Re: [TalkAntietam] Pry Ford: best approach for stomper

  • Jim Rosebrock
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 28 3:46 PM
      Tom
      My blog is South From The North Woods

      Jim

      --- On Sat, 3/28/09, Thomas Clemens <clemenst@...> wrote:

      From: Thomas Clemens <clemenst@...>
      Subject: Re: [TalkAntietam] Pry Ford: best approach for stomper
      To: TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Saturday, March 28, 2009, 8:12 PM

      Both sides. The people on the west bank are acquaintences of ours, and I've been down there from their side of the creek. I think Mike Kefauver owns the east bank. Jim, I couldn't find your blog, what is the address.

      >>> Jim Rosebrock <pointsalines@ yahoo.com> 03/28/09 2:16 PM >>>

      At least on the east side of Pry's Ford, the property is largely private..

      From: Dave <gewehr@cinci. rr.com>

      To: TalkAntietam@ yahoogroups. com

      Date: Saturday, March 28, 2009, 3:48 PM

      Jim and Tom: I'm also interested in a hike around the ford, but the

      Trailhead map shows none of this area being in NPS hands. Am I

      misreading it?

      I also enjoy your blog as well.

      Dave McGowan

      Jim Rosebrock wrote:

      > My apologies to everyone. I had one part of the directions

      > incorrect. Please use this versionof my post. In my blog South From

      > the North Woods back on January 27, I posted photos and links to

      > Google Maps

      > of Prys Ford. If you view the double click the slideshow on my blog,

      > it follows the road from Rt 34 to the Antietam followed by some photos

      > along the east side of the creek. When heading east on Rt 34 out of

      > Sharpsburg toward Boonsboro

      > pass the Pry House road and turn left on the next road, It is called

      > Planters Lane I think. As you proceed down this road, you will see the

      > Pry House on the left. You will have to make a right at the foot of

      > this road, and then another left. You will reach this cul-de;sac

      > where you can park.

      > Jim Rosebrock

      > --- On Sat, 3/28/09, RoteBaron <RoteBaron@comcast. net

      > <mailto:RoteBaron% 40comcast. net>> wrote:

      > From: RoteBaron <RoteBaron@comcast. net <mailto:RoteBaron% 40comcast. net>>

      > Subject: [TalkAntietam] Pry Ford: best approach for stomper

      > To: TalkAntietam@ yahoogroups. com <mailto:TalkAntieta m%40yahoogroups.. . com>

      > Date: Saturday, March 28, 2009, 4:56 AM

      > What is the best way to get to the site of the Pry Ford?

      > Any tips on parking and path are welcome (I'm interested in east

      > and/or west side approaches).

      > Tom Shay

    • RoteBaron
      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 28 4:56 PM
        Jim's blog is at:
        http://southfromthenorthwoods.blogspot.com/

        Jim Rosebrock wrote:

        > My apologies to everyone. I had one part of the directions

        > incorrect. Please use this versionof my post. In my blog South From

        > the North Woods back on January 27, I posted photos and links to

        > Google Maps

        > of Prys Ford. If you view the double click the slideshow on my blog,

        > it follows the road from Rt 34 to the Antietam followed by some photos

        > along the east side of the creek. When heading east on Rt 34 out of

        > Sharpsburg toward Boonsboro

        > pass the Pry House road and turn left on the next road, It is called

        > Planters Lane I think. As you proceed down this road, you will see the

        > Pry House on the left. You will have to make a right at the foot of

        > this road, and then another left. You will reach this cul-de;sac

        > where you can park.

        > Jim Rosebrock

        > --- On Sat, 3/28/09, RoteBaron <RoteBaron@comcast. net

        > <mailto:RoteBaron% 40comcast. net>> wrote:

        > From: RoteBaron <RoteBaron@comcast. net <mailto:RoteBaron% 40comcast. net>>

        > Subject: [TalkAntietam] Pry Ford: best approach for stomper

        > To: TalkAntietam@ yahoogroups. com <mailto:TalkAntieta m%40yahoogroups.. com>

        > Date: Saturday, March 28, 2009, 4:56 AM

        > What is the best way to get to the site of the Pry Ford?

        > Any tips on parking and path are welcome (I'm interested in east

        > and/or west side approaches).

        > Tom Shay

      • RoteBaron
        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 28 8:31 PM
          Can we therefore assume that to visit Pry Ford, one would have to trespass on private property?

          Message 4 of 12 , Mar 28 8:53 PM
            A while back I did a tour that included the ford and went to talk to
            some of the local folks to get access. The man who owns the farm on the
            west side was really nice and told me that any time I wanted to walk
            from the bridge along the creek, on the west side, to the ford, that
            would be no problem. I also spoke to the nice couple that own the house
            just on the right at the end of Planter Road. They were very nice and
            also told me that I was welcome to walk back there.

            That said, I would still go to the house before hiking back there, just
            to say hello. I believe the ford, though, is north of the boundary line
            of the first family. I have never spoken to the folks who own the
            second lot, but even from the creek behind the first house you can see
            why it would make sense to cross near there.

            Making the hike from the Pry house, up behind the barn and down Planter
            Road to the ford sure does make sense of what the Second Corps did.

            Stephen