Re: re Moxley Sorrel and September 16th (Night)

    Message 1 of 31 , Apr 3, 2009
      Dean,

      I think the reason it doesn't jibe is that the JDL wasn't with Hampton at HF according to Carman. In some previous posts here, there was a discussion of where the JD was and what it did. It was on semi-detached duty according to Carman:

      "When Hampton's cavalry brigade marched from Burkittsville on the morning of September 14, part of
      it went along the east base of South Mountain to Knoxville, on the Potomac, and picketed the roads leading to Berlin and
      Frederick. Two regiments crossed Brownsville Gap into Pleasant Valley. One of these, the Jeff Davis Legion, with Hart's Battery
      of six guns, was placed at Solomon's Gap in Elk Ridge. Colonel Martin, commanding the regiment, threw out pickets
      in the direction of the Potomac; some of these were encountered and brushed away by the Union cavalry about 10:00 p.m.,
      as it neared the bridge spanning the Antietam near its mouth. This information was quickly carried to Martin, who was
      surprised at news of an enemy in that direction, and, after a hasty conference with some of his officers, the conclusion was reached that McClellan's left wing had interposed between Jackson's forces besieging Harper's Ferry and the Confederates
      at Turner's Gap, Boonsboro, and Hagerstown.
      Martin did not know the result of the day's fighting at South Mountain, and, as his scouts reported a large Union force
      south and west, he decided to fall back toward Hagerstown and quickly set out in that direction, throwing scouts on the
      cross-roads to the left, which reported the Union column (the cavalry from Harper's Ferry) moving parallel to him up the
      Potomac."

      Here is something from Carman about the JDL on the 16th:

      "After a short pursuit past the burning wagons, Martin withdrew to Williamsport, crossed the Potomac, went down the Virginia side, recrossed the river at Shepherdstown Ford
      on the afternoon of the sixteenth, and rejoined his brigade at Sharpsburg on the seventeenth."

      Larry

      Message 31 of 31 , Apr 10, 2009
        And we can't forget the raincoat Stonewall had on the night he was shot; it is at the VMI museum and a picture is on their website. It has the two bullet holes in the left sleeve.

        http://www4.vmi.edu/museum/Jackson.html