Re: [TalkAntietam] Re: re Moxley Sorrel and September 16th (Night)

    Message 1 of 31 , Apr 3 7:19 PM
      Dear Larry,

      Sounds like a good project. However, in Priest's book he notes
      "WEST" of the West Woods....Piper Farm Orchard is, IIRC, not west
      of the West Woods, but East.

      If the JDL, at least two companies, was picketed around the
      Hagerstown-Sharpsburg Pike somewhere near the Dunkard
      Church/Mumma Swale/Piper Farm, might be worthwhile to confirm
      exactly where they were.

      I personally find it hard to believe Priest attributes the entire
      incident solely to Sorrel and then seemly "invents" actions for
      Sorrel and especially location for where Sorrel was. To me its
      incredible he did not also cite the Rowland work.

      If this is indeed confirmed that Priest stretched the story quite
      a bit, another reason to take what he writes in his books with
      large grains of salt...unless able to be verified otherwise.

      Message 31 of 31 , Apr 10 8:38 AM
        And we can't forget the raincoat Stonewall had on the night he was shot; it is at the VMI museum and a picture is on their website. It has the two bullet holes in the left sleeve.

        http://www4.vmi.edu/museum/Jackson.html