Re: Hamburg Passes?

    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 1, 2009
      Stephen,

      Thanks for the tip! When I was in the bookstore last week, I don't
      remember seeing it but I just ordered it from Abe Books.

      Larry

      > --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, Stephen Recker <recker@>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > The best source I have seen for the back-story on South Mountain
      > names
      > > is Curtis Older's "The Braddock Expedition and Fox's Gap in
      > Maryland."
      > > I have only found two for sale anywhere, and they were in the
      > Frederick
      > > County HS book store. I bought one and there was one more left.
      > Amazing
      > > book. He mentions Hamburg Pass, mostly when referencing D.H.
      Hill.
      > But
      > > he puts it in a context that may shed some light. He also
      mentions
      > > Orr's Gap and John Orr.
      > >
      > > Stephen
      > >

      > > On Sunday, March 1, 2009, at 12:29 PM, eighth_conn_inf wrote:
      > >
      > > > Tom,
      > > >
      > > > Thank you for your insight. I know that since you worked with
      Dr.
      > > > Harsh that you likely knew about this relatively minor point.
      > > >
      > > > Perhaps someone at the Frederick County HS or Washington County
      > might
      > > > be able to point me to something.
      > > >
      > > > In Paula M. Strain's "The Blue Hills of Maryland" she mentions
      > > > Hamburg as "a ghost town on top of Catoctin Mountain near
      Gambrill

      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 1, 2009
        It sounds like you've found the most logical explanation so far. Good job! I may "borrow" this for a footnote I am working on right now.
        Thanks.

        >>> "eighth_conn_inf" <eighth_conn_inf@...> 03/01/09 12:29 PM >>>
        Tom,

        Thank you for your insight. I know that since you worked with Dr.
        Harsh that you likely knew about this relatively minor point.

        Perhaps someone at the Frederick County HS or Washington County might
        be able to point me to something.

        In Paula M. Strain's "The Blue Hills of Maryland" she mentions
        Hamburg as "a ghost town on top of Catoctin Mountain near Gambrill
        State Park. It was never plotted officially but, at late as 1892,
        several houses stood near the crossroads. Even earlier, there was a
        tavern there. Now only the ruins of the Hamburg fire-tower mark the
        village," 272.

        She also writes about the Hagerstown-Frederick trolley which ran thru
        Myersville then thru S. Mountain at "Orr's Gap" then to what was then
        called Smoketown (now Mt. Lena), 204.

        She discusses Orr's Gap at some length (201-203) positing that this
        gap, three miles north Turner's Gap, through a sag between Bartman's
        Hill and Pine Knob, has been known by three names in the last 250
        years: Orr's Gap, Hamburg Pass, and Trolley-Line Gap. She believes
        that the Orr's Gap name faded by the time of the CW so the pass was
        unnamed (by D. H. Hill) or incorrectly named "Hamburg Pass" by
        Ripley. But she implies that that name stuck since no one disputed
        it. "Ripley's assignment of the name of a village ten miles east on
        Catoctin Mountain to little Orr's Gap, has led a number of Civil War
        historians unfamiliar with Maryland to repeat his mistake, making
        Hamburg Pass the second name Orr's has been called," 201-202.

        She could not find any reason for the name "Orr" in land records,
        etc., so she says that is likely why the name faded. As we know, the
        names of places by CW troops unfamiliar with the area can be
        misleading and almost certainly by spelling. Perhaps here, Ripley
        talked to a civilian or a soldier familiar with the area and was told
        that the road thru the gap leads to Hamburg so for identification, he
        simply called it Hamburg Pass.

        Based on her research, I will call it "Orr's Gap" with, of course, a
        footnote re Harsh, Ripley, Carman, and that the road thru there also
        led to Hamburg, among other places east.

