[TalkAntietam] Re: queston about parallel routes to Hagerstown Turnpike north from Sharpsburg

    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 17, 2009
      I think what Gerry is talking about is the road now known as Mondell road and then Taylor's Landing Road which led to the aforementioned site on the Potomac. From there a road led along the banks for some distance and roads branching off that led back to the Pike and others to the Boonsboro - Williamsport road. It shows on local maps and the names are not mentioned, thus I am using modern names. It was Harsh's opinion that the "Cox Farm expedition" was an attempt to see if that road was usable to evacuate the army northward toward Hagerstown.

      Dr. Thomas G. Clemens

      >>> "eighth_conn_inf" <eighth_conn_inf@...> 3/17/2009 8:22 AM >>>

      I should have looked at Carman more closely; he says about the Antietam battlefield "The turnpike, country roads, and farm lanes gave ready access to all parts of the field upon which, save along the banks of the Antietam itself, there were no obstacles to the movement of troops and but few to the passage of artillery." Later he mentions "farm lanes" in several places. He often names the lanes for the farms to which they lead likely echoing usage at the time. In another place Carman mentions a "stock lane" which implies only a cattle path rather than a "regular" farm lane.

      Lanes were important as they usually had some type of fencing on either side (as did pikes and other roads) as they traversed various farmers' fields so provided some cover as well as barriers for troop movements. Looks like determining which lanes couriers/cavalry used will be interesting lacking primary sources.