been hit below the knee by a spent bullet, was likely anxious to again confront Robertson's Rebel troopers who had bested him in that cavalry battle at Second Bull Run. But there is no official record of Buford in the field during the Maryland Campaign despite one report that Buford was in charge of the cavalry at South Mountain on 14 September. That reference is Edward G. Longacre, "General John Buford: A Military Biography," 115-116, citing Myles Keogh, "Etat de Service of Major Genl Jno. Buford from his promotion to Brig Genl to his death" [p. 2], MS in Special Collections, USMA Library.

      The next question concerns Capt. Elon Farnsworth and his participation in a skirmish on 7 September. On that date, a squadron of the Fifth Virginia Cavalry was attacked at Poolesville by Maj. George H. Chapman, commander of the Third Indiana, leading two squadrons of the Eighth Illinois Cavalry and two squadrons of the Third Indiana Cavalry; he recaptured Poolesville taking two Rebels prisoner along with one horse with its saddle and equipment and sending the rest fleeing towards Barnesville. The regimental historian of the 8th Illinois Cavalry, Abner Hard, said that Capt. Farnsworth led the charge and doesn't mention Chapman. Records show, however that Farnsworth was the assistant quartermaster of the IV Corps during this time having previously served in the Eighth Illinois Cavalry. It is possible that since that corps was in the general area and given the fluid situation, that Capt. Farnsworth did command the attack or at least the two squadrons of the Eighth, and that Plea sonton did not mention this as Farnsworth was not under his command.

      Carman does not mention Capt. Farnsworth but goes with Pleasonton's 19 September OR report. Has anyone more info on these events other than the OR reports of Pleasonton, Stuart, Hampton, and Munford? Pickerill's regimental history of the Third Indiana is of no help as he quotes Pleasonton's report of the 19th.

    • Larry Freiheit
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 22, 2009

        I don't know Eric personally; I was on one of his tours with JD and I do read his blog. I did not see a contact e-mail on his blog. Can you give me his e-mail address unless you think he would be more likely to reply to you vice me?

        Excellent news re the NYPL materials! I look forward to seeing them. I guess it will wind up in Ted Alexander's library at Antietam?

        Are you referring to Hard the author of the 8th Illinois Cav history or is the "Hart" letter in reference to something else? I eventually will go again to Ted's library so I could see the letter there I guess.

        Thanks,

        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 22, 2009
          Hart and the SC horse art battery that accompanied the Jeff Davis Legion. Mentioned this a while back. I'll look for Farnsworth & 8 IL

          >>> Larry Freiheit <eighth_conn_inf@...> 04/22/09 3:38 PM >>>
          Tom,

          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 22, 2009
            Larry;

            Eric Wittenberg's email address: eric@... . If that
            one does not work, try eric@... . I know Eric and
            JD personally, as well as having met Mike Nugent... if the three
            of them can not supply you with the information sought, it does
            not exist!

            Hope it helps?

            From: Thomas Clemens <clemenst@...>
            To: TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com
            Date: Wednesday, April 22, 2009, 1:27 PM

            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 22, 2009
              Knowing more about what Hart said would be great. I guess I will wait until you have the full letter from him; please let me know.

              Thanks

              > Hart and the SC horse art battery that accompanied the Jeff Davis Legion. Mentioned this a while back. I'll look for Farnsworth & 8 IL

              > Tom,
              >
              > I don't know Eric personally; I was on one of his tours with JD and I do read his blog. I did not see a contact e-mail on his blog. Can you give me his e-mail address unless you think he would be more likely to reply to you vice me?
              >
              > Excellent news re the NYPL materials! I look forward to seeing them. I guess it will wind up in Ted Alexander's library at Antietam?
              >
              > Are you referring to Hard the author of the 8th Illinois Cav history or is the "Hart" letter in reference to something else? I eventually will go again to Ted's library so I could see the letter there I guess.
              >
              > Thanks,
              > Larry

            • Larry Freiheit
              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 22, 2009