Pry Ford: best approach for stomper

  • RoteBaron
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 27, 2009
      What is the best way to get to the site of the Pry Ford?
      Any tips on parking and path are welcome (I'm interested in east and/or west side approaches).

    • Jim Rosebrock
      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 28, 2009
        In my blog South From the North Woods back on January 27, I posted photos and links to Google Maps of Prys Ford.  If you view the double click the slideshow on my blog, it follows the road from Rt 34 to the Antietam followed by some photos along the east side of the creek. When heading east on Rt 34 out of Sharpsburg toward Boonsboro pass the Pry House road and turn left on the next road,  It is called Planters Lane I think.  As you proceed down this road, you will see the Pry House on the left.  You will have to make a left at the foot of this road, and then another right.  You will reach this cul-de;sac where you can park.

        Jim Rosebrock

        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 28, 2009
          My apologies to everyone.  I had one part of the directions incorrect.  Please use this versionof my post.  In my blog South From the North Woods back on January 27, I posted photos and links to Google Maps
          of Prys Ford.  If you view the double click the slideshow on my blog,
          it follows the road from Rt 34 to the Antietam followed by some photos
          along the east side of the creek. When heading east on Rt 34 out of Sharpsburg toward Boonsboro
          pass the Pry House road and turn left on the next road,  It is called
          Planters Lane I think.  As you proceed down this road, you will see the
          Pry House on the left.  You will have to make a right at the foot of
          this road, and then another left.  You will reach this cul-de;sac
          where you can park.

          Jim Rosebrock

          Message 4 of 12 , Mar 28, 2009
            Jim,

            I'm a frequent reader of your blog (along with Antietam blogs of John Hoptak and Mannie). I had seen your photos of the ford, but wanted to get precise directions. Along the creek, I often times am not sure what is private land and what is NPS territory. Thanks for the info.

            I also enjoyed your Nicodemus Hts photos. I was on that same hike two years ago. It is a must-see for any student of Antietam.

            Message 5 of 12 , Mar 28, 2009
              Thank you Tom.  The Nicodemus Hike was great. Perfect weather and grand views.  I am at the park on Sunday afternoons.  Hope to meet you sometime.

              Regards

              From: RoteBaron <RoteBaron@comcast. net>

              To: TalkAntietam@ yahoogroups. com

              Date: Saturday, March 28, 2009, 4:56 AM

              What is the best way to get to the site of the Pry Ford?

              Any tips on parking and path are welcome (I'm interested in east and/or west side approaches).

            • Dave
              Message 6 of 12 , Mar 28, 2009
                Jim and Tom: I'm also interested in a hike around the ford, but the
                Trailhead map shows none of this area being in NPS hands. Am I
                misreading it?

                I also enjoy your blog as well.

                Dave McGowan

                Jim Rosebrock wrote:

                > My apologies to everyone. I had one part of the directions
                > incorrect. Please use this versionof my post. In my blog South From
                > the North Woods back on January 27, I posted photos and links to
                > Google Maps
                > of Prys Ford. If you view the double click the slideshow on my blog,
                > it follows the road from Rt 34 to the Antietam followed by some photos
                > along the east side of the creek. When heading east on Rt 34 out of
                > Sharpsburg toward Boonsboro
                > pass the Pry House road and turn left on the next road, It is called
                > Planters Lane I think. As you proceed down this road, you will see the
                > Pry House on the left. You will have to make a right at the foot of
                > this road, and then another left. You will reach this cul-de;sac
                > where you can park.
                >
                > Jim Rosebrock
                >
                > --- On Sat, 3/28/09, RoteBaron <RoteBaron@...
                > <mailto:RoteBaron%40comcast.net>> wrote:
                >
                > From: RoteBaron <RoteBaron@... <mailto:RoteBaron%40comcast.net>>
                > Subject: [TalkAntietam] Pry Ford: best approach for stomper
                > To: TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com <mailto:TalkAntietam%40yahoogroups.com>
                > Date: Saturday, March 28, 2009, 4:56 AM
                >
                > What is the best way to get to the site of the Pry Ford?
                >
                > Any tips on parking and path are welcome (I'm interested in east
                > and/or west side approaches).
                >
                > Tom Shay

              • Jim Rosebrock
                Message 7 of 12 , Mar 28, 2009
                  At least on the east side of Pry's Ford, the property is largely private.

                  Message 8 of 12 , Mar 28, 2009
                    Both sides. The people on the west bank are acquaintences of ours, and I've been down there from their side of the creek. I think Mike Kefauver owns the east bank. Jim, I couldn't find your blog, what is the address.

                    Jim Rosebrock wrote:

                    > My apologies to everyone. I had one part of the directions

                    > incorrect. Please use this versionof my post. In my blog South From

                    > the North Woods back on January 27, I posted photos and links to

                    > Google Maps

                    > of Prys Ford. If you view the double click the slideshow on my blog,

                    > it follows the road from Rt 34 to the Antietam followed by some photos

                    > along the east side of the creek. When heading east on Rt 34 out of

                    > Sharpsburg toward Boonsboro

                    > pass the Pry House road and turn left on the next road, It is called

                    > Planters Lane I think. As you proceed down this road, you will see the

                    > Pry House on the left. You will have to make a right at the foot of

                    > this road, and then another left. You will reach this cul-de;sac

                    > where you can park.

