Re: [TalkAntietam] re Rodes brigade at Sunken Road

    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 2 7:55 AM
      Dean,

      This does! Thanks! I think the ridgeline is probably the one
      where the CT regiment marker is?

      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 2 8:01 AM
        Based on the Battlefield America map, I think so. Also Carmen makes a
        point that the attack was into the 14 CT and that Tompkins' Battery
        (on the Visitor Center hill) was in a great position to rake it.

        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 2 9:18 AM
          Dear Dean,

          Thank you again. So why did Longstreet order the attack by Rodes?
          Was this before the unfortunate incident with Col Lightfoot of
          the Sixth Alabama? or after it? Also, was this before the Irish
          Brigade attack?

          > Based on the Battlefield America map, I think so. Also Carmen
          > makes a
          > point that the attack was into the 14 CT and that Tompkins'
          > Battery
          > (on the Visitor Center hill) was in a great position to rake
          > it.
          >

          > On Mar 2, 2009, at 9:55 AM, G E Mayers wrote:
          >
          >> Dean,
          >>
          >> This does! Thanks! I think the ridgeline is probably the one
          >> where the CT regiment marker is?

        • Dean Essig
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 2 11:23 AM
            On Mar 2, 2009, at 11:18 AM, G E Mayers wrote:

            > So why did Longstreet order the attack by Rodes?

            I can find nothing that explains Longstreet's thinking here (neither
            his report or memoirs mention the event at all). The presumption
            would be that the ridge the Union was fighting from looks to be
            better for the defense that the rather flat low area of the Sunken
            Road on that left flank.

            > Was this before the unfortunate incident with Col Lightfoot of
            > the Sixth Alabama? or after it?

            All of this must have happened before that.

            > Also, was this before the Irish
            > Brigade attack?

            Based on the maps in Unfurl those Colors, by the time the Irish had
            formed and were beginning their attack, the 14 CT had backed off and
            disengaged (10:30 am), my my guess is this occured before the Irish
            Brigade was involved.

            Also, that book does mention the assorted attacks out of the Sunken
            Road, but only in general terms and does not go into detail about the
            Confederates involved.

            Dean

            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 2 6:33 PM
              Dean;

              You have given me much to think about here and this is a great
              help for my book manuscript.....

              I checked Harsh this evening and he says nothing about Longstreet
              exercising any major tactical control but he does say something
              interesting in TATF about Lee basically leaving the northern part
              of the field to Jackson, Longstreet and D H Hill from about noon
              or onwards and concentrating on the problems manifesting
              themselves down on the Lower Bridge (the Confederate right).

              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 3 5:43 AM
                Dean,

                Again, this is great information! So Longstreet's ordering of
                Rodes to advance his brigade is an attempt to turn the right
                flank of French's division?

                Also, does "Unfurl those Colors" give any indication of when
                Gordon was wounded for the final time? When you read Gordon's
                memoir, he does not seem to indicate about how long after the
                fighting began in the sunken road his wounds occurred.
                Interestingly enough, though, he does state that Tew received his
                mortal wounding fairly early on...which would seem to
                indicate....if true... that G B Anderson also receives his mortal
                wound in the ankle very early in the action...perhaps right after
                returning from going to D H Hill to ask for reinforcements,
                spurring the latter office to go to Lee and Longstreet and
                thereby sparking the famous horse incident?

                  On Mar 3, 2009, at 7:43 AM, G E Mayers wrote:

                  > Again, this is great information! So Longstreet's ordering of
                  > Rodes to advance his brigade is an attempt to turn the right
                  > flank of French's division?

                  I don't think the intent was that grand.

                  Rather a tactical adjustment of the firing line in that area, pushing
                  forward so the Confederates control the local terrain feature rather
                  than allowing the Federals to use it as a firing berm.

                  > Also, does "Unfurl those Colors" give any indication of when
                  > Gordon was wounded for the final time? When you read Gordon's
                  > memoir, he does not seem to indicate about how long after the
                  > fighting began in the sunken road his wounds occurred.

                  Neither. The timing is my inference from the fact that Rodes went
                  personally to the 6 Ala to order them to attack and Gordon makes no
                  mention of him, the orders, or the belated attack in his account. He
                  does, however, describe the fighting (from the road) and goes into
                  detail about his wounding and being carried off on a stretcher. I
                  think he would have noted the attack if he was still there when that
                  happened.

                  Furthermore, it makes good sense that the 6 Ala would become less
                  responsive in the time after the wounding (especially if it had just
                  happened) and that fits into the narrative of events very well. But
                  is conjecture.

                  > Interestingly enough, though, he does state that Tew received his
                  > mortal wounding fairly early on...which would seem to
                  > indicate....if true... that G B Anderson also receives his mortal
                  > wound in the ankle very early in the action...perhaps right after
                  > returning from going to D H Hill to ask for reinforcements,
                  > spurring the latter office to go to Lee and Longstreet and
                  > thereby sparking the famous horse incident?

                  I'm thinking the "horse" thing happened earlier, as part of the tour
                  Lee and Longstreet made of the road position right before the attack
                  hit (the one that ended with Gordon announcing he would hold the
                  position until the sun went down). I'd wager it happened just before
                  the two of them made it to the division, Hill would have ridden back
                  to the Hagerstown Pike to greet the approaching army command just
                  south of the position... and all of that seemed reasonably relaxed,
                  which would not be the case if Hill rode back to Lee frantically
                  looking for reinforcements as would be the case after the attack began.

                  Dean