Re: queston about parallel routes to HagerstownTurnpike north from Sharpsburg

    Message 1 of 18 , Mar 17, 2009

      Thanks to Carman, we have an
      idea where the 17th's expedition was but the scout on the 16th I
      think we only have Blackford. Do you think Stuart's scout on the
      morning/afternoon of the 16th was in the same area that Lee wanted
      Jackson to attack on the 17th? Were there any Union troops in that
      area on the 16th? If not, and if Blackford is correct about running
      into Union troops he had to be closer to the Hagerstown Pike around
      the North Woods later in the afternoon on the 16th when Doubleday
      arrived? Do you think Blackford and Stuart went all the way to the
      Williamsport-Keedysville Road (today's Bakersville and Spielman Rds
      part of Rt 63) on the 16th west of the Hagerstown Pike or even to the
      Boonsboro-Williamsport Road (today's Rt 68)?

      It is about 1 ¾ straight-
      line miles from the Dunkard Church to the Keedysville-Williamsport Rd
      and about 4 ½ to the Boonsboro-Williamsport Rd. There is a road to the west,
      the Downsville Pike Rt 632 which runs from Rt 63 to
      Hagerstown in pretty much a straight line which road I believe
      existed in 1862. I guess Stuart did not get that far either day but he may have had a chance on the 16th?

      Many of the modern-day roads in the area from Sharpsburg to
      Williamsport to Hagerstown seem to have been the same in 1862 so
      Stuart did have some options to the NW but if he could not get
      further north than Mercersville, I guess those options wouldn't
      help.

      Message 2 of 18 , Mar 18, 2009
        Larry, I am away from home and sources right now, but IIRC one ofthe
        cavalry regiments camps on the night of the 16th up past the Squirrel
        Level Church, with a few hundred yards of the Bakersville road. It
        strikes me as logical that they'd know about a road that close to them,
        but maybe not.
        BTW, I am in HOG HEAVEN at the NYPL looking at the Ezra Carman
        Collection. A lot of stuff not on the microfilm!

        >>> "eighth_conn_inf" <eighth_conn_inf@...> 03/17/09 4:15 PM >>>
        Tom,

        Message 3 of 18 , Mar 18, 2009
          Tom

          I hope you find some great material there for your book! Are you
          finding sources which show from whom he obtained info? Can you share
          any tidbits--perhaps when you return?

          Here is what I wrote for the G. Squirrel Church event which occurred
          late on the 16th and early on the 17th for my Antietam cav chapter;
          it is from Carman:

          "The Seventh Virginia Cavalry which Stuart detached from Munford to
          accompany Jackson on 10 September returned and made its way along
          the Potomac and then dismounted and walked to a point on the
          Hagerstown Turnpike just north of the Ground Squirrel Church and set
          up their line. Neither they nor the Third Pennsylvania Cavalry knew
          that they were 600 yards apart on the turnpike and Doubleday did not
          know that the Rebel troopers were less than a half-mile north of his
          division. The Seventh Virginia remained there until early morning
          and after discovering its vulnerable position, retreated southwest
          to New Industry on the Potomac until afternoon when it joined
          Munford a mile south of Sharpsburg at the Blackford House."

          If Stuart never made it to Rt 83 let alone Rt 85, Lee never got good
          info on routes north to Hagerstown from Sharpsburg.

          Message 4 of 18 , Mar 18, 2009
            OK, that was what I remembered. If they went to New Industry couldn't they confirm the river road was a viable route northard?
            Yes, one of these days.

            Message 5 of 18 , Mar 18, 2009
              The "road" near New Industry according to the CC map peters out for a ways but there is a dotted line indicating at least a path. It heads more or less north then NE joining what is now the Taylor Landing Rd.It also continues splits to go north on what today is the Fairplay Rd. which joins Rt 63 (Spielman Rd) which joins Rt 65 a little to the east.

              I don't think any of Stuart's troopers got to Rt 63 on the 16th or 17th and probably not even the Keedysville-Williamsport Rd. If on the 17th Stuart could not get beyond the "Mercersville Bend" on the Potomac, he never got further north than todays Mondell road after reading about the artillery fight with the Unionists.

              Here is some material from Carman about the Jackson/Stuart effort on the 17th talking about the Cox farm, river road and New Industry.

