Re: re Moxley Sorrel and September 16th (Night)

    Message 1 of 31 , Apr 3, 2009
      All,

      I tried to make sense out of what Sorrel, Wert, Hopkins, et al, said.

      Wert's sources are clear that Longstreet and his staff were in the Piper orchard on the nights of the 15/16 and 16/17. If this is true, then they were not in the West Woods. I don't see where Sorrel mentions the WW in his book. Alexander "Sandy" Duncan of the Georgia Hussars part of the JDL described this stampede to Sorrel. If there were a stampede of the JDL horses and not artillery horses as Wert says, the JDL had to be near the Sharpsburg-Hagerstown Tpke. On the other hand, there could have been two stampedes that night and Sorrel concatenated them or the horses could have run the couple of miles from the SS pike to the Piper farm.

      The part of Lt. Gordon's account about the JDL which seems wrong is when he said the JDL after supporting Jackson on the left on the 16th bivouaced near the Sharpsburg-Shepherdstown Tpke. Pvt. Shields of the JDL then describes the stampede and how Stuart and his staff formed on the pike to try to stop them. It is difficult to understand how the JDL and Stuart with his staff were west of Sharpsburg on the Sharpsburg-Shepherdstown Pike. This story makes more sense if the pike is the Sharpsburg-Hagerstown Pike but I don't have the primary sources to confirm Gordon's and Shields's stories. Shields did say that after Stuart couldn't stop the horses, enemy pickets fired on the horses and the horses turned back. This could not have happened on the SS Pike but was more likely if the horses headed north on the Hagerstown Pike.

      Certainly Stuart and some of his staff were out and about on the night of the 16th/17th so it is not impossible that the JDL was near the SS tpke and that Stuart did try to help with the stampede but it makes more sense to me that if the JDL supported Jackson during the afternoon/evening, then they did not return all the way to Sharpsburg. If they stayed further north, then Sorrel's story makes more sense as does Shields's.

      At this point, I will have to look at all the sources again to come up with a reasonable explanation of the "stampede" but I'm leaning towards the location near the Sharpsburg-Hagerstown Tpke.

      Message 31 of 31 , Apr 10, 2009
        And we can't forget the raincoat Stonewall had on the night he was shot; it is at the VMI museum and a picture is on their website. It has the two bullet holes in the left sleeve.

        http://www4.vmi.edu/museum/Jackson.html