Re: [TalkAntietam] Joseph L. Harsh's Books

  • Tom Clemens
    Message 1 of 14 , Mar 15, 2002
      Tony,
      Joe Harsh is still in the process of writing, so it will be some time yet before
      anything appears. He is projecting five volumes at this time, subject to change
      of course. I am sure he will answer all of those questions and more.
      He relied on a few trusted commanders who, IMHO, let him down, principally
      Porter and Franklin. He thought a lot of Burnside, at least for a while, and
      was impressed with Hooker, even though Hooker bad-mouthed him, Mac recommeded
      him for a promotion.
      A lot of individual disccussions, but nothing like a preliminary briefing, a
      critical error that was repeated throughout theCivil War.
      I don't know, Joe might
      ditto
      He thought he won, ie. Lee retreated abandoning wounded etc. Was pleased at
      fulfilling Lincoln's orders, and proud of his ersatz army.
      Joe will be far more detailed and eloquent.