              "Lee… ordered an attack by Jackson on McClellan's right in order to relieve his center from the
              pressure of Richardson's attack and the threatening movement of Pleasonton on the Boonsboro
              and Sharpsburg Road, and Stuart was then massing cavalry, artillery, and infantry for that
              purpose....Fitzhugh Lee's Brigade was then in rear of Jackson's left and near it was the 7th
              Virginia Cavalry of Robertson's Brigade. Hampton's Brigade was brought from the right....
              when he [joined] Fitzhugh Lee had already massed three of his regiments at the Cox place, on
              the river road....Hampton formed on Fitzhugh Lee's right, under cover of Nicodemus Hill, upon
              which were several batteries of artillery, slightly withdrawn from the crest of the hill. In all
              Stuart had seven regiments of cavalry and nine guns from various batteries...supported by the
              48th North Carolina Infantry of Walker's Division. The advance was made about 3:00 p.m., the
              4th Virginia Cavalry leading. The column, starting from Cox's [house], passed up the road under
              cover of the high ground on its right until the advance reached New Industry (today Mondell),
              when it halted while the guns under Pelham, turning to the right and moving a short distance on
              the road leading to the Hagerstown Road at the toll-gate [today's Mondell Rd?}, turned to the left
              and went into position on the high ground nine hundred yards from and directly west of
              Doubleday's guns on Poffenberger Hill. Stuart's guns were greeted with such a heavy fire as they
              took position that they were quickly used up and forced to withdraw.... Branch's and French's
              guns went into position on Nicodemus Hill about the time Pelham's guns were driven off and
              were almost instantly silenced, losing many killed or wounded by Doubleday's guns, which
              turned savagely upon them.... Stuart, after halting the head of his column an hour or more,
              withdrew and gave up the intended movement on McClellan's right, and the entire force fell
              back."

              Union First Corps artillery was near Joseph Poffenberger's House and Nicodemus Hill on the afternoon of the 17th so is it more probable than Carman believes that this action took place on today's Mondell Road.

              Doesn't the CC map near the upper left margin shows the intersection of the Keedysville-Williamsport Road with the Hagerstown Pike north of the Schneibele house? The only tollhouse I see is on the LOC Michler map to the SW of the intersection of the Hagerstown Pike and today's Mondell Rd.

              Message 6 of 18 , Mar 21, 2009

                Looking closely at the CC maps for 3:30-3:45 PM and 4:20 PM, Stuart and his artillery formed on the Landing Rd (river road) and headed east on a farm road towards the Coffman Farm Rd. They did not use the modern Mondell Rd nor the modern Taylor's Landing Rd. This assumes the CC maps are correct. I wonder if the 1908 version of the maps show the same locations for the troops?

                Bottom line: on both the 16th and 17th, Stuart and Blackford never moved north of what I call the "Mercersville Bend" even though CC maps don't show Union troops due north of that point. Of course the CC maps don't show anything NW of Mercersville. Therefore, Stuart could not have found other roads leading north to Hagerstown since he did not get further north than New Industry.

                Maybe the tour this Sunday (3/22) which includes Nicodemus Heights will talk about this. Have you uncovered anything more on this?

                Larry
              • Robert Moore
                Message 7 of 18 , Mar 21, 2009
                  I want to say that most of the National Cemeteries, at least in Virginia, received the stone headstones sometime in the mid-1870s, but I can't say for certain exactly what year.

                  Robert Moore

                  ________________________________
                  In an 1867 issue of Harper's Weekly there are illustrations of wooden
                  oval grave markers in the Antietam National Cemetery during the time of
                  the dedication. Does anyone know when these were taken down and
                  exchanged for the marble ones? They were gone by the 1880 dedication of
                  Simon. Thanks.

                    Message 9 of 18 , Mar 21, 2009
                      Robert,

                      Thanks. I'll check with the park. Good idea.

                      Stephen

                      Message 10 of 18 , Mar 22, 2009
                        It turns out, according to Steve Stotelmyer's Bivouacs of the Dead,
                        that the wooden markers were put in during 1867 and were replaced with
                        stone markers in 1873.

                        Stephen
                      • Robert Moore
                        Message 11 of 18 , Mar 23, 2009
                          That's interesting stuff Stephen. As I am one who frequents Civil War National Cemeteries, I'm glad you shared this finding.

