Re: [TalkAntietam] Re: re Moxley Sorrel and September 16th (Night)

    Message 1 of 31 , Apr 5 1:46 PM
      Dear Teej,

      I noticed that too in Sorrel's account. It was indeed rainy or
      had rained the day of Lee's accident. I wonder if perhaps he had
      some sort of rubber coated linen over pants covering his uniform
      trowsers? The poncho would certainly have covered the bulk of his
      uniform coat.

      I do know there "were" overalls worn by tradesmen to protect
      their clothing but do not think those sort of overalls would have
      been rainproof.

      Being an officer, Lee might have had some privately purchased
      item not generally available for standard issue. I have not
      noticed anything in Echoes of Glory that might remotely suggest
      some sort of overalls or rain pants for mounted troops or
      officers.

      Message 31 of 31 , Apr 10 8:38 AM
        And we can't forget the raincoat Stonewall had on the night he was shot; it is at the VMI museum and a picture is on their website. It has the two bullet holes in the left sleeve.

        http://www4.vmi.edu/museum/Jackson.html