RE: [TalkAntietam] Joseph L. Harsh's Books

  • Jeff Beckner (PWC Magazine)
    Message 1 of 14 , Mar 12 6:31 AM
      Now hang on a minute....

      -----Original Message-----
      From: NJ Rebel [mailto:gerry1952@...]
      Sent: Monday, March 11, 2002 10:58 PM
      To: TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [TalkAntietam] Joseph L. Harsh's Books

      James,

      Actually Harsh really does not talk about Mac that much in both
      books. He focuses on Lee.

      But Harsh is not really a fan of Mac either..... but he will do a
      better job with Mac in his next books then Stephen Sears does....

      Your humble servant,
      Gerry Mayers
      Co. B, "Tom Green Rifles",

      Edward Lee

      Message 2 of 14 , Mar 12 4:46 PM
        Jeff,

        What I was trying to point out was that Joe Harsh was going to be
        a fair examiner of Little Mac, unlike Sears who makes no bones
        about his virulent dislike of the man.

        If you have read his works on Lee and the Maryland Campaign, you
        will know that Harsh commends Lee when and where the situation
        calls for it and damns Lee when the situation calls for it. That
        is what I call fairness.....

        Your humble servant,
        Gerry Mayers
        Co. B, "Tom Green Rifles",

        Edward Lee

        > Actually Harsh really does not talk about Mac that much in both
        > books. He focuses on Lee.
        >
        > But Harsh is not really a fan of Mac either..... but he will do
        > better job with Mac in his next books then Stephen Sears
        does....

        > Your humble servant,
        > Gerry Mayers
        > Co. B, "Tom Green Rifles",

        > Edward Lee

      • TR Livesey
        Message 3 of 14 , Mar 12 5:28 PM

          I would say that if we gave Sears the benefit of the
          doubt, he examined Mac's leadership ability and concluded
          that he wasn't up to the task.

          What is fresh and original about Harsh's work, is that he
          examines actions and reactions of his subject based on what
          that person knew at the time. This is where Sears is lacking.
          While we all can examine the strategic and tactical situations
          with 20/20 hindsight, Lee and Mac could base their decisions
          on what they knew at that moment, which naturally can be rather
          limited. While Harsh very carefully isolates what Lee knew
          from what we all know now in order to make his analysis of
          Lee, Sears makes no attempt to do so (for Lee or Mac); everything
          that has been learned and discovered in the last 140 years can
          and will be held against you, in Sears's analysis.

          Regards,
          TR Livesey
          tlivesey@...

          NJ Rebel wrote:

          > Jeff,
          >
          > What I was trying to point out was that Joe Harsh was going to be
          > a fair examiner of Little Mac, unlike Sears who makes no bones
          > about his virulent dislike of the man.
          >
          > If you have read his works on Lee and the Maryland Campaign, you
          > will know that Harsh commends Lee when and where the situation
          > calls for it and damns Lee when the situation calls for it. That
          > is what I call fairness.....
          >
          > Your humble servant,
          > Gerry Mayers
          > Co. B, "Tom Green Rifles",

          > Edward Lee

        • james2044
          Message 4 of 14 , Mar 13 6:43 PM
            Having 1st read Sears, the Harsh books showed me where and why
            McCellan's decisions were logical and given what he knew, most often
            correct. His look at the lost order, the overall battle plan and the
            information given showed a different General than I'ld seen.

            Yes, Lee is the major part of the book but his handling of McCellan
            is interesting.
            Message 5 of 14 , Mar 13 6:57 PM
              Todd;

              Good points! Sears might, I have to agree, if he approached Mac
              the way Harsh will, indeed conclude Mac was not up to the overall
              task at hand. However, Joe Harsh is more than willing to let the
              knowledge of what his subject knew at the time guide how he
              (Harsh) writes about his subject. Sears lets all the accumulated
              baggage of the last nearly 150 years influence what he wants to
              write.... a temptingly easy thing to do. In my book Harsh is the
              better historian due to his pains to accurately seek out sources
              that indicate what Lee knew and when did he know it as opposed to
              the Monday morning QB we have all become so used to....

              Your humble servant,
              Gerry Mayers
              Co. B, "Tom Green Rifles",

              Edward Lee

              > I would say that if we gave Sears the benefit of the
              > doubt, he examined Mac's leadership ability and concluded
              > that he wasn't up to the task.
              >
              > What is fresh and original about Harsh's work, is that he
              > examines actions and reactions of his subject based on what
              > that person knew at the time. This is where Sears is lacking.
              > While we all can examine the strategic and tactical situations
              > with 20/20 hindsight, Lee and Mac could base their decisions
              > on what they knew at that moment, which naturally can be rather
              > limited. While Harsh very carefully isolates what Lee knew
              > from what we all know now in order to make his analysis of
              > Lee, Sears makes no attempt to do so (for Lee or Mac);
              everything
              > that has been learned and discovered in the last 140 years can
              > and will be held against you, in Sears's analysis.
              >
              > Regards,
              > TR Livesey
              > tlivesey@...
              >
              > NJ Rebel wrote:
              > >
              > > Jeff,
              > >
              > > What I was trying to point out was that Joe Harsh was going
              to be
              > > a fair examiner of Little Mac, unlike Sears who makes no
              bones
              > > about his virulent dislike of the man.
              > >
              > > If you have read his works on Lee and the Maryland Campaign,
              you
              > > will know that Harsh commends Lee when and where the
              situation
              > > calls for it and damns Lee when the situation calls for it.
              That
              > > is what I call fairness.....
              > >
              > > Your humble servant,
              > > Gerry Mayers
              > > Co. B, "Tom Green Rifles",
              > > Fourth Regiment, Texas Volunteer Infantry
              > >
              > > A Proud American by Birth, Southern by Choice!
              > >
              > > "I know of no fitter resting-place for a soldier than the
              field
              > > on which he has nobly laid down his life." --General
              Robert
              > > Edward Lee

            • tony
              Message 6 of 14 , Mar 14 8:38 AM
                Gerry, Tom, et. al...

