Re: [TalkAntietam] Re: Joseph L. Harsh's Books

    Message 1 of 14 , Mar 14, 2002
      TJ:

      While Tom Clemens can, IIRC, shed more light on this, those of us
      at the ADG III Muster last year who had the esteemed honor of
      meeting Joe Harsh heard him say that his books on Mac will
      examine the entire structure of the Union military organization
      and how Mac became involved with the creation of the AoP. I do
      believe that since he covered Lee during the Peninsula Campaign
      in Confederate Tide Rising, he will also cover Mac during that
      same time period.

      I for one can hardly wait...... to see what he comes up
      with........

      Your humble servant,
      Gerry Mayers
      Co. B, "Tom Green Rifles",

      Edward Lee

        Message 3 of 14 , Mar 15, 2002
          Jeff;

          I stand by my comments. I will reserve the use of the words you
          have mentioned until such time as I read what Harsh has to say. I
          do realize that Sears has a very strong bias against Mac; to me
          that makes what he writes somewhat suspect.

          No, I am _not_ a Mac fan, but have come to realize there is more
          to Mac than the usual tar and feather approach employed to
          describe/discuss/write regarding him.

          Your humble servant,
          Gerry Mayers
          Co. B, "Tom Green Rifles",

          Edward Lee

          Sponsor ---------------------~-->
          > Buy Stock for $4.
          > No Minimums.
          > FREE Money 2002.
          > http://us.click.yahoo.com/BgmYkB/VovDAA/ySSFAA/GmiolB/TM
          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        • Tom Clemens
          Message 4 of 14 , Mar 15, 2002
            Tony,
            Joe Harsh is still in the process of writing, so it will be some time yet before
            anything appears. He is projecting five volumes at this time, subject to change
            of course. I am sure he will answer all of those questions and more.
            He relied on a few trusted commanders who, IMHO, let him down, principally
            Porter and Franklin. He thought a lot of Burnside, at least for a while, and
            was impressed with Hooker, even though Hooker bad-mouthed him, Mac recommeded
            him for a promotion.
            A lot of individual disccussions, but nothing like a preliminary briefing, a
            critical error that was repeated throughout theCivil War.
            I don't know, Joe might
            ditto
            He thought he won, ie. Lee retreated abandoning wounded etc. Was pleased at
            fulfilling Lincoln's orders, and proud of his ersatz army.
            Joe will be far more detailed and eloquent.