Re: [TalkAntietam] Re: re Moxley Sorrel and September 16th (Night)

    Message 1 of 31 , Apr 3 9:06 AM
      Dean;

      This is what Priest actually says, Chapter One, Antietam: The
      Soldiers' Battle:

      "The West Woods

      "An ominous spirit visited the Confederate Camp also. Major
      Moxley Sorrel and the rest of "Pete" Longstreet's staff had just
      bedded down in a small wood west of the West Woods. The Jeff
      Davis Legion securely picketed its mounts along the northern
      perimeter of the trees while sentinels alertly tramped their
      beats. That night seemed quiet -- deathly quiet. Shortly after
      midnight, an indescribable presence whispered along the picket
      rope. Horses whinnied and neighed! The rope snapped! The mounts
      shied and stampeded to the rear, nearly trampling the dozing
      officers into mush.

      "Moxley Sorrel, a devout Christian, hastily picked himself up
      from the dirt as the troopers frantically chased after their
      animals. Some spirit had frightened the horses. He could sense
      its presence. Weak from diarrhea and galled, the major lay down
      once again, disturbed to his soul by his narrow escape. He
      thanked God for his good fortune."

      Footnote 90 for the above notes simply Moxley's memoir.

      I did not complete the entire quote from Sorrel...so I conclude
      the relevant portion here, from Sorrel:

      (Previously I said in quote Sorrel wrote about "the wildest scene
      ensued.") "The horses for no reason that could be found had
      become stampeded, in the greatest panic and excitement. The broke
      away from their picket ropes, and droves of different sizes, some
      few, some many, were thundering along over the country and about
      the army in wild confusion. Fortunately, they drew to our rear,
      and the troopers were all night and part of the next day
      recovering them. Duncan [I think he means his old friend 'Sandy'
      Duncan of the Hussars???] has well described to me this
      extraordinary stampede, the like of which did not occur during
      the four years' war."

      Well, based on that, it seems to me a different interpretation
      entirely. First of all, Sorrel mentions being nearly stampeded
      but not exactly where. Secondly, it makes me wonder how much
      Priests has "enlarged" the story in his book?

      Message 31 of 31 , Apr 10 8:38 AM
        And we can't forget the raincoat Stonewall had on the night he was shot; it is at the VMI museum and a picture is on their website. It has the two bullet holes in the left sleeve.

        http://www4.vmi.edu/museum/Jackson.html