        > Hi Larry,
        > I am aware of the dual usage of Hamburg pass. I cannot say that I
        have anything concrete on the supposition I am about to state, but it
        was the thinking of Joe Harsh when he wrote the book and does make a
        sort of sense. I think the pass in South Mt. is called Hamburg pass
        because it leads to the town of Hamburg, even though it is across the
        valley and on top of Catoctin Mt. It makes sense and if we think
        about it Brownsville Pass leads across South Mt. to Brownsville; the
        town is not on top of the gap. And yes, it is my understanding that
        it is the gap where I-70 and "new" 40 run across the mountain. I
        think in the Battlefield Board letters another trooper mentions
        crossing South Mt. at Hamburg Pass, but I don't havethat in front of
        me right now. I can look it up if you need it.
        > You're doing good work, and I look forward to seeing it in print
        sometime soon.

        > Thomas G. Clemens D.A.

        > Hamburg was a village in Maryland north of Frederick on top of the
        > Catoctin Mountains through which a road ran. ("OR Atlas" 27, 1)
        > Carman on p. 175 says that Hamburg Pass is there while Harsh (and
        > Ripley) say it is about three miles north of Turner's Pass through
        > South Mountain.
        >
        > One officer in the 9th Virginia Cavalry, one of F. Lee's regiments,
        > commented that "Hamburg was a rude and scattering village on the
        > crest of the mountain, where the manufacture of brandy seemed to be
        > the chief employment of the villagers, and at the early hour of our
        > passage through the place, both the men and women gave proof that
        > they were free imbibers of the product of their stills. It was not
        > easy to find a sober inhabitant of either sex," Beale, "A
        Lieutenant
        > Of Cavalry in Lee's Army."
        >
        > Harsh discussed Hamburg Pass, "Flood," 248, 257. Did Harsh (or
        > Carman) confuse the Hamburg Pass in the Catoctin Mountains for a
        pass
        > in South Mountain. See Brig. Gen. Ripley's report using "Hamburg
        > Pass" for the pass north of Boonsboro in South Mountain: "OR," vol.
        > 19, pt. 1, 1031.
        >
        > What seems to be certain that there was then (just a few
        foundations
        > remain) a place called Hamburg on Catoctin Mountain through which a
        > road traversed the mountain. It is also certain that there was a
        pass
        > some three miles north of Turner's Gap. Was Ripley and therefore
        > Harsh using Ripley confused or was Carman wrong? Or did a road then
        > run from Hamburg thru the pass in S. Mountain. It is possible that
        > both passes had the same name but that seems very unlikely.
        >
        > Is the pass in S. Mountain three miles north of Turner's Gap the
        one
        > through which Rt. 40 and I70 are located? Is this pass where the
        old
        > stage road from Frederick to Hagerstown passed? IIRC Tom Clemens
        > mentioned this. I assume that Fitz Lee's troopers used the pass in
        S.

        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 1, 2009
          Stephen,

          I know you don't want to keep Tom and I in suspense so is Hamburg
          Pass only at the town of Hamburg and Orr's Gap the one 3 miles north
          of Turner's Gap in South Mountain?

          > The best source I have seen for the back-story on South Mountain
          names
          > is Curtis Older's "The Braddock Expedition and Fox's Gap in
          Maryland."
          > I have only found two for sale anywhere, and they were in the
          Frederick
          > County HS book store. I bought one and there was one more left.
          Amazing
          > book. He mentions Hamburg Pass, mostly when referencing D.H. Hill.
          But
          > he puts it in a context that may shed some light. He also mentions
          > Orr's Gap and John Orr.
          >
          > Stephen
          >

          > On Sunday, March 1, 2009, at 12:29 PM, eighth_conn_inf wrote:
          >
          > > Tom,
          > >
          > > Thank you for your insight. I know that since you worked with Dr.
          > > Harsh that you likely knew about this relatively minor point.
          > >
          > > Perhaps someone at the Frederick County HS or Washington County
          might
          > > be able to point me to something.
          > >
          > > In Paula M. Strain's "The Blue Hills of Maryland" she mentions
          > > Hamburg as "a ghost town on top of Catoctin Mountain near Gambrill
          > > State Park. It was never plotted officially but, at late as 1892,
          > > several houses stood near the crossroads. Even earlier, there was
          > > tavern there. Now only the ruins of the Hamburg fire-tower mark
          the
          > > village,"

