Re: [TalkAntietam] Re: National Cemetery Grave Markers

    Message 1 of 18 , Mar 24, 2009
      Unfortunately, Stotelmyer does not give a reference, so I may be
      passing along a myth. Thanks for checking Snell. A quick look at Susan
      Trail's Remembering Antietam did not yield either.

      The Tipton in Adelman and Smith's Antietam: Then and Now is from 1877.
      Tipton made series of stereos that year at Antietam. This view is
      looking toward the gate from Simon's pov. There are no grave markers in
      the view. I believe the markers in that area are from more recent wars,
      which would explain their absence in an 1870s view. Seems to me that
      only about 3,000 of the current 5,000 graves were there during the
      1870s.

      Stephen

      Message 2 of 18 , Mar 24, 2009
        Forwarded from Steve Stotelmyer

        When researching The Bivouacs of the Dead information on the headstones
        at Antietam was hard to come by. As previously pointed out Snell and
        Brown’s Administrative History was strangely silent on the subject. The
        best I was able to find was: Risch, Erna, Quartermaster Support of the
        Army: A History of the Corps 1775-1939, Center of Military History
        United States Army, Washington D.C. 1989. From pages 466-467, “…1867,
        Congress also made provisions for a continuing program of care and
        maintenance of national cemeteries…Congress directed the Secretary of
        War to mark each grave with a small headstone…The Secretary of War made
        no final decision until 1873, when Congress having appropriated $1
        million for headstones, he decided in favor of marble or durable
        stone…Before the end of the year, the Quartermaster’s Department had
        let contracts and the work of placing the headstones in the national
        cemeteries was begun.” Please accept my apologies for failure to cite
        the source.

        Since the publication of Bivouacs the Park Service has issued a
        pamphlet with the following: “1879 also saw the inception of the
        standardized headstone. Designed by General Montgomery Meigs, the marble
        stones we see today are mostly Meig’s design with some variations. From
        the beginning a number of styles were used to mark the graves. Some
        inscriptions are in relief and some are not. Additionally, the relatives
        of some soldiers elected to provide their own markers, their designs
        varied greatly as did the material used. The private markers included
        metal, granite, wood, and of course marble. As late as 1936 some of
        these irregular markers remained. During that year Superintendent Carl
        M. Taute had the last 43 removed and replaced by the standard design.”
        Unfortunately there is no documentation, but I did find the last
        sentence about Superintendent Taute documented in Snell and Brown’s
        Administrative History, page 224. Hope this information helps.
      • cshoffeditz
        Message 3 of 18 , Mar 25, 2009

          Message 4 of 18 , Mar 26, 2009

            This is awesome. Thanks!

            Stephen

            Message 5 of 18 , Nov 15, 2009
              Anyone know what day in 1898 the 35th MA monument was dedicated and put
              on the bridge? Thanks.