Re: Hamburg Passes?

    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 2 5:54 AM
      Brian,

      Thank you for your efforts. We have no snow here in Morgan County WV
      so far today (Monday 3/2) but it is very cold--16 this morning and
      windy--forecast for later in the week is much better.

      That is likely the cross road. I have a copy of a mid 1800's map
      showing the village and that there was a road along the top of the
      Catoctin Mountains probably now the Gambrill Park Rd. The map does
      not show a road or roads west towards Orr's Gap (Ripley's Hamburg
      Pass). Then, as now, looks like a traveller going west would take
      roundabout roads to Myersville then the road to Hagerstown thru Orr's
      Gap where today I70 and Rt 40 pass. All this makes it difficult to
      understand how Ripley named the gap in S. Mountain "Hamburg Pass."

      Another reference I found by Louis O'Donoghue says that "Hamburg is a
      village, located 2.5 miles northeast of Harmony on top of Catoctin
      Mountain at an elevation of 1610' possibly named for the Hamburg
      family who lived in Frederick County about 1800. It was considered a
      ghost town as it was never platted; foundations can still be found."
      If you find the ruins of the Hamburg fire-tower perhaps the
      foundations of some homes are nearby.

      Larry

      --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "Brian Richardson"
      <BrianSRich@...> wrote:

      > Larry -
      >
      > There is a Hamburg Road that intersects Gambrill Park Road about 4
      > miles north of Route 40 in the Catoctin range. Is that the
      crossroads
      > that Paula Strain refers to? Hamburg Road runs generally southeast
      > from there and joins Yellow Springs Road northwest of Frederick.
      > There isn't a direct route from the Hamburg Road/Gambrill Park Road
      > intersection to Hamburg Pass on South Mountain today. Weather
      > permitting I'll go poke around there in the next day or two and let
      > you know if I find anything.
      >
      > Best regards,
      >
      > Brian Richardson

      > <eighth_conn_inf@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Tom,
      > >
      > > Thank you for your insight. I know that since you worked with Dr.
      > > Harsh that you likely knew about this relatively minor point.
      > >
      > > Perhaps someone at the Frederick County HS or Washington County
      > might
      > > be able to point me to something.
      > >
      > > In Paula M. Strain's "The Blue Hills of Maryland" she mentions
      > > Hamburg as "a ghost town on top of Catoctin Mountain near
      Gambrill