Re: 14th Brooklyn-84th NY Infantry v. Rebel Cavalry

    Message 1 of 16 , Apr 10 10:51 AM
      Harry,

      I could not think of any such incident during the Maryland Campaign between cav and infantry. Maybe First Bull Run--Stuart v. Zouaves?

      Larry

      --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "Harry Smeltzer" <hjs21@...> wrote:

      > Or maybe just a mistake?

    • Harry Smeltzer
      Message 2 of 16 , Apr 10 11:02 AM
        Didn't the original message say the caption read dismounted cavalry? Maybe it was just infantry.

        Interesting you bring up BR. Many of the descriptions of Stuart's charge on the Manassas-Sudley Rd seem to be describing not the 11th NY (who wore blue that day, and whose Zouave uniforms were gray and blue regardless) but the 14th B'Klyn. Blackford's account describes the 14th to a T.

        Message 3 of 16 , Apr 10 11:52 AM
          The caption is this: "Skirmish between the 14th Brooklyn and Confederate Cavalry at Antietam, September 17, 1862."

          Inscribed: "Skirmish between the Brooklyn 14th and 300 Rebel Cavalry."

          The sketch shows the Rebs mounted and the Feds firing from among trees. Maybe this link to the LOC picture works:

          http://lcweb2.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/f?dwgd:1100:./temp/~pp_CK0U:

          Waud was at 1st BR according to the book I have about him: "'Our Special Artist:' Alfred R. Waud's Civil War" by Frederic E. Ray.

          I found nothing in the regimental history about being attacked by cavlary at 1st BR (or 2nd BR) but they were attacked by 500 Rebel cav under Fitz Lee on 18 Nov 1861 while the regiment was on picket duty near Falls Church losing 2 killed, 3 wounded and 10 prisoners.