Re: [TalkAntietam] Re: 14th Brooklyn-84th NY Infantry v. Rebel Cavalry

  • Harry Smeltzer
    Message 1 of 16 , Apr 10, 2009
      Or maybe just a mistake?

      ----- Original Message -----
      From: eighth_conn_inf
      To: TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Friday, April 10, 2009 11:33 AM
      Subject: [TalkAntietam] Re: 14th Brooklyn-84th NY Infantry v. Rebel Cavalry

      Tom,

      I just received the CD with the "History of the Fighting Fourteenth." There is nothing in the history to show that it fought any mounted cavalry during the Maryland Campaign so Waud's drawing must indeed be a composite at best or a fantasy at worst.

    • DPowell334@AOL.COM
      Message 2 of 16 , Apr 10, 2009
        The kind of mistake one sees constantly in primary source accounts -
        mis-identified units.

        Dave Powell

        In a message dated 4/10/2009 9:57:30 A.M. Central Standard Time,
        hjs21@... writes:

        Or maybe just a mistake?

        recession.

        Message 3 of 16 , Apr 10, 2009
          Well we suspected as much. Thanks.

          Dr. Thomas G. Clemens

          Message 4 of 16 , Apr 10, 2009
            Harry,

            I could not think of any such incident during the Maryland Campaign between cav and infantry. Maybe First Bull Run--Stuart v. Zouaves?

            Larry

            Message 5 of 16 , Apr 10, 2009
              Didn't the original message say the caption read dismounted cavalry? Maybe it was just infantry.

              Interesting you bring up BR. Many of the descriptions of Stuart's charge on the Manassas-Sudley Rd seem to be describing not the 11th NY (who wore blue that day, and whose Zouave uniforms were gray and blue regardless) but the 14th B'Klyn. Blackford's account describes the 14th to a T.

              Message 6 of 16 , Apr 10, 2009
                The caption is this: "Skirmish between the 14th Brooklyn and Confederate Cavalry at Antietam, September 17, 1862."

                Inscribed: "Skirmish between the Brooklyn 14th and 300 Rebel Cavalry."

                The sketch shows the Rebs mounted and the Feds firing from among trees. Maybe this link to the LOC picture works:

                http://lcweb2.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/f?dwgd:1100:./temp/~pp_CK0U:

                Waud was at 1st BR according to the book I have about him: "'Our Special Artist:' Alfred R. Waud's Civil War" by Frederic E. Ray.

                I found nothing in the regimental history about being attacked by cavlary at 1st BR (or 2nd BR) but they were attacked by 500 Rebel cav under Fitz Lee on 18 Nov 1861 while the regiment was on picket duty near Falls Church losing 2 killed, 3 wounded and 10 prisoners.

                Larry