Re: [TalkAntietam] re Rodes brigade at Sunken Road

  • Dean Essig
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 2, 2009
      On Mar 2, 2009, at 11:18 AM, G E Mayers wrote:

      > So why did Longstreet order the attack by Rodes?

      I can find nothing that explains Longstreet's thinking here (neither
      his report or memoirs mention the event at all). The presumption
      would be that the ridge the Union was fighting from looks to be
      better for the defense that the rather flat low area of the Sunken
      Road on that left flank.

      > Was this before the unfortunate incident with Col Lightfoot of
      > the Sixth Alabama? or after it?

      All of this must have happened before that.

      > Also, was this before the Irish
      > Brigade attack?

      Based on the maps in Unfurl those Colors, by the time the Irish had
      formed and were beginning their attack, the 14 CT had backed off and
      disengaged (10:30 am), my my guess is this occured before the Irish
      Brigade was involved.

      Also, that book does mention the assorted attacks out of the Sunken
      Road, but only in general terms and does not go into detail about the
      Confederates involved.

      Dean

      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 2, 2009
        Dean;

        You have given me much to think about here and this is a great
        help for my book manuscript.....

        I checked Harsh this evening and he says nothing about Longstreet
        exercising any major tactical control but he does say something
        interesting in TATF about Lee basically leaving the northern part
        of the field to Jackson, Longstreet and D H Hill from about noon
        or onwards and concentrating on the problems manifesting
        themselves down on the Lower Bridge (the Confederate right).

        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 3, 2009
          Dean,

          Again, this is great information! So Longstreet's ordering of
          Rodes to advance his brigade is an attempt to turn the right
          flank of French's division?

          Also, does "Unfurl those Colors" give any indication of when
          Gordon was wounded for the final time? When you read Gordon's
          memoir, he does not seem to indicate about how long after the
          fighting began in the sunken road his wounds occurred.
          Interestingly enough, though, he does state that Tew received his
          mortal wounding fairly early on...which would seem to
          indicate....if true... that G B Anderson also receives his mortal
          wound in the ankle very early in the action...perhaps right after
          returning from going to D H Hill to ask for reinforcements,
          spurring the latter office to go to Lee and Longstreet and
          thereby sparking the famous horse incident?

            On Mar 3, 2009, at 7:43 AM, G E Mayers wrote:

            > Again, this is great information! So Longstreet's ordering of
            > Rodes to advance his brigade is an attempt to turn the right
            > flank of French's division?

            I don't think the intent was that grand.

            Rather a tactical adjustment of the firing line in that area, pushing
            forward so the Confederates control the local terrain feature rather
            than allowing the Federals to use it as a firing berm.

            > Also, does "Unfurl those Colors" give any indication of when
            > Gordon was wounded for the final time? When you read Gordon's
            > memoir, he does not seem to indicate about how long after the
            > fighting began in the sunken road his wounds occurred.

            Neither. The timing is my inference from the fact that Rodes went
            personally to the 6 Ala to order them to attack and Gordon makes no
            mention of him, the orders, or the belated attack in his account. He
            does, however, describe the fighting (from the road) and goes into
            detail about his wounding and being carried off on a stretcher. I
            think he would have noted the attack if he was still there when that
            happened.

            Furthermore, it makes good sense that the 6 Ala would become less
            responsive in the time after the wounding (especially if it had just
            happened) and that fits into the narrative of events very well. But
            is conjecture.

            > Interestingly enough, though, he does state that Tew received his
            > mortal wounding fairly early on...which would seem to
            > indicate....if true... that G B Anderson also receives his mortal
            > wound in the ankle very early in the action...perhaps right after
            > returning from going to D H Hill to ask for reinforcements,
            > spurring the latter office to go to Lee and Longstreet and
            > thereby sparking the famous horse incident?

            I'm thinking the "horse" thing happened earlier, as part of the tour
            Lee and Longstreet made of the road position right before the attack
            hit (the one that ended with Gordon announcing he would hold the
            position until the sun went down). I'd wager it happened just before
            the two of them made it to the division, Hill would have ridden back
            to the Hagerstown Pike to greet the approaching army command just
            south of the position... and all of that seemed reasonably relaxed,
            which would not be the case if Hill rode back to Lee frantically
            looking for reinforcements as would be the case after the attack began.

            Dean