Re: [TalkAntietam] re CS units at Sunken Road and R D Parker

    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 23, 2009
      True, and from what I am reading these days, Cope seldom visited the field and mostly sent his assistants.

      >>> <bdowney@...> 03/22/09 11:40 PM >>>
      ... The engineering help from the Gettysburg team (mentioned in the
      article) was mostly in the body of Emmor B Cope, their topographical
      engineer. Thus the "Carman-Cope" maps.

      Brian

      Message 2 of 13 , Mar 23, 2009
        Sorry, must have been watching Castaway and subliminally wrote Wilson instead of Parker.
        I haven't studied Hughes letter particularly, but recommend you look at the Battlefield Board maps on-line to answer your question. I am sure Brian has a link on the site somewhere.

        Dear Tom,

        Further to my earlier response.... as per the snipped below...is
        there any way to determine for sure which ridge J B Hughes of
        11th AL was talking about? It is pretty obvious he is looking
        northerly of the sunken road.

        Not sure whom you mean by Wilson? BTW did a google search of "R D
        Parker, Downers Grove, Illinois" and got an eBay hit for a June
        1937 issue of National Geographic magazine. Interesting!

        Message 3 of 13 , Mar 23, 2009
          Brian does have a good listing of maps on his site, but I do not
          know if the maps will help determine the ridge Hughes was talking
          about.

          Per your comment about Cope not physically going to the field but
          sending team members....could that also apply to requesting
          information from surviving veterans? If so, maybe Parker was part
          of such a team.

            Message 5 of 13 , Mar 23, 2009
              Ok.

              Parker must have had some connection to the battle... Hmm.....