Re: [TalkAntietam] Re: Joseph L. Harsh's Books

    Message 1 of 14 , Mar 15, 2002
      Jeff;

      I stand by my comments. I will reserve the use of the words you
      have mentioned until such time as I read what Harsh has to say. I
      do realize that Sears has a very strong bias against Mac; to me
      that makes what he writes somewhat suspect.

      No, I am _not_ a Mac fan, but have come to realize there is more
      to Mac than the usual tar and feather approach employed to
      describe/discuss/write regarding him.

      Your humble servant,
      Gerry Mayers
      Co. B, "Tom Green Rifles",

      Edward Lee

      Message 2 of 14 , Mar 15, 2002
        Tony,
        Joe Harsh is still in the process of writing, so it will be some time yet before
        anything appears. He is projecting five volumes at this time, subject to change
        of course. I am sure he will answer all of those questions and more.
        He relied on a few trusted commanders who, IMHO, let him down, principally
        Porter and Franklin. He thought a lot of Burnside, at least for a while, and
        was impressed with Hooker, even though Hooker bad-mouthed him, Mac recommeded
        him for a promotion.
        A lot of individual disccussions, but nothing like a preliminary briefing, a
        critical error that was repeated throughout theCivil War.
        I don't know, Joe might
        ditto
        He thought he won, ie. Lee retreated abandoning wounded etc. Was pleased at
        fulfilling Lincoln's orders, and proud of his ersatz army.
        Joe will be far more detailed and eloquent.