Re: [TalkAntietam] re Rodes brigade at Sunken Road

    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 2, 2009
      Dean;

      You have given me much to think about here and this is a great
      help for my book manuscript.....

      I checked Harsh this evening and he says nothing about Longstreet
      exercising any major tactical control but he does say something
      interesting in TATF about Lee basically leaving the northern part
      of the field to Jackson, Longstreet and D H Hill from about noon
      or onwards and concentrating on the problems manifesting
      themselves down on the Lower Bridge (the Confederate right).

      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 3, 2009
        Dean,

        Again, this is great information! So Longstreet's ordering of
        Rodes to advance his brigade is an attempt to turn the right
        flank of French's division?

        Also, does "Unfurl those Colors" give any indication of when
        Gordon was wounded for the final time? When you read Gordon's
        memoir, he does not seem to indicate about how long after the
        fighting began in the sunken road his wounds occurred.
        Interestingly enough, though, he does state that Tew received his
        mortal wounding fairly early on...which would seem to
        indicate....if true... that G B Anderson also receives his mortal
        wound in the ankle very early in the action...perhaps right after
        returning from going to D H Hill to ask for reinforcements,
        spurring the latter office to go to Lee and Longstreet and
        thereby sparking the famous horse incident?

          On Mar 3, 2009, at 7:43 AM, G E Mayers wrote:

          > Again, this is great information! So Longstreet's ordering of
          > Rodes to advance his brigade is an attempt to turn the right
          > flank of French's division?

          I don't think the intent was that grand.

          Rather a tactical adjustment of the firing line in that area, pushing
          forward so the Confederates control the local terrain feature rather
          than allowing the Federals to use it as a firing berm.

          > Also, does "Unfurl those Colors" give any indication of when
          > Gordon was wounded for the final time? When you read Gordon's
          > memoir, he does not seem to indicate about how long after the
          > fighting began in the sunken road his wounds occurred.

          Neither. The timing is my inference from the fact that Rodes went
          personally to the 6 Ala to order them to attack and Gordon makes no
          mention of him, the orders, or the belated attack in his account. He
          does, however, describe the fighting (from the road) and goes into
          detail about his wounding and being carried off on a stretcher. I
          think he would have noted the attack if he was still there when that
          happened.

          Furthermore, it makes good sense that the 6 Ala would become less
          responsive in the time after the wounding (especially if it had just
          happened) and that fits into the narrative of events very well. But
          is conjecture.

          > Interestingly enough, though, he does state that Tew received his
          > mortal wounding fairly early on...which would seem to
          > indicate....if true... that G B Anderson also receives his mortal
          > wound in the ankle very early in the action...perhaps right after
          > returning from going to D H Hill to ask for reinforcements,
          > spurring the latter office to go to Lee and Longstreet and
          > thereby sparking the famous horse incident?

          I'm thinking the "horse" thing happened earlier, as part of the tour
          Lee and Longstreet made of the road position right before the attack
          hit (the one that ended with Gordon announcing he would hold the
          position until the sun went down). I'd wager it happened just before
          the two of them made it to the division, Hill would have ridden back
          to the Hagerstown Pike to greet the approaching army command just
          south of the position... and all of that seemed reasonably relaxed,
          which would not be the case if Hill rode back to Lee frantically
          looking for reinforcements as would be the case after the attack began.

          Dean