Re: [TalkAntietam] Tower soutn of tower?

    Message 1 of 15 , Feb 22, 2009
      Da'ohh. Never mind.

      ;-)

      Stephen

      Message 2 of 15 , Feb 22, 2009
        That's what I thought. When were they taken? Thanks.

        Stephen

        On Sunday, February 22, 2009, at 07:46 PM, Ian Workman wrote:

        > Could it have been taken by a hot air baloon. There were some in the
        > area
        > after the war. There were photos taken around Antietam Iron Works from
        > a hot
        > air baloon.

      • Dave
        Message 3 of 15 , Feb 22, 2009
          Thanks for that article, Larry, and the shavetail story Tom. After
          doing a little looking around, it seems that the only book addressing
          the old army mule is *
          <http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0803267401/ref=ord_cart_shr?%5Fencoding=UTF8&v=glance>*"Shavetails
          and Bell Sharps: The History of the U.S. Army Mule" by Essin (The bell
          sharp was a white or dun mare they used to lead the mules, wearing a
          bell).

          A lot of the literature addresses pack mules, which is not so applicable
          to the ACW. My feeling is that the use of mules for pulling wagons was
          an expedient for the war, and didn't go far beyond that. There is
          fodder here for a book or at least a long article, mules were key to the
          logistics of both armies. The problem was that not many people thought
          about writing about them, because they were as common as Fords.

          I've owned a mule. They can kick in a 360 degree arc with their back
          hooves. I never want another one, green, raw or well done.

          Dave McGowan

          Message 4 of 15 , Feb 22, 2009
            Where is Tom C this semester anyway?

            Too bad there is no weblink Steve to the photo.

            > That's what I thought. When were they taken? Thanks.
            >
            > Stephen
            >
            > On Sunday, February 22, 2009, at 07:46 PM, Ian Workman wrote:
            >
            >> Could it have been taken by a hot air baloon. There were some
            >> in the
            >> area
            >> after the war. There were photos taken around Antietam Iron
            >> Works from
            >> a hot
            >> air baloon.

          • Ian Workman
            Message 5 of 15 , Feb 22, 2009
              As far as I know the photos that were taken from the hot air balloon were
              in the 1880's. Does this sound right. I have also seen familiar ones from
              South Mountain overlooking the valley. Does anyone know who was doing this?

              Ian

              Message 6 of 15 , Feb 23, 2009
                Dave,

                I looked at the book on Amazon and the table of contents shows one
                chapter on the CW. Do you have the book and if so, is the material on
                the CW worth buying it?

                Thank you,

                > Thanks for that article, Larry, and the shavetail story Tom. After
                > doing a little looking around, it seems that the only book
                addressing
                > the old army mule is *
                > <http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-
                /0803267401/ref=ord_cart_shr?%5Fencoding=UTF8&v=glance>*"Shavetails
                > and Bell Sharps: The History of the U.S. Army Mule" by Essin (The
                bell
                > sharp was a white or dun mare they used to lead the mules, wearing
                > bell).
                >
                > A lot of the literature addresses pack mules, which is not so
                applicable
                > to the ACW. My feeling is that the use of mules for pulling wagons
                was
                > an expedient for the war, and didn't go far beyond that. There is
                > fodder here for a book or at least a long article, mules were key
                to the
                > logistics of both armies. The problem was that not many people
                thought
                > about writing about them, because they were as common as Fords.
                >
                > I've owned a mule. They can kick in a 360 degree arc with their
                back
                > hooves. I never want another one, green, raw or well done.
                >
                > Dave McGowan
                >
                > eighth_conn_inf wrote:
                > >
                > > Dave,
                > >
                > > Looks like you are correct that "raw" or "green" means a mule (or
                > > even a soldier) which is untrained. Billings didn't use either of
                > > these is his delightful chapter on mules in his book "Hardtack and
                > > Coffee" but I found the following which mentions "raw mule" a
                couple
                > > of times and comments on training them, from
                > >
                > > "ARMY LIFE; FROM A SOLDIER'S JOURNAL
                > > INCIDENTS, SKETCHES AND RECORD OF A UNION
                > > SOLDIER'S ARMY LIFE, IN CAMP AND FIELD; 1861-64"
                > >

                > > My guess is that, depending on the context, "raw or green mule"
                could
                > > also refer to uncooked mule, probably not a gourmet treat.
                > >
                > > If you find more, please let us know.
                > >
                > > Larry F.
                > >
                > > --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com
                > > <mailto:TalkAntietam%40yahoogroups.com>, Dave <gewehr@> wrote:
                > > >
                > > > Came across the term "raw mule" in the OR. Is this an unbroken
                > > mule?
                > > > Same as a "green mule"?
                > > >
                > > > Anyone know how long it took to make the mule "unraw"? GH Thomas
                > > writes
                > > > that it will take a "long time" on the march to do this.
                > > >
                > > > From the Battle of Mill Springs, not Antietam (but applicable, I
                > > > guess). Thanks for any help.
                > > >
                > > > Dave McGowan

              • Dave
                Message 7 of 15 , Feb 23, 2009
                  Larry, I don't have the book, and I don't think it's worth buying
                  either. The problem is the pack mule coverage of recent vintage, which
                  of course is easier to research and is more time-relevant. My guess is
                  that after going through all the material on mules in the OR, diaries,
                  and other ACW sources, you would have to find a mule guy who actually
                  breaks and trains mules to harness and get the real info from him. I
                  doubt that mules have changed much over the years, but I bet most of
                  that knowledge has been lost.

                  And, does anyone know why the formatting in my posts are so screwed up?

                  Dave