re CS units at SUnken Road and R D Parker

    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 22, 2009
      Gang,

      Tom Clemens sent me copies of some letters he recently found sent
      to a Captain R D Parker, Downer's Grove, Illinois. The letters
      largely were from surviving veterans of G B Anderson's brigade,
      Wilcox's, R H Anderson and Rhodes' brigade, especially the Sixth
      Alabama. All the letters appear to be in response to a newspaper
      appeal from Parker published in newspapers in Alabama
      (predominantly) and also in NC. One of the NC letters is from the
      brother of Wm T March, commanding the 4th NC at the Sunken Road
      where he was mortally wounded. Marsh's brother Edward was badly
      wounded during the Battle of Chancellorsville during the famed
      Flank Attack by Jackson on the lines of the XIth Corps.

      Surprisingly, there was a letter as well from a surviving veteran
      of the 64th NYVI.

      Now for the really interesting part, since Tom does not seem to
      know which unit Captain Parker belonged to. It appears one of
      Parker's respondents might have left a clew as to Parker's unit.
      In a letter dated February 25, 1900 to Parker, J B Hughes, who
      was in the Eleventh Regiment, Alabama Infantry, in Wilcox's
      Brigade at the Sunken Road, wrote thus:

      "After crossing the stone fence [probably the stone fence
      bordering the Hagerstown Turnpike at the front of the Piper Farm]
      we went down a little hill and at the base of the hill the ground
      had been recently plowed which was near a big barn. [I think he
      is speaking of the Piper Farm, particularly the barn, on the left
      side of the Piper Lane.] I saw General Pryor near the barn. As
      we advanced a battery came out from behind the barn, went in a
      north-west direction and opened fire near the said stone fence.
      [From other accounts, this stone fence in the corner of the
      Hagerstown Pike and the Piper Farm Lane is where possibly Huger's
      (Phelps) Norfolk Battery may have been placed. There is another
      possibility that it could have been Boyce's Battery.] Just after
      passing in front of said battery I was wounded but I went on to
      what I supposed to be the Bloody Lane and laid down in the lane
      on the lowest or seemed to be lowest place in the lane. [Italics
      and underlining added for emphasis next.] Your men were about 100
      yards in our front and just over the brow of a low ridge which
      ridge extended from south east to northwest. I contended that we
      were in the angle where I have marked. [Apparently Parker sent
      copies of a map to those who responded to his appeal asking them
      to mark their positions or positions of their regiments; I wonder
      if Parker was part of Carman's team getting up the information
      for the now famed CC maps or possibly trying to write a
      regimental history for his regiment??? In any case, from this
      quote, it sounds as if parts of Wilcox's Brigade was in the lane
      about where the present day Observation Tower stands.]

      Tom C, does this help you determine who Parker was or at least
      his unit? Anyone else have any ideas?

        Message 3 of 13 , Mar 22, 2009
          Dear Tom,

          I agree it does appear to be a conundrum. However, if Parker was
          indeed a veteran on the Union side, perhaps he was either trying
          to write a regimental history of his unit or perhaps he was on
          Carman's team gathering information on positions of various CS
          units.

          I wonder if Carman did all the contact work for the plotting of
          his maps which we are still using today by himself or whether he
          had help? If we had a way to find out who were all involved with
          the Antietam Battlefield Board, that might give a clue?

            Message 5 of 13 , Mar 22, 2009
              Dear Tom,

              Further to my earlier response.... as per the snipped below...is
              there any way to determine for sure which ridge J B Hughes of
              11th AL was talking about? It is pretty obvious he is looking
              northerly of the sunken road.

              Not sure whom you mean by Wilson? BTW did a google search of "R D
              Parker, Downers Grove, Illinois" and got an eBay hit for a June
              1937 issue of National Geographic magazine. Interesting!

              yards in our front and just over the brow of a low ridge which
              ridge extended from south east to northwest. I contended that we
              were in the angle where I have marked. <snip>
              Message 6 of 13 , Mar 22, 2009
                Dear Tom,

                I am going to see what, if any, I can determine here also.

                Message 7 of 13 , Mar 22, 2009
                  Hi Gerry,

                  I put up a brief summary of the activities and membership of the
                  Battlefield Board a few years back, here:

                  http://aotw.org/exhibit.php?exhibit_id=374

                  Hope that'll help a little.

                  Brian

                  Message 8 of 13 , Mar 22, 2009
                    ... The engineering help from the Gettysburg team (mentioned in the
                    article) was mostly in the body of Emmor B Cope, their topographical
                    engineer. Thus the "Carman-Cope" maps.

                    Brian

                    Message 9 of 13 , Mar 23, 2009
                      True, and from what I am reading these days, Cope seldom visited the field and mostly sent his assistants.

                        Message 11 of 13 , Mar 23, 2009
                          Brian does have a good listing of maps on his site, but I do not
                          know if the maps will help determine the ridge Hughes was talking
                          about.

                          Per your comment about Cope not physically going to the field but
                          sending team members....could that also apply to requesting
                          information from surviving veterans? If so, maybe Parker was part
                          of such a team.

                            Message 13 of 13 , Mar 23, 2009
                              Ok.

                              Parker must have had some connection to the battle... Hmm.....