Re: Sedgwick and the 12th Corps

    Message 1 of 30 , Feb 18 3:04 PM
      Thanks Teej,

      I have Winslow and use it extensively for Sedgwick info. I was hoping
      to find something written by McClellan or Sedgwick about this but
      Gibbon's and Whittier's quotes which basically agree with each other
      are better than nothing. I've found nothing in the OR's about this
      other than the two assignments for Sedgwick and Mansfield--still
      looking.

      Larry

      --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "Teej Smith" <teej@...> wrote:

      > Larry wrote:
      >
      > Since we have the two orders, one on the 13th for Sedgwick and
      then
      > one on the 15th appointing Mansfield, and nothing else, it makes
      it
      > difficult to understand what transpired between McClellan and
      > Sedgwick. Since the only primary source is Gibbon's
      recollections,
      > and what he says makes sense, perhaps we are stuck with it.
      >
      > Sorry for joining the discussion so late. If someone has
      already mentioned this, my apologies. There is a very short
      biography of Sedgwick written in 1982 by Richard Elliott Winslow
      III. Winslow wrote that Sedgwick was at "Farm Willow Grove" when he
      received the orders directing him to take command of 12th Corps. He
      quotes from the orders citing the ORs and then wrote, "It was a most
      tempting assignment if one desired rapid promotion. But Sedgwick
      declined the command, as he 'felt he could do better service with the
      troops which he knew and which knew him;' The cite for this brief
      quote is a manuscript written by one of Sedgwick's aides, Capt.
      Charles Albert Whittier. Whittier's manuscript is
      titled, "Reminiscences of the War, 1861-1865 or Egotistic Memoirs,
      C.A.W. Feb. 13, 1888. At the writing of the biography a typescript of
      the manuscript could be found at Boston Public Library, Boston, Mass.