Joseph L. Harsh's Books

  • james2044
    Message 1 of 14 , Mar 11, 2002
      Has anyone read "Confederate Tide Rising" and/or "Taken at the
      Flood"? I've read both and he makes a good case that McCellan did not
      do such a bad job at Antietam. Some of the points made agree with
      ideas I've picked up from reading other accounts of this battle. Any
      comments?

      James
      Message 2 of 14 , Mar 11, 2002
        James,

        Actually Harsh really does not talk about Mac that much in both
        books. He focuses on Lee.

        But Harsh is not really a fan of Mac either..... but he will do a
        better job with Mac in his next books then Stephen Sears does....

        Your humble servant,
        Gerry Mayers
        Co. B, "Tom Green Rifles",

        Edward Lee

        Sponsor ---------------------~-->
        > Access Your PC from Anywhere
        > It's Easy. It's Fast. - Free Download
        > http://us.click.yahoo.com/AxtVhB/6XkDAA/_ZuFAA/GmiolB/TM
        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • Jeff Beckner (PWC Magazine)
        Message 3 of 14 , Mar 12, 2002
          Now hang on a minute....

          Message 4 of 14 , Mar 12, 2002
            Jeff,

            What I was trying to point out was that Joe Harsh was going to be
            a fair examiner of Little Mac, unlike Sears who makes no bones
            about his virulent dislike of the man.

            If you have read his works on Lee and the Maryland Campaign, you
            will know that Harsh commends Lee when and where the situation
            calls for it and damns Lee when the situation calls for it. That
            is what I call fairness.....

            Your humble servant,
            Gerry Mayers
            Co. B, "Tom Green Rifles",

            Edward Lee

            > Actually Harsh really does not talk about Mac that much in both
            > books. He focuses on Lee.
            >
            > But Harsh is not really a fan of Mac either..... but he will do
            > better job with Mac in his next books then Stephen Sears
            does....

            > Your humble servant,
            > Gerry Mayers
            > Co. B, "Tom Green Rifles",

            > Edward Lee

          • TR Livesey
            Message 5 of 14 , Mar 12, 2002

              I would say that if we gave Sears the benefit of the
              doubt, he examined Mac's leadership ability and concluded
              that he wasn't up to the task.

              What is fresh and original about Harsh's work, is that he
              examines actions and reactions of his subject based on what
              that person knew at the time. This is where Sears is lacking.
              While we all can examine the strategic and tactical situations
              with 20/20 hindsight, Lee and Mac could base their decisions
              on what they knew at that moment, which naturally can be rather
              limited. While Harsh very carefully isolates what Lee knew
              from what we all know now in order to make his analysis of
              Lee, Sears makes no attempt to do so (for Lee or Mac); everything
              that has been learned and discovered in the last 140 years can
              and will be held against you, in Sears's analysis.

              Regards,
              TR Livesey
              tlivesey@...

              Message 6 of 14 , Mar 13, 2002
                Having 1st read Sears, the Harsh books showed me where and why
                McCellan's decisions were logical and given what he knew, most often
                correct. His look at the lost order, the overall battle plan and the
                information given showed a different General than I'ld seen.

                Yes, Lee is the major part of the book but his handling of McCellan
                is interesting.
                Message 7 of 14 , Mar 13, 2002
                  Todd;

                  Good points! Sears might, I have to agree, if he approached Mac
                  the way Harsh will, indeed conclude Mac was not up to the overall
                  task at hand. However, Joe Harsh is more than willing to let the
                  knowledge of what his subject knew at the time guide how he
                  (Harsh) writes about his subject. Sears lets all the accumulated
                  baggage of the last nearly 150 years influence what he wants to
                  write.... a temptingly easy thing to do. In my book Harsh is the
                  better historian due to his pains to accurately seek out sources
                  that indicate what Lee knew and when did he know it as opposed to
                  the Monday morning QB we have all become so used to....

                  Your humble servant,
                  Gerry Mayers
                  Co. B, "Tom Green Rifles",

                  Edward Lee

                  > I would say that if we gave Sears the benefit of the
                  > doubt, he examined Mac's leadership ability and concluded
                  > that he wasn't up to the task.
                  >
                  > What is fresh and original about Harsh's work, is that he
                  > examines actions and reactions of his subject based on what
                  > that person knew at the time. This is where Sears is lacking.
                  > While we all can examine the strategic and tactical situations
                  > with 20/20 hindsight, Lee and Mac could base their decisions
                  > on what they knew at that moment, which naturally can be rather
                  > limited. While Harsh very carefully isolates what Lee knew
                  > from what we all know now in order to make his analysis of
                  > Lee, Sears makes no attempt to do so (for Lee or Mac);
                  everything
                  > that has been learned and discovered in the last 140 years can
                  > and will be held against you, in Sears's analysis.
                  >
                  > Regards,
                  > TR Livesey
                  > tlivesey@...
                  >
                  > NJ Rebel wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Jeff,
                  > >
                  > > What I was trying to point out was that Joe Harsh was going
                  to be
                  > > a fair examiner of Little Mac, unlike Sears who makes no
                  bones
                  > > about his virulent dislike of the man.
                  > >
                  > > If you have read his works on Lee and the Maryland Campaign,
                  you
                  > > will know that Harsh commends Lee when and where the
                  situation
                  > > calls for it and damns Lee when the situation calls for it.
                  That
                  > > is what I call fairness.....
                  > >
                  > > Your humble servant,
                  > > Gerry Mayers
                  > > Co. B, "Tom Green Rifles",
                  > > Fourth Regiment, Texas Volunteer Infantry
                  > >
                  > > A Proud American by Birth, Southern by Choice!
                  > >
                  > > "I know of no fitter resting-place for a soldier than the
                  field
                  > > on which he has nobly laid down his life." --General
                  Robert
                  > > Edward Lee

                • tony
                  Message 8 of 14 , Mar 14, 2002
                    Gerry, Tom, et. al...

