Re: MD Heights: The Lookout or Observatory

    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 27, 2009
      As usual, Tom is correct. I recently received the following from the
      Park Service at HF:

      Your note about the "lookout" on Maryland Heights was passed to me. I
      believe that the lookout site was very near the location where the
      100pound parrott gun would later be enplaced I believe that it was
      probably obliterated by the later installation of the gun. That would
      obviously place it to the north or north north east of the six gun
      battery.

      Regards, John King
      Supervisory Park Ranger

      > Right Ian, I agree it is on or near the summitt of the ridge. The
      100 lb Parrott was not there in 1862 and hence they simply called
      that area the Lookout.

      > Thomas G. Clemens D.A.

      > I had always thought that the lookout was where the 100lb Parrott
      battery
      > was. This was below the crest a little south of the fort. There
      were several
      > batteries on that mountain through the years. The park has a few of
      them
      > mapped but most are not. The only reason that I know they were
      there is due
      > to trajectories and lines.
      >
      > Ian
      >
      > On Wed, Feb 18, 2009 at 7:34 PM, RoteBaron <RoteBaron@...> wrote:
      >
      > > Larry,
      > >
      > > Thanks for the info!
      > >
      > > Tom Shay

      Heights?

      > > I am not sure that it is the Naval Battery. Ford mentions the
      Lookout in