                Pardon my aging memory, but when is Dr. Harsh's anticipated publication date
                for his next book on the battle, taken as I understand it from McClellan's
                viewpoint?

                Some questions I hope he gets into:

                1. Who of Mac's direct reports -- if any -- had his ear?
                2. What discussions did Mac have with his subordinates that have not
                appeared in previous books about the battle?
                3. What were Mac's expressed expectations of the many spanking, new (green)
                regiments the AoP had just acquired?
                4. What, if anything, might Mac have said about Lee, Jackson and
                Longstreet -- their military mentalities and abilities -- before the battle?
                5. What did he write or say after the battle about the apparent failure of
                the AoP to execute a coordinated attack as originally planned?

                Tom, if you can answer these yourself and Dr. Harsh doesn't, maybe you
                should write the book. :-)

                Tony Turner
                Message 7 of 14 , Mar 14 4:46 PM
                  James;

                  Joe Harsh is working on a series of book that will examine Mac in
                  the same manner in which he examined Lee and the overall
                  Confederate strategy in his books Confederate Tide Rising, Taken
                  at the Flood and Sounding the Shallows.

                  The Mac books should cause many to re-examine their views of this
                  much maligned Union general.

                  Your humble servant,
                  Gerry Mayers
                  Co. B, "Tom Green Rifles",

                  Edward Lee

                  > Having 1st read Sears, the Harsh books showed me where and why
                  > McCellan's decisions were logical and given what he knew, most
                  often
                  > correct. His look at the lost order, the overall battle plan
                  and the
                  > information given showed a different General than I'ld seen.
                  >
                  > Yes, Lee is the major part of the book but his handling of
                  McCellan
                  > is interesting.
                  >

                  > ------------------------ Yahoo! Groups
                  Sponsor ---------------------~-->
                  > Access Your PC from Anywhere
                  > Check Email & Transfer files - Free Download
                  > http://us.click.yahoo.com/NxtVhB/3XkDAA/_ZuFAA/GmiolB/TM
                  http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                • Teej Smith
                  Message 8 of 14 , Mar 14 5:37 PM
                    > James;
                    >
                    > Joe Harsh is working on a series of book that will examine Mac in
                    > the same manner in which he examined Lee and the overall
                    > Confederate strategy in his books Confederate Tide Rising, Taken
                    > at the Flood and Sounding the Shallows.
                    >
                    > The Mac books should cause many to re-examine their views of this
                    > much maligned Union general.

                    Gerry,

                    Are these book or books going to cover more than Antietam? I'd love to
                    hear his take on Mac's behavior on the peninsula (specifically the Seven
                    Days) and whether he deliberately dragged his feet in supporting Pope.

                    Regards,
                    Teej
                    Message 9 of 14 , Mar 14 5:58 PM
                      TJ:

                      While Tom Clemens can, IIRC, shed more light on this, those of us
                      at the ADG III Muster last year who had the esteemed honor of
                      meeting Joe Harsh heard him say that his books on Mac will
                      examine the entire structure of the Union military organization
                      and how Mac became involved with the creation of the AoP. I do
                      believe that since he covered Lee during the Peninsula Campaign
                      in Confederate Tide Rising, he will also cover Mac during that
                      same time period.

                      I for one can hardly wait...... to see what he comes up
                      with........

                      Your humble servant,
                      Gerry Mayers
                      Co. B, "Tom Green Rifles",

                      Edward Lee

                      Sponsor ---------------------~-->

                      Message 10 of 14 , Mar 15 6:15 AM
                        You left out "and justly" between "much" and "maligned!"

                        Message 11 of 14 , Mar 15 7:30 PM
                          Jeff;

                          I stand by my comments. I will reserve the use of the words you
                          have mentioned until such time as I read what Harsh has to say. I
                          do realize that Sears has a very strong bias against Mac; to me
                          that makes what he writes somewhat suspect.

                          No, I am _not_ a Mac fan, but have come to realize there is more
                          to Mac than the usual tar and feather approach employed to
                          describe/discuss/write regarding him.

                          Your humble servant,
                          Gerry Mayers
                          Co. B, "Tom Green Rifles",

                          Edward Lee

                          Sponsor ---------------------~-->
                          > Buy Stock for $4.
                          > No Minimums.
                          > FREE Money 2002.
                          > http://us.click.yahoo.com/BgmYkB/VovDAA/ySSFAA/GmiolB/TM
                          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                        • Tom Clemens
                          Message 12 of 14 , Mar 15 7:44 PM
                            Tony,
                            Joe Harsh is still in the process of writing, so it will be some time yet before
                            anything appears. He is projecting five volumes at this time, subject to change
                            of course. I am sure he will answer all of those questions and more.
                            He relied on a few trusted commanders who, IMHO, let him down, principally
                            Porter and Franklin. He thought a lot of Burnside, at least for a while, and
                            was impressed with Hooker, even though Hooker bad-mouthed him, Mac recommeded
                            him for a promotion.
                            A lot of individual disccussions, but nothing like a preliminary briefing, a
                            critical error that was repeated throughout theCivil War.
                            I don't know, Joe might
                            ditto
                            He thought he won, ie. Lee retreated abandoning wounded etc. Was pleased at
                            fulfilling Lincoln's orders, and proud of his ersatz army.
                            Joe will be far more detailed and eloquent.