Re: re Moxley Sorrel and September 16th (Night)

    Message 1 of 31 , Apr 3, 2009
      Carman does not give a source for his JD statements but it is clear from Carman and Hopkins "The Little Jeff" that the JDL was not anyone's HQ guard. As you state, Capt. James Doby's Independent Company, South Carolina Guards was Longstreet's guard.

      Hopkins give quite a detailed account of the JDL on the 16th/17th. The night of the 15/16th, it bivouacked about nine miles outside of Shepherdstown somewhere in Va. On the 16th, the JDL crossed the Potomac near Sharpsburg about 4 P.M. and moved to the Conf. left to support Jackson but after being in line to do so, they had to move due to Union artillery fire. Well after dark, they bivouacked near the Sharpsburg/Shepherstown Pike. Hopkins then quotes Sorrel then also quotes Private Shields of Company F recalling the stampede. All but two of the company's horses fled. Stuart with all his aides and couriers formed across the Pike but could do little.

      Before sunrise on the 17th, the JDL was awake preparing breakfast which was interrupted by Yankee artillery fire. The JDL was to Jackson's right separated from the rest of Stuart's cavalry. The rest of the day on the 17th they were gathering up stragglers and rejoined Hampton about midnight.

      Wert in "General James Longstreet" said that Longstreet and Hill established their HQ in the farmhouse of Henry and Elizabeth Piper on the 15th. After breakfast with them on the 16th, he rode his lines then met with Lee. Wert mentions the stampede incident saying that it happened at Longstreet's bivouac at the Piper farm but that it was artillery horses. This makes more sense since the JDL was not at the Piper Farm. Also, Stuart and his staff were on the Shepherdstown Pike trying to catch the horses not on the Sharpsburg-Hagerstown Pike.

      Larry

      Message 31 of 31 , Apr 10, 2009
        And we can't forget the raincoat Stonewall had on the night he was shot; it is at the VMI museum and a picture is on their website. It has the two bullet holes in the left sleeve.

        http://www4.vmi.edu/museum/Jackson.html