                    > Jim Rosebrock

                    > --- On Sat, 3/28/09, RoteBaron <RoteBaron@comcast. net

                    > <mailto:RoteBaron% 40comcast. net>> wrote:

                    > From: RoteBaron <RoteBaron@comcast. net <mailto:RoteBaron% 40comcast. net>>

                    > Subject: [TalkAntietam] Pry Ford: best approach for stomper

                    > To: TalkAntietam@ yahoogroups. com <mailto:TalkAntieta m%40yahoogroups.. com>

                    > Date: Saturday, March 28, 2009, 4:56 AM

                    > What is the best way to get to the site of the Pry Ford?

                    > Any tips on parking and path are welcome (I'm interested in east

                    > and/or west side approaches).

                    > Tom Shay

                  • Jim Rosebrock
                    Message 9 of 12 , Mar 28, 2009
                      Tom
                      My blog is South From The North Woods

                      Jim

                      From: Dave <gewehr@cinci. rr.com>

                      To: TalkAntietam@ yahoogroups. com

                      Date: Saturday, March 28, 2009, 3:48 PM

                      Jim Rosebrock wrote:

                      > My apologies to everyone. I had one part of the directions

                      > incorrect. Please use this versionof my post. In my blog South From

                      > the North Woods back on January 27, I posted photos and links to

                      > Google Maps

                      > of Prys Ford. If you view the double click the slideshow on my blog,

                      > it follows the road from Rt 34 to the Antietam followed by some photos

                      > along the east side of the creek. When heading east on Rt 34 out of

                      > Sharpsburg toward Boonsboro

                      > pass the Pry House road and turn left on the next road, It is called

                      > Planters Lane I think. As you proceed down this road, you will see the

                      > Pry House on the left. You will have to make a right at the foot of

                      > this road, and then another left. You will reach this cul-de;sac

                      > where you can park.

                      > Jim Rosebrock

                      > --- On Sat, 3/28/09, RoteBaron <RoteBaron@comcast. net

                      > <mailto:RoteBaron% 40comcast. net>> wrote:

                      > From: RoteBaron <RoteBaron@comcast. net <mailto:RoteBaron% 40comcast. net>>

                      > Subject: [TalkAntietam] Pry Ford: best approach for stomper

                      > To: TalkAntietam@ yahoogroups. com <mailto:TalkAntieta m%40yahoogroups.. . com>

                      > Date: Saturday, March 28, 2009, 4:56 AM

                      > What is the best way to get to the site of the Pry Ford?

                      > Any tips on parking and path are welcome (I'm interested in east

                      > and/or west side approaches).

                      > Tom Shay

                    • RoteBaron
                      Message 10 of 12 , Mar 28, 2009
                        Jim's blog is at:
                        http://southfromthenorthwoods.blogspot.com/

                        Jim Rosebrock wrote:

                        > My apologies to everyone. I had one part of the directions

                        > incorrect. Please use this versionof my post. In my blog South From

                        > the North Woods back on January 27, I posted photos and links to

                        > Google Maps

                        > of Prys Ford. If you view the double click the slideshow on my blog,

                        > it follows the road from Rt 34 to the Antietam followed by some photos

                        > along the east side of the creek. When heading east on Rt 34 out of

                        > Sharpsburg toward Boonsboro

                        > pass the Pry House road and turn left on the next road, It is called

                        > Planters Lane I think. As you proceed down this road, you will see the

                        > Pry House on the left. You will have to make a right at the foot of

                        > this road, and then another left. You will reach this cul-de;sac

                        > where you can park.

                        > Jim Rosebrock

                        > --- On Sat, 3/28/09, RoteBaron <RoteBaron@comcast. net

                        > <mailto:RoteBaron% 40comcast. net>> wrote:

                        > From: RoteBaron <RoteBaron@comcast. net <mailto:RoteBaron% 40comcast. net>>

                        > Subject: [TalkAntietam] Pry Ford: best approach for stomper

                        > To: TalkAntietam@ yahoogroups. com <mailto:TalkAntieta m%40yahoogroups.. com>

                        > Date: Saturday, March 28, 2009, 4:56 AM

                        > What is the best way to get to the site of the Pry Ford?

                        > Any tips on parking and path are welcome (I'm interested in east

                        > and/or west side approaches).

                        > Tom Shay

                      • RoteBaron
                        Message 11 of 12 , Mar 28, 2009
                          Can we therefore assume that to visit Pry Ford, one would have to trespass on private property?

                          Message 12 of 12 , Mar 28, 2009
                            A while back I did a tour that included the ford and went to talk to
                            some of the local folks to get access. The man who owns the farm on the
                            west side was really nice and told me that any time I wanted to walk
                            from the bridge along the creek, on the west side, to the ford, that
                            would be no problem. I also spoke to the nice couple that own the house
                            just on the right at the end of Planter Road. They were very nice and
                            also told me that I was welcome to walk back there.

                            That said, I would still go to the house before hiking back there, just
                            to say hello. I believe the ford, though, is north of the boundary line
                            of the first family. I have never spoken to the folks who own the
                            second lot, but even from the creek behind the first house you can see
                            why it would make sense to cross near there.

                            Making the hike from the Pry house, up behind the barn and down Planter
                            Road to the ford sure does make sense of what the Second Corps did.

                            Stephen