                    Pardon my aging memory, but when is Dr. Harsh's anticipated publication date
                    for his next book on the battle, taken as I understand it from McClellan's
                    viewpoint?

                    Some questions I hope he gets into:

                    1. Who of Mac's direct reports -- if any -- had his ear?
                    2. What discussions did Mac have with his subordinates that have not
                    appeared in previous books about the battle?
                    3. What were Mac's expressed expectations of the many spanking, new (green)
                    regiments the AoP had just acquired?
                    4. What, if anything, might Mac have said about Lee, Jackson and
                    Longstreet -- their military mentalities and abilities -- before the battle?
                    5. What did he write or say after the battle about the apparent failure of
                    the AoP to execute a coordinated attack as originally planned?

                    Tom, if you can answer these yourself and Dr. Harsh doesn't, maybe you
                    should write the book. :-)

                    Tony Turner
                    Message 9 of 14 , Mar 14, 2002
                      James;

                      Joe Harsh is working on a series of book that will examine Mac in
                      the same manner in which he examined Lee and the overall
                      Confederate strategy in his books Confederate Tide Rising, Taken
                      at the Flood and Sounding the Shallows.

                      The Mac books should cause many to re-examine their views of this
                      much maligned Union general.

                      Your humble servant,
                      Gerry Mayers
                      Co. B, "Tom Green Rifles",

                      Edward Lee

                      > Having 1st read Sears, the Harsh books showed me where and why
                      > McCellan's decisions were logical and given what he knew, most
                      often
                      > correct. His look at the lost order, the overall battle plan
                      and the
                      > information given showed a different General than I'ld seen.
                      >
                      > Yes, Lee is the major part of the book but his handling of
                      McCellan
                      > is interesting.
                      >

                      > ------------------------ Yahoo! Groups
                      Sponsor ---------------------~-->
                      > Access Your PC from Anywhere
                      > Check Email & Transfer files - Free Download
                      > http://us.click.yahoo.com/NxtVhB/3XkDAA/_ZuFAA/GmiolB/TM
                      http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                    • Teej Smith
                      Message 10 of 14 , Mar 14, 2002
                        > James;
                        >
                        > Joe Harsh is working on a series of book that will examine Mac in
                        > the same manner in which he examined Lee and the overall
                        > Confederate strategy in his books Confederate Tide Rising, Taken
                        > at the Flood and Sounding the Shallows.
                        >
                        > The Mac books should cause many to re-examine their views of this
                        > much maligned Union general.

                        Gerry,

                        Are these book or books going to cover more than Antietam? I'd love to
                        hear his take on Mac's behavior on the peninsula (specifically the Seven
                        Days) and whether he deliberately dragged his feet in supporting Pope.

                        Regards,
                        Teej
                        Message 11 of 14 , Mar 14, 2002
                          TJ:

                          While Tom Clemens can, IIRC, shed more light on this, those of us
                          at the ADG III Muster last year who had the esteemed honor of
                          meeting Joe Harsh heard him say that his books on Mac will
                          examine the entire structure of the Union military organization
                          and how Mac became involved with the creation of the AoP. I do
                          believe that since he covered Lee during the Peninsula Campaign
                          in Confederate Tide Rising, he will also cover Mac during that
                          same time period.

                          I for one can hardly wait...... to see what he comes up
                          with........

                          Your humble servant,
                          Gerry Mayers
                          Co. B, "Tom Green Rifles",

                          Edward Lee

                          Sponsor ---------------------~-->

                          Message 12 of 14 , Mar 15, 2002
                            You left out "and justly" between "much" and "maligned!"

                            Message 13 of 14 , Mar 15, 2002
                              Jeff;

                              I stand by my comments. I will reserve the use of the words you
                              have mentioned until such time as I read what Harsh has to say. I
                              do realize that Sears has a very strong bias against Mac; to me
                              that makes what he writes somewhat suspect.

                              No, I am _not_ a Mac fan, but have come to realize there is more
                              to Mac than the usual tar and feather approach employed to
                              describe/discuss/write regarding him.

                              Your humble servant,
                              Gerry Mayers
                              Co. B, "Tom Green Rifles",

                              Edward Lee

                              Sponsor ---------------------~-->
                              > Buy Stock for $4.
                              > No Minimums.
                              > FREE Money 2002.
                              > http://us.click.yahoo.com/BgmYkB/VovDAA/ySSFAA/GmiolB/TM
                              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                            • Tom Clemens
                              Message 14 of 14 , Mar 15, 2002
                                Tony,
                                Joe Harsh is still in the process of writing, so it will be some time yet before
                                anything appears. He is projecting five volumes at this time, subject to change
                                of course. I am sure he will answer all of those questions and more.
                                He relied on a few trusted commanders who, IMHO, let him down, principally
                                Porter and Franklin. He thought a lot of Burnside, at least for a while, and
                                was impressed with Hooker, even though Hooker bad-mouthed him, Mac recommeded
                                him for a promotion.
                                A lot of individual disccussions, but nothing like a preliminary briefing, a
                                critical error that was repeated throughout theCivil War.
                                I don't know, Joe might
                                ditto
                                He thought he won, ie. Lee retreated abandoning wounded etc. Was pleased at
                                fulfilling Lincoln's orders, and proud of his ersatz army.
                                Joe will be far more detailed and eloquent.