RE: [TalkAntietam] Re: Joseph L. Harsh's Books

  • Jeff Beckner (PWC Magazine)
    Message 1 of 14 , Mar 15, 2002
      You left out "and justly" between "much" and "maligned!"

      Message 2 of 14 , Mar 15, 2002
        Jeff;

        I stand by my comments. I will reserve the use of the words you
        have mentioned until such time as I read what Harsh has to say. I
        do realize that Sears has a very strong bias against Mac; to me
        that makes what he writes somewhat suspect.

        No, I am _not_ a Mac fan, but have come to realize there is more
        to Mac than the usual tar and feather approach employed to
        describe/discuss/write regarding him.

        Your humble servant,
        Gerry Mayers
        Co. B, "Tom Green Rifles",

        Edward Lee

        Sponsor ---------------------~-->
        > Buy Stock for $4.
        > No Minimums.
        > FREE Money 2002.
        > http://us.click.yahoo.com/BgmYkB/VovDAA/ySSFAA/GmiolB/TM
        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • Tom Clemens
        Message 3 of 14 , Mar 15, 2002
          Tony,
          Joe Harsh is still in the process of writing, so it will be some time yet before
          anything appears. He is projecting five volumes at this time, subject to change
          of course. I am sure he will answer all of those questions and more.
          He relied on a few trusted commanders who, IMHO, let him down, principally
          Porter and Franklin. He thought a lot of Burnside, at least for a while, and
          was impressed with Hooker, even though Hooker bad-mouthed him, Mac recommeded
          him for a promotion.
          A lot of individual disccussions, but nothing like a preliminary briefing, a
          critical error that was repeated throughout theCivil War.
          I don't know, Joe might
          ditto
          He thought he won, ie. Lee retreated abandoning wounded etc. Was pleased at
          fulfilling Lincoln's orders, and proud of his ersatz army.
          Joe will be far more detailed and eloquent.