                          Robert

                          ________________________________
                          Message 12 of 18 , Mar 23, 2009
                            Stephen,

                            I went to Snell's Antietam Cemetery and Battlefield Administrative History, and it was conspicuously absent from any reference to the laying of headstones at Antietam. Ernst doesn't talk about it either. The only source that I was able to find (other than your Stotlemeyer reference) was an article from the 1950s by Edward Steere that states that headstones were authorized by congress for National Cemeteries that were added to federal authority after 1873. But, since the Antietam Board dallied until 1877 before the deed to the cemetery was finally given to the War department, I wonder if Stotelmeyer is correct?

                            I'm living in Germany right now, and most of my Antietam books are stateside in a large storage unit, so I don't have my copy of Bivouacs of the Dead with me. If you could indulge me, what is his reference? According to Snell, Biggs had already requested $18,000 for 6,000 headstones and inscriptions by December of 1865. I imagine that it took a while to raise the money, especially given the reluctance on the part of numerous Union states in handing over funds that they pledged, but is it possible that they were ahead of the game?

                            I seem to remember a photo from the 1870s in Adelman and Smith's Antietam: Then and Now that was taken by Tipton in either 1873 or 1877. Or, maybe it was Frassanito's book. I forget. Either way, if it was from 1873 then there should still be some visible evidence of disturbed ground from erecting the headstones, right?

                            Just a few thoughts.

                            Adam

                            Message 13 of 18 , Mar 24, 2009
                              Unfortunately, Stotelmyer does not give a reference, so I may be
                              passing along a myth. Thanks for checking Snell. A quick look at Susan
                              Trail's Remembering Antietam did not yield either.

                              The Tipton in Adelman and Smith's Antietam: Then and Now is from 1877.
                              Tipton made series of stereos that year at Antietam. This view is
                              looking toward the gate from Simon's pov. There are no grave markers in
                              the view. I believe the markers in that area are from more recent wars,
                              which would explain their absence in an 1870s view. Seems to me that
                              only about 3,000 of the current 5,000 graves were there during the
                              1870s.

                              Stephen

                              Message 14 of 18 , Mar 24, 2009
                                Forwarded from Steve Stotelmyer

                                When researching The Bivouacs of the Dead information on the headstones
                                at Antietam was hard to come by. As previously pointed out Snell and
                                Brown’s Administrative History was strangely silent on the subject. The
                                best I was able to find was: Risch, Erna, Quartermaster Support of the
                                Army: A History of the Corps 1775-1939, Center of Military History
                                United States Army, Washington D.C. 1989. From pages 466-467, “…1867,
                                Congress also made provisions for a continuing program of care and
                                maintenance of national cemeteries…Congress directed the Secretary of
                                War to mark each grave with a small headstone…The Secretary of War made
                                no final decision until 1873, when Congress having appropriated $1
                                million for headstones, he decided in favor of marble or durable
                                stone…Before the end of the year, the Quartermaster’s Department had
                                let contracts and the work of placing the headstones in the national
                                cemeteries was begun.” Please accept my apologies for failure to cite
                                the source.

                                Since the publication of Bivouacs the Park Service has issued a
                                pamphlet with the following: “1879 also saw the inception of the
                                standardized headstone. Designed by General Montgomery Meigs, the marble
                                stones we see today are mostly Meig’s design with some variations. From
                                the beginning a number of styles were used to mark the graves. Some
                                inscriptions are in relief and some are not. Additionally, the relatives
                                of some soldiers elected to provide their own markers, their designs
                                varied greatly as did the material used. The private markers included
                                metal, granite, wood, and of course marble. As late as 1936 some of
                                these irregular markers remained. During that year Superintendent Carl
                                M. Taute had the last 43 removed and replaced by the standard design.”
                                Unfortunately there is no documentation, but I did find the last
                                sentence about Superintendent Taute documented in Snell and Brown’s
                                Administrative History, page 224. Hope this information helps.
                              • cshoffeditz
                                Message 15 of 18 , Mar 25, 2009

                                  Message 16 of 18 , Mar 26, 2009

                                    This is awesome. Thanks!

                                    Stephen

                                    Message 17 of 18 , Nov 15, 2009
                                      Anyone know what day in 1898 the 35th MA monument was dedicated and put
                                      on the bridge? Thanks.