Re: Hamburg Passes?

    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 2, 2009
      Stephen,

      Thank you for your efforts. From what you found, looks like the gap 3
      miles north of Turner's Gap was called Orr's Gap which became Hamburg
      Pass thanks to Ripley et all during the CW. "Braddock's Gap" may
      have, over the years, referred to more than one gap?

      > I don't really have time to get my head around all of this right
      now,
      > but will give you a taste.
      >
      > Page 135: "A map, dated April 5, 1791, of the Road from
      Elizabethtown
      > to Newcomber's Mill and Frederick County Line is in the Maryland
      > Archives. This map identifies Orr's gap as Braddock's Gap. Conrad
      > Hogmire, Daniel Winder and an unknown individual signed the map. It
      > show's John Orr's house about one mile northwest of the gap in
      South
      > Mountain. Stull's appears near a bridge, about one mile from the
      market
      > House in Elizabethtown [Hagerstown]. The map includes the courses
      of
      > the route similar to a land tract record. However, these
      measurements
      > are difficult to read.
      >
      > The 1794 Dennis Griffith Map of Maryland shows a road from
      Boonsboro
      > towards South Mountain and the are of Turner's Gap. The map shows a
      > location entitled Orrs just northwest of the gap in the mountain.
      It
      > seems probable a traveler from Frederick Town to Conococheague
      > [Williamsport] passing through Orr's Gap would pass through the
      area
      > that became Hagerstown.
      >
      > The Varle Map of 1808 show's Braddock's Gap on the old Hagerstown
      Road
      > from Frederick Town. This gap is also known as Orr's Gap."
      >
      > These are snippets.
      >
      > What I learned from this book is that, heading west on Alt40, just
      > before South Mountain, the Civil War roads turn left and right at
      > Bolivar Road and Mt. Tabor Road, respectively. The earlier roads
      left
      > alt40 about a mile east of that spot, at Marker Road (the original
      > route to Fox's gap) and the Old Hagerstown Road (to the right).
      Pull up

      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 2, 2009
        Brian,

        Thank you for your efforts. We have no snow here in Morgan County WV
        so far today (Monday 3/2) but it is very cold--16 this morning and
        windy--forecast for later in the week is much better.

        That is likely the cross road. I have a copy of a mid 1800's map
        showing the village and that there was a road along the top of the
        Catoctin Mountains probably now the Gambrill Park Rd. The map does
        not show a road or roads west towards Orr's Gap (Ripley's Hamburg
        Pass). Then, as now, looks like a traveller going west would take
        roundabout roads to Myersville then the road to Hagerstown thru Orr's
        Gap where today I70 and Rt 40 pass. All this makes it difficult to
        understand how Ripley named the gap in S. Mountain "Hamburg Pass."

        Another reference I found by Louis O'Donoghue says that "Hamburg is a
        village, located 2.5 miles northeast of Harmony on top of Catoctin
        Mountain at an elevation of 1610' possibly named for the Hamburg
        family who lived in Frederick County about 1800. It was considered a
        ghost town as it was never platted; foundations can still be found."
        If you find the ruins of the Hamburg fire-tower perhaps the
        foundations of some homes are nearby.

        Larry

        --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "Brian Richardson"
        <BrianSRich@...> wrote:

        > Larry -
        >
        > There is a Hamburg Road that intersects Gambrill Park Road about 4
        > miles north of Route 40 in the Catoctin range. Is that the
        crossroads
        > that Paula Strain refers to? Hamburg Road runs generally southeast
        > from there and joins Yellow Springs Road northwest of Frederick.
        > There isn't a direct route from the Hamburg Road/Gambrill Park Road
        > intersection to Hamburg Pass on South Mountain today. Weather
        > permitting I'll go poke around there in the next day or two and let
        > you know if I find anything.
        >
        > Best regards,
        >
        > Brian Richardson

        > <eighth_conn_inf@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Tom,
        > >
        > > Thank you for your insight. I know that since you worked with Dr.
        > > Harsh that you likely knew about this relatively minor point.
        > >
        > > Perhaps someone at the Frederick County HS or Washington County
        > might
        > > be able to point me to something.
        > >
        > > In Paula M. Strain's "The Blue Hills of Maryland" she mentions
        > > Hamburg as "a ghost town on top of Catoctin Mountain near
        Gambrill