        • Brian Richardson
          Message 4 of 12 , Mar 1, 2009
            Larry -

            There is a Hamburg Road that intersects Gambrill Park Road about 4
            miles north of Route 40 in the Catoctin range. Is that the crossroads
            that Paula Strain refers to? Hamburg Road runs generally southeast
            from there and joins Yellow Springs Road northwest of Frederick.
            There isn't a direct route from the Hamburg Road/Gambrill Park Road
            intersection to Hamburg Pass on South Mountain today. Weather
            permitting I'll go poke around there in the next day or two and let
            you know if I find anything.

            Best regards,

            Brian Richardson

            Message 5 of 12 , Mar 2, 2009
              I don't really have time to get my head around all of this right now,
              but will give you a taste.

              Page 135: "A map, dated April 5, 1791, of the Road from Elizabethtown
              to Newcomber's Mill and Frederick County Line is in the Maryland
              Archives. This map identifies Orr's gap as Braddock's Gap. Conrad
              Hogmire, Daniel Winder and an unknown individual signed the map. It
              show's John Orr's house about one mile northwest of the gap in South
              Mountain. Stull's appears near a bridge, about one mile from the market
              House in Elizabethtown [Hagerstown]. The map includes the courses of
              the route similar to a land tract record. However, these measurements
              are difficult to read.

              The 1794 Dennis Griffith Map of Maryland shows a road from Boonsboro
              towards South Mountain and the are of Turner's Gap. The map shows a
              location entitled Orrs just northwest of the gap in the mountain. It
              seems probable a traveler from Frederick Town to Conococheague
              [Williamsport] passing through Orr's Gap would pass through the area
              that became Hagerstown.

              The Varle Map of 1808 show's Braddock's Gap on the old Hagerstown Road
              from Frederick Town. This gap is also known as Orr's Gap."

              These are snippets.

              What I learned from this book is that, heading west on Alt40, just
              before South Mountain, the Civil War roads turn left and right at
              Bolivar Road and Mt. Tabor Road, respectively. The earlier roads left
              alt40 about a mile east of that spot, at Marker Road (the original
              route to Fox's gap) and the Old Hagerstown Road (to the right). Pull up
              Google and you can see all of these roads.

              Stephen

              Message 6 of 12 , Mar 2, 2009
                Stephen,

                Thank you for your efforts. From what you found, looks like the gap 3
                miles north of Turner's Gap was called Orr's Gap which became Hamburg
                Pass thanks to Ripley et all during the CW. "Braddock's Gap" may
                have, over the years, referred to more than one gap?

                Message 7 of 12 , Mar 2, 2009
                  Brian,

                  Thank you for your efforts. We have no snow here in Morgan County WV
                  so far today (Monday 3/2) but it is very cold--16 this morning and
                  windy--forecast for later in the week is much better.

                  That is likely the cross road. I have a copy of a mid 1800's map
                  showing the village and that there was a road along the top of the
                  Catoctin Mountains probably now the Gambrill Park Rd. The map does
                  not show a road or roads west towards Orr's Gap (Ripley's Hamburg
                  Pass). Then, as now, looks like a traveller going west would take
                  roundabout roads to Myersville then the road to Hagerstown thru Orr's
                  Gap where today I70 and Rt 40 pass. All this makes it difficult to
                  understand how Ripley named the gap in S. Mountain "Hamburg Pass."

                  Another reference I found by Louis O'Donoghue says that "Hamburg is a
                  village, located 2.5 miles northeast of Harmony on top of Catoctin
                  Mountain at an elevation of 1610' possibly named for the Hamburg
                  family who lived in Frederick County about 1800. It was considered a
                  ghost town as it was never platted; foundations can still be found."
                  If you find the ruins of the Hamburg fire-tower perhaps the
                  foundations of some homes are nearby.

                  Larry

                  --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "Brian Richardson"