Re: [TalkAntietam] Re: Joseph L. Harsh's Books

  • Teej Smith
    Message 1 of 14 , Mar 14, 2002
      > James;
      >
      > Joe Harsh is working on a series of book that will examine Mac in
      > the same manner in which he examined Lee and the overall
      > Confederate strategy in his books Confederate Tide Rising, Taken
      > at the Flood and Sounding the Shallows.
      >
      > The Mac books should cause many to re-examine their views of this
      > much maligned Union general.

      Gerry,

      Are these book or books going to cover more than Antietam? I'd love to
      hear his take on Mac's behavior on the peninsula (specifically the Seven
      Days) and whether he deliberately dragged his feet in supporting Pope.

      Regards,
      Teej
      Message 2 of 14 , Mar 14, 2002
        TJ:

        While Tom Clemens can, IIRC, shed more light on this, those of us
        at the ADG III Muster last year who had the esteemed honor of
        meeting Joe Harsh heard him say that his books on Mac will
        examine the entire structure of the Union military organization
        and how Mac became involved with the creation of the AoP. I do
        believe that since he covered Lee during the Peninsula Campaign
        in Confederate Tide Rising, he will also cover Mac during that
        same time period.

        I for one can hardly wait...... to see what he comes up
        with........

        Your humble servant,
        Gerry Mayers
        Co. B, "Tom Green Rifles",

        Edward Lee

        Sponsor ---------------------~-->
        > Buy Stock for $4.
        > No Minimums.
        > FREE Money 2002.
        > http://us.click.yahoo.com/BgmYkB/VovDAA/ySSFAA/GmiolB/TM
        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • Jeff Beckner (PWC Magazine)
        Message 3 of 14 , Mar 15, 2002
          You left out "and justly" between "much" and "maligned!"

          Message 4 of 14 , Mar 15, 2002
            Jeff;

            I stand by my comments. I will reserve the use of the words you
            have mentioned until such time as I read what Harsh has to say. I
            do realize that Sears has a very strong bias against Mac; to me
            that makes what he writes somewhat suspect.

            No, I am _not_ a Mac fan, but have come to realize there is more
            to Mac than the usual tar and feather approach employed to
            describe/discuss/write regarding him.

            Your humble servant,
            Gerry Mayers
            Co. B, "Tom Green Rifles",

            Edward Lee

            Sponsor ---------------------~-->
            > Buy Stock for $4.
            > No Minimums.
            > FREE Money 2002.
            > http://us.click.yahoo.com/BgmYkB/VovDAA/ySSFAA/GmiolB/TM
            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          • Tom Clemens
            Message 5 of 14 , Mar 15, 2002
              Tony,
              Joe Harsh is still in the process of writing, so it will be some time yet before
              anything appears. He is projecting five volumes at this time, subject to change
              of course. I am sure he will answer all of those questions and more.
              He relied on a few trusted commanders who, IMHO, let him down, principally
              Porter and Franklin. He thought a lot of Burnside, at least for a while, and
              was impressed with Hooker, even though Hooker bad-mouthed him, Mac recommeded
              him for a promotion.
              A lot of individual disccussions, but nothing like a preliminary briefing, a
              critical error that was repeated throughout theCivil War.
              I don't know, Joe might
              ditto
              He thought he won, ie. Lee retreated abandoning wounded etc. Was pleased at
              fulfilling Lincoln's orders, and proud of his ersatz army.
              Joe will be far more detailed and eloquent.