Broom Corn?

  • RoteBaron
    Message 1 of 14 , Feb 20, 2009
      In regard to The Cornfield, Carman's manuscript states that "the south edge of the corn was skirted by a row of broom corn". Anyone know what broom corn is? Was it usually planted (for some reason) on edges of a cornfield?

    • GenHickox@aol.com
      Message 2 of 14 , Feb 20, 2009
        It's corn harvested to make brooms. I imagine it was planted separately so
        as not to confuse it with "food" corn. It might have made sense to plant broom
        corn on the edge of a field, thereby keeping foragers away from the edible
        corn.

        **************Need a job? Find an employment agency near you.
        (http://yellowpages.aol.com/search?query=employment_agencies&ncid=emlcntusyelp00000003)

        Message 3 of 14 , Feb 20, 2009
          Well, that makes sense to me... wonder whether the "broom corn"
          looked any different than "food corn"?

          > It's corn harvested to make brooms. I imagine it was planted
          > separately so
          > as not to confuse it with "food" corn. It might have made sense
          > to plant broom
          > corn on the edge of a field, thereby keeping foragers away from
          > the edible
          > corn.
          >

          > In a message dated 2/20/2009 10:05:56 P.M. Eastern Standard
          > Time,
          > RoteBaron@... writes:
          >

          > In regard to The Cornfield, Carman's manuscript states that
          > "the south edge
          > of the corn was skirted by a row of broom corn". Anyone know
          > what broom corn
          > is? Was it usually planted (for some reason) on edges of a
          > cornfield?
          >
          > Tom Shay

          > **************Need a job? Find an employment agency near you.
          > (http://yellowpages.aol.com/search?query=employment_agencies&ncid=emlcntusyelp00000003)

        • Teej Smith
          Message 4 of 14 , Feb 20, 2009
            Tom Shay wrote:

            In regard to The Cornfield, Carman's manuscript states that "the south edge of the corn was skirted by a row of broom corn". Anyone know what broom corn is? Was it usually planted (for some reason) on edges of a cornfield?

            A little online checking shows that broom corn isn't corn at all but a member of the sorghum family and as the other poster mentioned, used to make brooms. One of the farm and garden sites stated it grows best in full sunlight so I'm wondering if it were put on the edge of the field to get maximum sun exposure?

            Regards,
            Teej

            Message 5 of 14 , Feb 20, 2009
              That's funny. When I was a kid I remember seeing a new broom wrapped in
              plastic. It said "made from the finest broom corn" and showed a picture of an ear
              of corn! Evidently the advertiser hadn't done his research.

              Message 6 of 14 , Feb 20, 2009
                Teej,

                I recollect reading something somewhere about the use of broom
                sedge in the making of brooms... could this be the relative of
                the sorghum family?

                > In regard to The Cornfield, Carman's manuscript states that
                > "the south edge of the corn was skirted by a row of broom
                > corn". Anyone know what broom corn is? Was it usually planted
                > (for some reason) on edges of a cornfield?
                >
                > A little online checking shows that broom corn isn't corn
                > at all but a member of the sorghum family and as the other
                > poster mentioned, used to make brooms. One of the farm and
                > garden sites stated it grows best in full sunlight so I'm
                > wondering if it were put on the edge of the field to get
                > maximum sun exposure?
                >
                > Regards,
                > Teej

              • Harry Smeltzer
                Message 7 of 14 , Feb 20, 2009
                  In reading through one of the Supplements to H. L. Mencken's "The American Language" recently I learned that, at least up to the time of Mencken, "corn" in England was basically any grain, as opposed to maize. Sometimes I wonder if the generic "corn" terminology was not used on occasion in contemporary descriptions in the 1860's. Obviously, based on Teej's post below, broom corn was not maize at all.

                  Harry

                  Message 8 of 14 , Feb 20, 2009
                    That's funny. When I was a kid I remember seeing a new broom wrapped in
                    plastic. It said "made from the finest broom corn" and showed a picture of an ear
                    of corn! Evidently the advertiser hadn't done his research.

                    This was the best photo I could find online.

                    Teej

                    Message 9 of 14 , Feb 20, 2009
                      Harry;

                      I agree... "corn" meant generally any kind of grain being
                      grown... what we now know as "corn" was more properly termed
                      "maize"....

                    • GenHickox@aol.com

                        Message 11 of 14 , Feb 20, 2009
                          This was the best photo I could find online.

                          Sigh...well that didn't work so go to:

                          http://www.highhopesgardens.com/Blogphotos/broomcorn.jpg

                          Teej

                          .

                        • Harry Smeltzer
                          Message 12 of 14 , Feb 20, 2009
                            If I'm not mistaken, there is still a good bit of sorghum grown on the field at Antietam today.

                            Harry

                            Message 13 of 14 , Feb 21, 2009
                              Teej,

                              It almost "does" look like "food corn"!

                              > This was the best photo I could find online.
                              >

                              > Sigh...well that didn't work so go to:
                              >
                              > http://www.highhopesgardens.com/Blogphotos/broomcorn.jpg
                              >
                              > Teej
                              >

                              > .

                            • Dave
                              Message 14 of 14 , Feb 21, 2009
                                Learning about broom corn, from This Site
                                <http://www.newton.dep.anl.gov/natbltn/600-699/nb685.htm>.
                                I'm sure this isn't the sorghum planted around the field last year.
                                Ranger Mannie Gentile said they plant that because it's deer-resistant.

                                "Back in the late 1700's, Benjamin Franklin found a small seed on a
                                whisk broom that a friend had brought him from France for dusting his
                                beaver hat. Next spring he planted that seed and it grew into a tall corn-
                                like plant with a flowering brush of stiff fibers bearing seeds."

                                "Broomcorn is one of the sorghums. Unlike other sorghums which are
                                grown for grain, for fodder, or for making molasses, broomcorn's only
                                use is for brooms and brushes. It has been cultivated in Asia and Africa
                                since ancient times. Broom corn is planted in rows and cultivated like
                                ordinary field corn."

                                "One of two principal varieties grown is called 'standard and is usually
                                10 or 12 feet in height. The "dwarf" variety, grown only in the western
                                states, is about half as tall. Both kinds bear a brush of a few dozen
                                fibers up to two feet in length."

                                "Harvesting the crop and preparing it for the broom maker require a
                                great deal of hand labor. It is harvested before the seed matures --
                                before the fiber becomes brittle. First, a man walks backward between
                                two rows and breaks over the stalks, crisscross, to form what is known
                                as a "table". Next, each brush is cut off just below the crown and piled
                                in handfuls on this table. These are hauled to a machine with whirling,
                                spiked cylinders which knocks off the seed. Then the brush is spread on
                                racks in a drying shed where, after curing for two or three weeks, it is
                                compressed into bales weighing 350 to 450 pounds. All this must be
                                done carefully to yield good, untangled fiber for use in brooms."

                                Dave McGowan